NWA Weather

Well once again I have missed out on another big snowstorm by being down here in Texas. Officially Fayetteville got 13.5 inches of snow. I'm sure that in some areas of town there are some differences probably between 10-14 inches. I am wondering how much snow we have got for the entire season. I know that it has got to be somewhere close to 30 inch area. I really don't think that we will be adding anymore this season although Fayetteville has had up to 8.5 inches in mid April before...

I was wondering how long before you stopped by on this topic. I knew you would be keeping up with us. Yeah in my area of Fayetteville I think the most I noticed was 10". But you could tell it had been warm beforehand. After the snow stopped it was already slowly melting. Monday morning you could tell a decent amount of it had melted. Then a very large amount melted during the day yesterday. Looks like all that's left is about an inch in the shaded areas and those big piles of snow that were plowed in parking lots. Funny to see that much snow disappear so quickly. I guess you could call it a 'convenient snow'. The people who wanted snow got it and the people who didn't, well it really didn't hamper very much. Overall roads stayed in pretty good shape considering we're talking about a foot of snow. And it's also leaving very quickly. Had this happened in the middle of winter it might be a couple of weeks before it would be gone.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this. I heard there were a couple of locations in NWA that reported 15.5". It also sounds like Washington County ended up with the highest amounts. Although some areas like Siloam Springs also had some pretty high amounts as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how quickly things can change. It's been a little warm before now but inside still a little cool. Now seems like we're suddenly shifted to having to wear shorts inside as well. It's 64 this morning. Kansas City and Wichita are almost 70 this morning. Seems more like a summer type of morning. But at least the high temp is only supposed to be around 80, maybe low 80's. I'm not looking forward to those 90's. They're probably just around the corner.

Funny how quickly things can change. It's been a little warm before now but inside still a little cool. Now seems like we're suddenly shifted to having to wear shorts inside as well. It's 64 this morning. Kansas City and Wichita are almost 70 this morning. Seems more like a summer type of morning. But at least the high temp is only supposed to be around 80, maybe low 80's. I'm not looking forward to those 90's. They're probably just around the corner.

Seems like whenever it gets real warm like this in the early spring a bad storm system develops to end it. Looks like the forecast is calling for a storm Friday night but not real bad weather- hopefully it stays that way.

Certainly has felt warmer lately. I think it's the humidity that's made a big difference. But a cold front is on it's way. Our low temps are expected to drop down into the 30's. It doesn't look like we'll get down to freezing but there could be some problems with frost. Ironically we're getting close to April 10th. That tends to be the date to look for to know we're past any late cold snaps that can cause frost/freeze problems.

Yikes! 37 degrees this morning and a forecast of 31 tomorrow morning with possible frost- it's our yearly late spring cold snap. Hope not to many people have plants out early....

Yeah just like you said. Seems like lately we get at least one late one. This year it's right around the time we can usually be finished with any frosty mornings.

• 2 months later...

Past few days have been really nice. Although I'm sorta wondering if it just seems that way because of how hot late Spring was. Had some record highs around the official start of summer. The big difference was the drop in humidity. With that the days seems a lot nicer even thought it still got to the mid to upper 80's. But the morning lows really dropped with the lower humidity as well, with a couple of mornings in the low 60's. I was hoping to enjoy the weekend with those weather conditions but you can already tell the humidity is coming back. This morning the low was in the upper 60's instead and it's starting to feel not quite so pleasant. After a couple of days with the winds out of the northeast now winds are out of the southeast. Hope everyone enjoyed it because we probably won't experience that again for a few months.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we've finally reached the typical summer time weather pattern- very hot and very dry. wonder if it will rain again before September?

I imagine we'll eventually get more rain. We're actually still above average for the year, because of all that rain we got earlier in the year. But yeah you knew the typical summer conditions were going to return eventually. Late July and August seem to be the very worst of it around here.

• 2 weeks later...

it's been so hot lately! We have been out here for about 5 years, and this is the longest, hottest summer yet!. I am ready for fall...

Yeah the recent heatwave we've had has been the hottest we've been in three years. We've sorta been lucky the last couple of years and it really hasn't been too bad. Things have cooled down for now but looks like another heatwave could be on it's way next week.

Fayetteville hot 103 today. Hottest temp I've seen in a long time. I'd at least think it's the hottest temp we've had in a few years. A 'cool' front on it's way Sunday. Next week we should have highs around a nice 'cool' 90 instead.

Fayetteville hot 103 today. Hottest temp I've seen in a long time. I'd at least think it's the hottest temp we've had in a few years. A 'cool' front on it's way Sunday. Next week we should have highs around a nice 'cool' 90 instead.

Hey Mith, I heard something about they think the thermometer was off on that 103 temp and then I heard today's 100 was the highest yet this year. Have you heard anything about that?

Hey Mith, I heard something about they think the thermometer was off on that 103 temp and then I heard today's 100 was the highest yet this year. Have you heard anything about that?

I haven't but it wouldn't surprise me. I had noticed that day all the other weather sources I had checked were a bit cooler. I knew it was hot, but 103 did seem pretty high though.

• 2 weeks later...

Today certainly felt a lot better than recent weather. Although we got to the upper 80's rather than the low 80's that had been predicted. But it's the humidity that's making a huge difference. Humidity levels are down into the teens, closer to a desert climate than Arkansas. Especially at this time of year. Those really low humidity levels are also supposed to really help the temps drop like a rock tonight. Some forecasts are even saying we could hit the upper 40's. Hard to believe it's still August. Probably won't happen but we could be flirting with some record low temps the next couple of mornings. Of course it is still August so these temps aren't going to stay, it's too early to be Fall just yet. But it's certainly going to help put me in a mood for Autumn.

Record low this morning. Got down to 50 this morning. And you can tell we have some pretty dry air in the area, the temperature bounced back up to 90 this afternoon. The type of temperature swings you tend to see in desert climates. I think we might have had some upper 40's the morning before in the area. Although it actually didn't set any records. Really been enjoying this weather. I think the only real complaint is that we really need some rain. It's been more than 6 weeks since we've had measurable precip in most of the area. Looks like the winds will be shifting tonight or tomorrow bringing back warmer temps and more humidity. Get some small chances of rain middle of next week.

• 5 months later...

There might be another big ice storm on it's way to NWA. The forecast from Monday night into Tuesday is for a possible 1/4 inch of ice followed by 1-2 inches of sleet and 4-8 inches of snow. Sounds pretty scary- hopefully all the causes of the electricity outages of 2009 have been addressed and that situation won't happen again.

There might be another big ice storm on it's way to NWA. The forecast from Monday night into Tuesday is for a possible 1/4 inch of ice followed by 1-2 inches of sleet and 4-8 inches of snow. Sounds pretty scary- hopefully all the causes of the electricity outages of 2009 have been addressed and that situation won't happen again.

Not much has been addressed, or really could be inside of two years. Same vulnerable-to-ice overhead power lines most everywhere.

Not much has been addressed, or really could be inside of two years. Same vulnerable-to-ice overhead power lines most everywhere.

i'm thinkimg that the last ice storm pruned the trees enough that it won't be as bad this time.

sounds likt mostly snow and sleet is expected now. winds up to 35 mph though- that is a blizzrd!

Yeah hopefully we won't get hit with as much freezing rain. But overall this sounds like a pretty significant event. The I-44 corridor getting most of the snow to the north of us. Said there could be a 2100 mile swath from OK City to New England that gets at least a foot of snow. Looks like it's going to be very cold as well, not even including wind chills. I saw mention of some below zero temps.

29 degrees and precip. seems like it was freezing rain earlier and now mostly sleet. trees have a good coating of ice but it doesn't seem to be growing. I sure hope the electricity doesn't go out.....

Yeah luckily the temps fell quicker than predicted so the precip changed over more quickly as well. But of course temps are dropping and wind chills are pretty brutal.

Archived