NWA Weather

Did anyone else see the story about the couple who had just moved from Berryville to Greensburg? They were there one week and the tornado wiped out their place. I watched an online broadcast of a Kansas televison station and they reported the couple were moving back to NWA. Welcome back!

NWA has some storms but we always seem to miss the really big ones like Greensburg and OKC (knock on wood). Is it because of the elevation? That's about the only difference I can see because central and eastern Arkansas seem to get hit regular also with big storms. What do you think, strmchsr?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else see the story about the couple who had just moved from Berryville to Greensburg? They were there one week and the tornado wiped out their place. I watched an online broadcast of a Kansas televison station and they reported the couple were moving back to NWA. Welcome back!

NWA has some storms but we always seem to miss the really big ones like Greensburg and OKC (knock on wood). Is it because of the elevation? That's about the only difference I can see because central and eastern Arkansas seem to get hit regular also with big storms. What do you think, strmchsr?

No, generally our elevation does not effect supercells. Many people think that tornadoes will not go across most of NWA's terrain but there are many cases of tornadoes going up and back down our hills. My best guess is that it has more to do with our location. We are just slightly too far east. What I mean by that is that most supercells seem to form in western OK, TX, or KS most of the time. When this happens it takes many hours for them to make their way across the state to NWA. During this time these supercells generally merge into either a squall line or Mesoscale Convective Complex. These are usually more condusive to strong straight line winds and hail. Also, when these storms form out west during the prime late afternoon and evening hours, around the max of daytime heating and instablility. Overnight they make their way here and they lose the heating and instablity. Late night and early morning are the most stable times of day so we just don't always get the "good" storms. Central and Eastern Arkansas get more becuase they are just far enough east that once the first line dies out over us, the next day of heating has started and the storms can regenerate along outflow boundries, a cold front, a dryline, or just an area of lift.

My only other theory is that it is me. I love the huge storms so I am always disappointed that they fall apart by the time they get to where I am. That is why I have to chase them because they don't come to me... :(

I hope that this explains a little. Most of this is just a theory that I have come up with from watching NWAs weather for most of my life.

I've wondered about that myself. If it's not the topography could it also be a bit of the factor of us having trees? I've noticed it's nowhere as windy here as the plain states where obviously they don't have as much in the way of trees. I've wondered if the stronger winds in general make it easier for stronger storms to happen as compared to here. While it's certainly possible to have some bad storms here it justs seems more uncommon compared to areas just west of us.

I thought it was just because weather systems blow away from here for some reason. The change in elevation might be a factor in pushing storms south or north of us. We typically don't get a lot of rainfall per year I think, especially compared to areas north or south of us (from what I heard from someone - nice facts huh?). Also, ever notice how it always snows easier in southwest missouri around Joplin area?

I've wondered about that myself. If it's not the topography could it also be a bit of the factor of us having trees? I've noticed it's nowhere as windy here as the plain states where obviously they don't have as much in the way of trees. I've wondered if the stronger winds in general make it easier for stronger storms to happen as compared to here. While it's certainly possible to have some bad storms here it justs seems more uncommon compared to areas just west of us.

The hills and trees play a part in the wind for sure. Like in western Oklahoma it is flat compared to here and the are fewer trees so there is less resistance on the wind and therefore can be windier. Stonger winds can play a part in the strength of storms in a more indirect way. For example they can bring in warmer more moist air faster which might give the storms more energy to work with.

I thought it was just because weather systems blow away from here for some reason. The change in elevation might be a factor in pushing storms south or north of us. We typically don't get a lot of rainfall per year I think, especially compared to areas north or south of us (from what I heard from someone - nice facts huh?). Also, ever notice how it always snows easier in southwest missouri around Joplin area?

We actually average around 45 inches of precip per year. As you travel south and eastward from or area, the average precip rates increase. And if you go westward, the average precip rates go down. For example the Oklahoma City area averages around 35 inches per year and out in TX panhandle rainfall can be less than 20 inches per year. The gulf of Mexico really helps our area out by bringing in plenty of moisture.

We always seem to be on the border w/ snowfall here. It is usually a degree or 2 too warm, but it varies from year to year. Our Average snowfall in NWA is about 12 inches. I would guess SW MO average from 12-15 inches. Then if you go south to Ft Smith and drop in elevation around a 1000 feet, they average less than 6 inches.

We actually average around 45 inches of precip per year. As you travel south and eastward from or area, the average precip rates increase. And if you go westward, the average precip rates go down. For example the Oklahoma City area averages around 35 inches per year and out in TX panhandle rainfall can be less than 20 inches per year. The gulf of Mexico really helps our area out by bringing in plenty of moisture.

We always seem to be on the border w/ snowfall here. It is usually a degree or 2 too warm, but it varies from year to year. Our Average snowfall in NWA is about 12 inches. I would guess SW MO average from 12-15 inches. Then if you go south to Ft Smith and drop in elevation around a 1000 feet, they average less than 6 inches.

I think our average snowfall will be going down. Granted I guess it will take quite a few years to really influence the average.

I think our average snowfall will be going down. Granted I guess it will take quite a few years to really influence the average.

Well, the 2002-2003 season we had between 24-30 inches across NWA. Since then we have been closer to 6-8 inches per season. Hopefully we will get back to at least a foot or two next winter. :cold:

Well, the 2002-2003 season we had between 24-30 inches across NWA. Since then we have been closer to 6-8 inches per season. Hopefully we will get back to at least a foot or two next winter. :cold:

I wouldn't have guessed that much for the 2002-2003 winter.

No, generally our elevation does not effect supercells. Many people think that tornadoes will not go across most of NWA's terrain but there are many cases of tornadoes going up and back down our hills. My best guess is that it has more to do with our location. We are just slightly too far east. What I mean by that is that most supercells seem to form in western OK, TX, or KS most of the time. When this happens it takes many hours for them to make their way across the state to NWA. During this time these supercells generally merge into either a squall line or Mesoscale Convective Complex. These are usually more condusive to strong straight line winds and hail. Also, when these storms form out west during the prime late afternoon and evening hours, around the max of daytime heating and instablility. Overnight they make their way here and they lose the heating and instablity. Late night and early morning are the most stable times of day so we just don't always get the "good" storms. Central and Eastern Arkansas get more becuase they are just far enough east that once the first line dies out over us, the next day of heating has started and the storms can regenerate along outflow boundries, a cold front, a dryline, or just an area of lift.

My only other theory is that it is me. I love the huge storms so I am always disappointed that they fall apart by the time they get to where I am. That is why I have to chase them because they don't come to me... :(

I hope that this explains a little. Most of this is just a theory that I have come up with from watching NWAs weather for most of my life.

That makes a lot of sense. I've noticed that sometimes there will be a line of really bad storms over in central Oklahoma in the afternoon and by the time they reach here in the middle of the night they are mostly just rain and a little wind. I've always enjoyed watching storms roll in myself. I stood in my front yard as a teenager and took photos of a tornado about a mile or so away. It was amazing and sounded just like a freight train. Besides wiping out a vacant mobile home and uprooting trees it didn't do much damage so it turned out good. The video that was on CNN was amazing and more than a little scary. I hope you are careful out there and good luck with the chase.

That makes a lot of sense. I've noticed that sometimes there will be a line of really bad storms over in central Oklahoma in the afternoon and by the time they reach here in the middle of the night they are mostly just rain and a little wind. I've always enjoyed watching storms roll in myself. I stood in my front yard as a teenager and took photos of a tornado about a mile or so away. It was amazing and sounded just like a freight train. Besides wiping out a vacant mobile home and uprooting trees it didn't do much damage so it turned out good. The video that was on CNN was amazing and more than a little scary. I hope you are careful out there and good luck with the chase.

Thanks Zman, I will try and be careful. I don't know if I will be chasing any time soon though. Just too much going on w/ work and stuff. I know that in about 5 years my wife and I will be moving to western Oklahoma so that she can take over a doctors clinic and a hospital. So, I had started thinking about chasing full time when that happens but that is along way away.

Nothing too exciting going on in the weather this weekend. Should just stay warm and humid. Next chance of storms will come at the beginning of the week.

Looks like some cooler drier weather will be here middle of the upcoming week. Some are even predicting some 40's for lows.

Yep, it should be much nicer from tomorrow through the weekend. Highs in the low to mid 70s and lows in the low to mid 40s. There is a chance of storms tomorrow afternoon as this cold front comes through. There is not too big of a risk of severe storms but there is still a slight chance that a few could form.

Yep, it should be much nicer from tomorrow through the weekend. Highs in the low to mid 70s and lows in the low to mid 40s. There is a chance of storms tomorrow afternoon as this cold front comes through. There is not too big of a risk of severe storms but there is still a slight chance that a few could form.

I haven't seen the official highs but we might have set a record high today. I'm certainly looking forward to the cooler temps later this week.

There were some pretty good storms in the area this afternoon. We had some small hail and 40-50 mph winds in north Fayetteville. Along with some extremely heavy rain. Then this evening the cold front came through and dropped temps even more. We should have a very nice week with much cooler temps and dry conditions.

I just hope this weather holds up till this weekend. Of course if gas prices keep going up I might want to rethink just how far away I go to do some hiking.

It looks like it is going to be mostly sunny and mild all weekend. Next chance of storms comes in early next week. By the way, Drake Field made it down to 40 degrees last night. Pretty cool for mid May.

It looks like it is going to be mostly sunny and mild all weekend. Next chance of storms comes in early next week. By the way, Drake Field made it down to 40 degrees last night. Pretty cool for mid May.

Every once in a while we seem to get a cool snap at the beginning of June. This time it happened more in mid to late May. I'm certainly not complaining about it. :D

Let's all give a moment of thanks for it being

1. Saturday

2. 75 degrees with brilliant sunshine

3. a nice breeze

4. no humidity

5. and no traffic in Fayetteville for some odd reason

I LOVE northwest Arkansas. I really really do!

Let's all give a moment of thanks for it being

1. Saturday

2. 75 degrees with brilliant sunshine

3. a nice breeze

4. no humidity

5. and no traffic in Fayetteville for some odd reason

I LOVE northwest Arkansas. I really really do!

Re: 5. No traffic in Fayetteville was probably helped by the FLW Wal-Mart Tour in Rogers. This is supposed to be the biggest FLW Tour with over 10,000 people visiting the Family Fun Zone at the John Q. Hammons Convention Center today and also runs tomorrow at 10 a.m.

Archived