Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

Thanks. I will pass it along. I think they'd like to have some kind of music venue that complements what's already happening on Broadway and Second.

As you know, I've been sold on this project for quite some time. But hearing that there may be some kind of music venue added to Broadway complimenting what's happening on Broadway and Second absolutely cements this thing in my mind. This is just "music" to my ears! Let's build this thing!

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I will pass it along. I think they'd like to have some kind of music venue that complements what's already happening on Broadway and Second.

One thing downtown is missing is a lounge/restaurant along the lines of Cabana, Sambuca, Virago, Ombi, or Layl'a Rul. I'm assuming the Westin would contain a nice, hip restaurant.

Wow you guys are an active bunch. FYI I was ribbing Keith. I had actually passed this forum site onto the Barber and Sage folks some weeks ago for the express purpose of maybe getting them engaged in the discussion as well as to see what you guys were writing. Keith is there was a way for you to post a link for what you guys gave me today I think folks would like that.

I actually consider this bad news. The Trail West building is worthless. The 3rd Ave side of the building gives NOTHING to the pedestrian! The article also states that they will not build on top of the TW, but if I remember the design correctly, that's about where the condo's were going to be.

prguy, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Trail West building is worthless...

...correct me if I'm wrong.

I know that I am misquoting you here, but I couldn't resist it:

You are wrong!

Underneath that hilarious Po-Tay-Toe Country Siding on the Trail West's Broadway facade is some nice classical detailing--I'd bet the farm on it! It needs to be fixed, but it really isn't worthless.

No it really is worthless. Is this whole thing a big joke? Has anyone actually looked at the building? We want to save it ?!?!?!????? I would encourage you guys to go into many of the older buildings downtown if you get the chance. I would much rather have a nice taxpaying hotel build entirely with private funds than this building.

Also NewTowner in another post you mentioned limiting the height of downtown buildings to reduce the market value of the properties. That may be the scariest thing you have ever posted.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NEWS05/60711013

Here's a Tennessean update on the proposed hotel. How many buildings are now proposed to be torn down. Just the Richards building?

The Richards building is not part of the project. The hotel would fit between the Trail West bldg and Richards and Richards.

One thing downtown is missing is a lounge/restaurant along the lines of Cabana, Sambuca, Virago, Ombi, or Layl'a Rul. I'm assuming the Westin would contain a nice, hip restaurant.

The plans call for a restaurant to services the hotel and condos. I'm not sure, but I think the Westin folks would have a say in what kind of restaurant. I'll check on this one for you.

Wow you guys are an active bunch. FYI I was ribbing Keith. I had actually passed this forum site onto the Barber and Sage folks some weeks ago for the express purpose of maybe getting them engaged in the discussion as well as to see what you guys were writing. Keith is there was a way for you to post a link for what you guys gave me today I think folks would like that.

Richard is referring to a series of meetings the developer had yesterday with members of the media. I may be able to get a couple of renderings in pdf format if anyone is interested.

I actually consider this bad news. The Trail West building is worthless. The 3rd Ave side of the building gives NOTHING to the pedestrian! The article also states that they will not build on top of the TW, but if I remember the design correctly, that's about where the condo's were going to be.

prguy, correct me if I'm wrong.

They will not build on top of the TW building. Condo lobby and entrance would be on the Third Ave. side. Staff entrance for hotel employees would be on the Third Ave. side. Condos are on second and third floor of the TW and adjacent building. There are also some condos in the Westin tower.

NewTowner is correct. I think there is much there that is worth saving. I like the idea of a new Westin in the area very much- just not on this site. Once a building is demolished, you can't replace it.

TW and adjacent building would be restored under the present plan. Facade would be removed, windows reopened, etc. Second and third floors would be devoted to condos. First floor to retail -- preferably a music or music history venue.

Richard is referring to a series of meetings the developer had yesterday with members of the media. I may be able to get a couple of renderings in pdf format if anyone is interested.

I would love to see them if possible.

"The Richards building is not part of the project. The hotel would fit between the Trail West bldg and Richards and Richards."

Just looking at what the proposals in the media have stated about the Richards and Richards building.

From the Nashville Post

No it really is worthless. Is this whole thing a big joke? Has anyone actually looked at the building? We want to save it ?!?!?!????? I would encourage you guys to go into many of the older buildings downtown if you get the chance. I would much rather have a nice taxpaying hotel build entirely with private funds than this building.

Also NewTowner in another post you mentioned limiting the height of downtown buildings to reduce the market value of the properties. That may be the scariest thing you have ever posted.

No, it really isn't worthless. You might think that the Barn Siding is applied sculpture, but it isn't. Like a thin coat of false pretensions, it can be easily removed--exposing a lovely fa

I really like this project. I think it will bring a lot of activity to that block and just think of the tax revenue and jobs it will create. People like Westin Hotels and we're certainly in the business of catering to visitors in Nashville. Also, I know a LOT of locals who stay in hotels downtown when they party so don't think of this project as something only for out-of-town visitors.

One thing I would like to see is a commitment to something musical - a live music venue. maybe a House of Blues or something like that. The days of hotels delivering a unique dining/entertainment option are over. Don't expect some grand new restaurant from Westin - it aint gonna happen.

I'm ok with the street level look on Broad, but the actual hotel looks like an outdated hospital.

I agree. I don't find the tower portion attractive. It might as well be 300' and more slender. IMO, given the choice, that would be much more attractive.

Archived