Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

First, let me say I am a public relations professional who has been engaged to help the developers of the proposed Westin communicate their plans to the public. I have read this thread with great interest, and appreciate the comments from all sides.

I am sure all of you know, but there are a couple of meetings this Wednesday where the developers will present the plans-to-date and take questions and comments.

The first is a meeting hosted by the Downtown Partnership. It starts at 11:30 a.m. Judging from the quality of the discourse in this thread, I rather imagine some (if not many) of you are members of the DP. If not, I'll bet you could email Tom Turner and get in.

The second is the Urban Design Forum, and it starts at 5:30 at the Nashville Civic Design Center at 138 2nd Avenue North, Suite 106.

I think Mr. Lawson was just ribbin' ya. Some of us are not in Nashville at the moment and I would appreciate it if you could provide any info on potential revisions to the plans. (Before or after the meetings since I know it could be a sensitive situation when you can release information)

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Mr. Lawson was just ribbin' ya. Some of us are not in Nashville at the moment and I would appreciate it if you could provide any info on potential revisions to the plans. (Before or after the meetings since I know it could be a sensitive situation when you can release information)

Richard and I are acquaintances. I took no offense. But I do not want to offend the spirit of the thread. I am happy to provide whatever information I can to the group, or to direct you to individuals who have the information.

First of all, welcome to the planet prguy.

I think that we are finally starting to draw some attention to this forum to make positive change for our city. This goes to show that we never know who reads the forum.

I would encourage everyone to share their opinions and the reasons for the opinion in order that this or any other project can get some feed back.

I have changed my opinion on this project from the beginning after looking at the properties in question. I will say I am not a fan of the look of the project and all the glass involved. I would like to see it fit in a little more with the designs of the buildings close by.

I am sure a few of the other can off some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Take it easy on him. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up, prguy, and welcome! I'll definitely try to make one of those meetings. Are they open to the general public, or do you have to be members of the DP and CDC?

I believe the CDC is open. I feel like Tom Turner would let someone come if they asked.

Welcome prguy to this forum. It's great to have you on so that we have an opportunity to give you input on this most important project. I, for one, think this is a much needed project. I think the most recent changes to the project have addressed the street issues and historic district adequately, and support it as currently designed. I know there are many others in my camp, but there are also many others that feel differently. Good luck on getting this project started. I'm rooting for you!

prguy, Welcome! And you've got support here from me but I'm concerned about the facade bordering 2nd/Broadway and most importantly 3rd Ave (what if anything is going on here?). Height w/ setback doesn't bother me at all, in fact I think it would be good. I just don't want a sheer wall on 3rd and, although I know plans are finalized, I would like to see a 'historic' facade on at least 2nd/Broadway. But even I admit that a modern facade could be possible if tasteful.

Thanks for the info!

prguy, Welcome! And you've got support here from me but I'm concerned about the facade bordering 2nd/Broadway and most importantly 3rd Ave (what if anything is going on here?). Height w/ setback doesn't bother me at all, in fact I think it would be good. I just don't want a sheer wall on 3rd and, although I know plans are finalized, I would like to see a 'historic' facade on at least 2nd/Broadway. But even I admit that a modern facade could be possible if tasteful.

Thanks for the info!

A greatly embellished fa

I (even though I am scared to) disagree with NT. I DO think that 2nd should be preserved as a historic facade, and I also agree that all sides of the building should front the street with something to offer to the public. However, I don't think that any building/developer should have any problem with the fact that they are a 21st century building and (within limits) showing that statement on on side or another. I feel that the way this building is set-back that it makes itself human-scale. It should be able to flaunt itself as a modern building as long as it keeps it's pride secluded from a historic district. If ths building goes forward, it should understand it's link between an old historic area, and a new devoloping urban neighborhood.

I will pass along all your comments to the developers. Hopefully, some of you can attend the Civic Design meeting tomorrow at 5:30. I talked to Tom Turner at the Downtown Partnership and he indicated he could accommodate some folks at his presentation tomorrow at 11:30 a.m. in the DP offices.

I have some basic project fact points that I can post, if that meets with everyone's approval. They don't speak to some of the specifics that have been raised so far, but do encapsulate the project progress to date.

Just let me know.

This hotel needs to be built bigger and by bigger I mean it needs more rooms. Hind sight is 20/20 and believe me when I say that the people at the Hilton would love to be a couple of hundred rooms bigger. Having been in the industry for 10+ years at all levels my gut tells me that in the near future this hotel will wish that it was built bigger. JMO though.

I DO think that 2nd should be preserved as a historic facade, ...

FYI - There is no historic facade, or any other facade for that matter, facing 2nd Ave on this site. 2nd and Broad is currently a surface lot. If you mean that they should build something new that fits with the historic character of the district, I agree.

prguy - Please feel free to post any info that you feel comfortable sharing. I'm sure everyone would love to hear it.

Keeping in mind that this is a project still in discussions, here are some basic fact points:

* The Barber Group and Sage Hospitality Resources propose a 350-room Westin Hotel and a 56-unit condominium project at the corner of Broadway and Second Avenue.

* Total size of the project is approximately $100 million, including land.

* Sage Hospitality specializes in developing properties in historically sensitive areas, and has earned complements for its work in several cities, including San Diego, California; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Providence, Rhode Island.

* The project would include the property now occupied by Trail West, at the corner of Third and Broadway. Project plans call for converting this building into a retail space on the ground floor, and condominium units on the second and third floors. The two buildings do not have individual Historic designation but are contributors to the historic district.

* The Trail West and adjoining building would be renovated and restored, in keeping with the historic look and feel of Broadway. The restoration would not negatively affect Lower Broadway

* At this time, the project envisions 25 percent of the condominium units to be set aside as affordable housing.

Thanks prguy. From my observations of past downtown projects, affordable housing units often imply the city's involvement in the form of TIF money. Is there TIF involved in this project?

Thanks prguy. From my observations of past downtown projects, affordable housing units often imply the city's involvement in the form of TIF money. Is there TIF involved in this project?

At this point, it is something under consideration by the developers. But, no final decision has been made at this time, nor have there been -- at least to my knowledge -- any discussions about TIF with Metro. My understanding is Metro desires more affordable units downtown. But again, there are a number of other issues that have to be addressed first.

Keeping in mind that this is a project still in discussions, here are some basic fact points:

* The Barber Group and Sage Hospitality Resources propose a 350-room Westin Hotel and a 56-unit condominium project at the corner of Broadway and Second Avenue.

* Total size of the project is approximately $100 million, including land.

* Sage Hospitality specializes in developing properties in historically sensitive areas, and has earned complements for its work in several cities, including San Diego, California; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Providence, Rhode Island.

* The project would include the property now occupied by Trail West, at the corner of Third and Broadway. Project plans call for converting this building into a retail space on the ground floor, and condominium units on the second and third floors. The two buildings do not have individual Historic designation but are contributors to the historic district.

* The Trail West and adjoining building would be renovated and restored, in keeping with the historic look and feel of Broadway. The restoration would not negatively affect Lower Broadway

prguy, is there a revised rendering of what those plans are? Also, do you have any examples of where Sage Hospitality and the Barber Group have successfully completed restoration projects of a historic structure while also building a new structure? thanks

prguy, is there a revised rendering of what those plans are? Also, do you have any examples of where Sage Hospitality and the Barber Group have successfully completed restoration projects of a historic structure while also building a new structure? thanks

No new renderings at this time. They will have some graphics to show at tomorrow's meetings showing how the project fits into the skyline from different angles.

Sage and Barber have two other projects in various stages in Arkansas, but nothing completed at this point. Sage has developed other properties in historic areas. Specific cities are listed in the fact points I posted earlier today.

Seems like you really have a quality proposal and are trying hard to fit into the historic area. One of my requests would be: Please make the retail useful. It needs to be more than just your regular hotel shop with candy, t-shirts and Tylenol. Shops that hotel guests, other tourists, and residents alike can use and enjoy would be much appreaciated.

Seems like you really have a quality proposal and are trying hard to fit into the historic area. One of my requests would be: Please make the retail useful. It needs to be more than just your regular hotel shop with candy, t-shirts and Tylenol. Shops that hotel guests, other tourists, and residents alike can use and enjoy would be much appreaciated.

Thanks. I will pass it along. I think they'd like to have some kind of music venue that complements what's already happening on Broadway and Second.

Archived