NWA Weather

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still coming down- about as heavy as it has been all day, too. 5 inches of frozen stuff in NE Fayetteville. The radar looks almost clear now though.

Yeah, I think everyone hit the grocery stores and gas stations yesterday- today it was the liquor stores.

Oh yeah, I forgot...Wal Mart and convenience stores sell beer now also.

Ok...late night and the snow has ended. Here's some photos from the day. #1. Dickson Street is still the place to be whether you are in a nice warm vehicle or... #2. just warmly attired. #3. late in the afternoon a very heavy band of snow came through downtown.

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

Cool, thanks for the pics. Yeah I'd have to say 5" in my area of Fayetteville too. Overall sounds like the higher snow totals were east of us. North central Arkansas had the precip turn over to snow a lot sooner than it did here. I seen any snow totals for the state. But I have heard 10" mentioned at one north central Ark location. Wouldn't be too surprised if some isolated areas picked up a foot over there.

Thanks so much for the pictures. It really makes me wish I was there. I'm heading to Oklahoma City and western Oklahoma tomorrow, so at least I will get to see some snow. According to the NWS, Fayetteville had 6.8 inches at Drake Field. I don't know if that was just snow or sleet, ice, and snow all together. I have a feeling it is total accumulation of all wintery precip. Cool day today and then milder for the rest of the week. Highs around average in the lower 40s...

Had some sleet this morning. It was actually started to accumulate in may part of Fayetteville before it eventually switched back over to a cold rain. While it a cold rain in NWA it actually has been coming down as a wintry mix just to the east of NWA. North central Arkansas actually ended up with measurable freezing rain and even some snow. Probably some more wintry mix for tonight. Haven't heard too much about accumulations in Washington County. But sounds like there might be some accumulation in Benton and Carroll Counties along with north central Ark again. Still hearing about snow early next week. Sounds like there's even another system that could bring more wintry precip later next week as well. Looks like it could be pretty cold next week.

Well there's snow on the ground already. Looks slushy on the streets. Looks like so far it's mainly on the grassy and elevated surfaces. Maybe an inch just looking from inside early this morning. Looks like it's tapered off for now but sounds like it will pick back up later today and tonight. I've been hearing 4-9" by the time it's all over with.

Still a very light snow fall but it looks like we will end up with about 3 1/2 inches. Hard to tell how much fell since it was melting a lot as it fell.

22 degrees with a wind chill of 11 but there are still diehards out sledding tonight. :cold:

Yeah, like you said. It was odd that it was snowing with it being above freezing. So it didn't really end up sticking as much as expected. The front was slower to get here and the low pressure system went further south. I heard Little Rock got 5-6". I believe Fayetteville at the height of it had 4" on the ground but eventually some of that melted. Now the front is certainly here, 12 with a wind chill of 0.

Looks like officially Fayetteville got 5". But as mentioned a lot of it already melted. Looks to me like only a couple of inches is left. Roads were pretty slick this morning. But they've dried out now, even though we're still well below freezing. Saw in the newspaper today that the average amount of snow Fayetteville gets in the winter is 5.4". The record is 29" back in the winter of 1918. Not sure if they mean 1917-1918 or 1918-1919.

• 1 month later...

Weather has been a bit 'interesting' lately. After a warm spell things cooled off for a week or so. Oddly enough for that week NWA averaged a 15 degree difference than the rest of the state. Guess the Ozarks really held up the cool air. Then it's warmed up the last couple of days just in time for a big cold front to come through this weekend for the official start of Spring. Not only will it get much colder but they're predicting measurable snow. I think the Natl Weather Service has mentioned 4-8" for our region. Although I imagine the higher amounts will be more towards I-44.

Some of the more recent forecasts I've seen are basically just saying 1-3" for NWA. But it's really just going to depend on the tracking of the low pressure system. There's potential for a lot of snow if it tracks just right. Looks like possibly a foot of snow near the I-44 corridor just north and west of us.

I think the sleet started around the Fayetteville area at about 3PM, then the snow started roughly around 4PM. Getting close to 4:30PM and the snow is already accumulating in the elevated surfaces and grassy areas. The radars I'm seeing must be a little behind because they're not showing wintry precip in the Fayetteville area yet. Looks like the NW corner of Benton County has been getting wintry precip around late morning/noon. The way things are shaping up the heavy band of snow accumulations could be going through Benton County rather than the I-44 corridor.

Fayetteville seems to be in a bit of an odd position. It was reporting sleet and then snow when most of the rest of the county was basically reporting rain. After is snowed for a while around 5PM is switched back to sleet. And now as I'm writing this it seems to have switched once again over to snow. Could be one of those weather events where it keeps switching back and forth. The latest forecasts I've seen seem to be decreasing the amounts of precip for the region. But there's still the potential for some decent amounts of accumulation. You'd think temps ton ight would be cold enough for it to remain wintry precip. But there's also a dry slot coming. Precip could stop for quite a while before it picks back up. Right now looks like the snow is coming down pretty heavy and it's sticking to areas it wasn't a little earlier.

Yeah, the precip can't decide what it wants to do. It was rain off and on, then sleet,snow, sleet, light rain, snow with huge flakes and then back to light snow. I'm surprised it is sticking to the roads at all considering it was in the 60's the last two days.

Yeah, the precip can't decide what it wants to do. It was rain off and on, then sleet,snow, sleet, light rain, snow with huge flakes and then back to light snow. I'm surprised it is sticking to the roads at all considering it was in the 60's the last two days.

You can tell the ground is still warm. Now that's it's stopped for a while now it's all melting on the street even though it's below freezing now. But it's still sticking to anything up off the ground, even the grass. It's quieted down now but the snow will pick back up. I'm seeing forecasts all over the place. Some are cutting back the snow accumulations, some are actually increasing them.

I live in one of the denser areas of Fayetteville and really enjoy when it snows--with so many light sources around you can walk around very easily at night, like a semi-permanent twilight.

The snow on the ground hushes everything, plus with so many students gone it's deathly quiet around here.

I rather enjoy the combined effects.

Still snowing, although it's on the light side now. But it was heavier when I first got up. Certainly have had more accumulation. I haven't been outside to check but it looks like 3-4" so far. Sounds like snow could continue for a while today. Although it could mix with sleet or rain throughout the day. Sorta weird how the wintry precip seems mainly confined to the extreme western counties or Ark. It extends a bit into Carroll and Madison Counties before it turns back into rain. Even Springfield has been back and forth between the wintry precip and rain. My road looks slushy although it could be a bit icy, hard to tell. I'll be interested to hear about parts of Benton County. Sounds like parts of Benton County could end up with over a foot before it's all over. But I guess the good thing is that it will be short lived. Supposed to be back in the 60's by Tuesday.

Actually I think I need to revise those snow amounts. Now that's it's more light I can see there's more than 3-4" out there. I'd say 5-6" so far.

Okay I've actually been outside now to take some measurements. Still snowing, not too heavy but not that light either. The roads still just appear to be slushy. The amounts really seem to depend on what type of location. On the sidewalk a bit closer to the ground 5-6". On grassy areas a little bit higher up 6-7". Then even higher up on top of my vehicle it's around 8-9". I've heard some reports of over a foot of snow up in Bella Vista.

The Weather Channel is reporting Fayetteville to be at 10 maybe 11" of snow. Still snowing but not sure how much longer it may last. The rain wintry precip line seems to be slowly moving it's way south. Now it seems like it's made it's way down to the Missouri-Arkansas border. So we could end up with rain before today's over with.

This is such a weird weather pattern. First of all you have the fact it was so warm just the other day and now so much snow and we're supposed to be back in the 60's in just a couple of days. But the rain/snow line is also so odd. Right now all the snow is on the southerly end on this side of the low while up north in Missouri it's rain. Really odd to see rain up in Missouri and snow here and snow all the way down to southwest Ark.

Well once again I have missed out on another big snowstorm by being down here in Texas. Officially Fayetteville got 13.5 inches of snow. I'm sure that in some areas of town there are some differences probably between 10-14 inches. I am wondering how much snow we have got for the entire season. I know that it has got to be somewhere close to 30 inch area. I really don't think that we will be adding anymore this season although Fayetteville has had up to 8.5 inches in mid April before...

Archived