Westin on Lower Broad

QuietMike

Actually, I'm much more comfortable with this proposal. It appears that the tower would not overshadow the LoBro block. I still believe that if a multi-level cluster of shops and restaurants on the southwestern corner of the building (overlooking the Schermerhorn and the ramps to the pedestrian bridge) would add so much to that area of downtown. I would think it would be a big plus to the planning commission too.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for this proposal. I'm no expert on the historical nature of these buildings but if this block can be revitalized, there is no doubt that it would be an enormous improvement. The Trail West facade is nothing to get nostalgic about. If the developer is willing to work with the salvageable buildings, then I say bust out the crane!

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...p;news_id=50592

I will be interested to see what the rendering updates from this morning's MDHA hearing on this issue will be. I guess the Westin will be adressing 2nd instead of Broadway since the developers are quoted as saying that they are not disrupting the historic buildings at all?

I looked at the block this morning during my walk, and let's face it: There's nothing "historic" about it; it certainly lacks the character and "presence" that, say, a number of other buildings have.

Furthermore, if the Lower Broad is such a "gem," then why is the three-block stretch so dumpy looking--the street scape's a mess, the sidewalks are filthy, and the neon-sineage is garish? Clearly, the Westin would clean up a junky block, give tourists a place to stay close-by, and perhaps lead to a clean-up of the area. Yes, I'm all for "historic preservation," but I see nothing "historic" about the dumpy Trail-West building.

While I don't think this would be as detrimental as many, one thing I think should be given more thought is the fact that they are doing almost nothing with the back and one side of the building. I think that the building shouldn't neglect some facades entirely, while working on Broadway a lot. I'll be intrested to see the new proposal, and how they've changed it.

I think the more "historic" part of lower broad is accross the street where Tootsie's and Roberts Western Wear is. I would love it if the Ryman would become the full time "Opry" again (get it out of that giant, ugly brick cavern at Opryland) and the country artists would agree to go over to Tootsie's, RWW, and the other juke joints that would pop up and perform after the Opry shows. Can you imagine how hoppin' Lower Broad would be if todays Country stars would do that like the old-timers used to do?

As for the Trail-West Bldg...it doesn't seem to be worth saving in its present state. I'd rather see the Westin there than what's there now. But...it would be nice to maybe see some other, less giant structures there along Broad.

I think it was mentioned before that the area has a historic designation as the area of a few blocks and they are worried that the removal of any part of the buildings within that area would cause the entire area to lose the historic designation...so I think the Trail West facade may have to be preserved to help preserve the designation of the area as a whole...I could be way off on this, but it was my earlier understanding

I have made myself clear about the Nashville Historical Commission before. It is a strictly political position they have put themselves in. The NHC has no interest in saving properties that do not contribute to their best interest. I could list thousands of buildings lost in Davidson County to prove my point. It is time for the redneck/great unwashed/blue collar element of Lower Broadway to fade away into the past. I love the old architecture, but the laughable honky tonks filled with bad musicians does nothing for this city except to degrade us and drag the city into the sewer pit where that type of atmosphere belongs.

I would rather see Lower Broadway filled with art galleries, hip coffee shops, jazz clubs, hip clothing stores, and the like rather than the ilk of bad country music and tourist traps that take poor people for all they are worth, exploit them and spit them back out again.

Country music has gone from the art of Hank Williams Sr. and Kris Kristopherson to the crass, unintelligent, garbage of the Muzik Mafia and Nashville continues to support such ridiculous crap. This is what the historical commission wants to preserve? Bullcrap! They are only thinking about tourist dollars and not common sence.

A great built environment is indicative of not only great architecture, but intelligent design and intelligent people. Lower Broadway does not celebrate intelligence, but rather it rewards poverty and bad taste. Nashville has a history of art and great literature. This legacy is often swept under the rug by organizations like the NHC. Robert Penn Warren and the Fugitives (The southern agrarian writers from Vanderbilt, Sewannee and other southern schools) have done more for this culture of Nashville than any of the Honky Tonks ever will. It is an insult to the Schermerhorn legacy to even think of preserving Lower Broadway as it is rather than constructing something of beauty as the Westin Hotel.

Keep Tootsies, but bag the rest. Its time for a metamorphisis on Lower Broadway and the Westin is a start.

I have made myself clear about the Nashville Historical Commission before. It is a strictly political position they have put themselves in. The NHC has no interest in saving properties that do not contribute to their best interest. I could list thousands of buildings lost in Davidson County to prove my point. It is time for the redneck/great unwashed/blue collar element of Lower Broadway to fade away into the past. I love the old architecture, but the laughable honky tonks filled with bad musicians does nothing for this city except to degrade us and drag the city into the sewer pit where that type of atmosphere belongs.

I would rather see Lower Broadway filled with art galleries, hip coffee shops, jazz clubs, hip clothing stores, and the like rather than the ilk of bad country music and tourist traps that take poor people for all they are worth, exploit them and spit them back out again.

Country music has gone from the art of Hank Williams Sr. and Kris Kristopherson to the crass, unintelligent, garbage of the Muzik Mafia and Nashville continues to support such ridiculous crap. This is what the historical commission wants to preserve? Bullcrap! They are only thinking about tourist dollars and not common sence.

A great built environment is indicative of not only great architecture, but intelligent design and intelligent people. Lower Broadway does not celebrate intelligence, but rather it rewards poverty and bad taste. Nashville has a history of art and great literature. This legacy is often swept under the rug by organizations like the NHC. Robert Penn Warren and the Fugitives (The southern agrarian writers from Vanderbilt, Sewannee and other southern schools) have done more for this culture of Nashville than any of the Honky Tonks ever will. It is an insult to the Schermerhorn legacy to even think of preserving Lower Broadway as it is rather than constructing something of beauty as the Westin Hotel.

Keep Tootsies, but bag the rest. Its time for a metamorphisis on Lower Broadway and the Westin is a start.

Doormanpoet: I couldn't agree with you more. The area's a dump, and has really nothing to do with country music aside from being a tourist trap.

Doorman...I can not agree with you in destroying the country music aspect of Lower Broad. First of all...country music of today is not all about the Muzik Mafia. Matter of fact...very little of it is about the Mafia...and, the Mafia is beginning to fade away as we speak. Hank and Kris were here in two different eras and were surrounded in the country music world by other "Mafia" type stars that were opposite of their "art." Same goes for today. Along with Big and Rich and Gretchen Wilson, we still have George Strait, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley for the more traditional crowd....we have Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban for the more "pop" crowd...we have Martina McBride, Sara Evans, Trisha Yearwood, Reba McEntire belting out year after year of hits...we have newcomers like Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, Eric Church, and many others destined to keep the torch ablaze. Country Music is the ONE thing that Nashville creates that you can't find anywhere else in the world. I say we do not destroy all that is Country in this city to try and keep up with the Joneses of the world.

Sorry...don't know how that happened. Here...I'll try again:

Doorman...I can not agree with you in destroying the country music aspect of Lower Broad. First of all...country music of today is not all about the Muzik Mafia. Matter of fact...very little of it is about the Mafia...and, the Mafia is beginning to fade away as we speak. Hank and Kris were here in two different eras and were surrounded in the country music world by other "Mafia" type stars that were opposite of their "art." Same goes for today. Along with Big and Rich and Gretchen Wilson, we still have George Strait, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley for the more traditional crowd....we have Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban for the more "pop" crowd...we have Martina McBride, Sara Evans, Trisha Yearwood, Reba McEntire belting out year after year of hits...we have newcomers like Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, Eric Church, and many others destined to keep the torch ablaze. Country Music is the ONE thing that Nashville creates that you can't find anywhere else in the world. I say we do not destroy all that is Country in this city to try and keep up with the Joneses of the world.

I love the old architecture, but the laughable honky tonks filled with bad musicians does nothing for this city except to degrade us and drag the city into the sewer pit where that type of atmosphere belongs.

Oh, and yeah, help fill your hotel.

I am amazed at how short-sighted folks can be. I expect it from some of the less thoughtful folks in the world, but not the great doormanpoet. Honkey-tonk, like it or not, is part of the Nashville brand. Embrace it or not, but make the best of it, surround it with quality cultural opportunities, don't cut off our nose to spite our face. You all seem pretty eager to bag the Trail West, but you forget the plan destroys the Richards and Richards building, which has an incredible amount of potential. And yes, Trail West is ugly, but it wouldn't be if someone ripped the stupid barn siding off. Build the hotel a few blocks further south and help SoBro progress; rehab the TW, R&R and even put in some new shops to support the hotel traffic. Everyone acts like the site is the only one that would ever work for a Westin. If they want to be downtown, they will find a more suitable location. If not, someone else will take their place. We should support and encourage quality development but we do not have to grovel before every developer that comes to town.

And pass the PBR. This blue-collar boy is thirsty.

Oh, and yeah, help fill your hotel.

I am amazed at how short-sighted folks can be. I expect it from some of the less thoughtful folks in the world, but not the great doormanpoet. Honkey-tonk, like it or not, is part of the Nashville brand. Embrace it or not, but make the best of it, surround it with quality cultural opportunities, don't cut off our nose to spite our face. You all seem pretty eager to bag the Trail West, but you forget the plan destroys the Richards and Richards building, which has an incredible amount of potential. And yes, Trail West is ugly, but it wouldn't be if someone ripped the stupid barn siding off. Build the hotel a few blocks further south and help SoBro progress; rehab the TW, R&R and even put in some new shops to support the hotel traffic. Everyone acts like the site is the only one that would ever work for a Westin. If they want to be downtown, they will find a more suitable location. If not, someone else will take their place. We should support and encourage quality development but we do not have to grovel before every developer that comes to town.

And pass the PBR. This blue-collar boy is thirsty.

Well said Cliff. While I still think it is possible to please both parties by keeping some of the facades of the old buildings while allowing for a bold new hotel to grace lobro, I find it so frustrating that some people are so quick to suggest that we should destroy the old honky tonks. Country music is something so unique to our city and however ridiculous and cheesy it has become (honkytonk badonkadonk? wtf?), it is something alot more precious to Nashville than Robert Penn Warren. See every city has a great writer (or in some cases many great writers). Only one city in the world has country music like Nashville does. Very few cities in the country are as associated with one genre of music like country and Nashville. With rock music you have New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, memphis etc. With Blues you got memphis and New Orleans. With rap you have LA, NY, Philly, etc....With Country music you have Nashville.

It would be such a huge loss to our city to lose the cheesyness of Lower Broad. We have plenty other areas of town that would be perfect for trendy coffeshops, hip clothing, book stores etc (hillsboro village, 12thsouth, east nashville, west end, etc), why destroy the one unique piece of musical history that nashville alone has. Every city has coffee shops and clothing stores...what other city has honky tonks?

But I do think that lower broadway could still handle this hotel...it would just have to be done right and needs lost of input from the community.

I agree that country music and lowrer broad is vital to Nashville, both our history and our future. Doorman I am suprised that you would paint with such a broad brush because I have seen your passion for Nashville.

That being said bring on the Westin. Trailwest is laughable, Richards and Richards is a plain old brick building, Decades???!!??? Could something be made of them? Sure, but where are these people that want to develop all these retail many keep mentioning? The block has been in disrepair for some time. We have a viable propsal on the table. It is not perfect but seems workable. Maybe the reason they are not looking towards Sobro is that this is where they made the best deal for the property. Obviously the owners of the Trailwest Building and R and R wharehouse are on board. Should these property owners that have invested in these properties not be able to make a simple business transaction because some senses are offended by the scale? Please...

Lets not forgert that the Wildhorse, the project that may consider the catalyst for 2nd Ave. development actually DEMOLISHED their building overnight and built a replica because that was more cost effective than rehabbing the old property.

Sometimes an old building is just an old building!

I've got to admit I'm a bit taken aback by the wholesale designation of what makes us unique as nothing more than cheesy, dumpy and a worthless eyesore. I won't state what others have done so in such eloquent terms, titanhog, nashvillebound, lukin, cliff...but come on dp. Might I suggest really researching all that happened on those few blocks over the years to make it a unique place in American history, and then think again. I personally find this area fascinating. We've got more trendy coffee shops and boutiques than you can shake a stick at with dozens more on the way.

If we kill the history and the draw that is Lower Broad, then we might as well change our branding to "Now We're Just Like the Rest of You." One big glass of homogenized milk. I don't see that working for us.

I've got to admit I'm a bit taken aback by the wholesale designation of what makes us unique as nothing more than cheesy, dumpy and a worthless eyesore. I won't state what others have done so in such eloquent terms, titanhog, nashvillebound, lukin, cliff...but come on dp. Might I suggest really researching all that happened on those few blocks over the years to make it a unique place in American history, and then think again. I personally find this area fascinating. We've got more trendy coffee shops and boutiques than you can shake a stick at with dozens more on the way.

If we kill the history and the draw that is Lower Broad, then we might as well change our branding to "Now We're Just Like the Rest of You." One big glass of homogenized milk. I don't see that working for us.

What's so darned special about Lower Broad?--yes, there' s Tootsies and Ernest Tubb, but the majority of what's left is . . . well, crap. Junky stores, junky buildings, and junky music is not what country music's about. If LoBro consisted of bonafide music venues (most of what's there is largely "drunk" dancing music), then we'd have an argument. Frankly, I'd love to see some "real" showcase venues rather than what we have now: Pappy's banjo night, Cousin Kitty's Whirl and Twirl, et al.

Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I'd love to see the Opry move full time back to the Ryman with your Country stars that perform there then walk the alley over to Tootsie's, Robert's and any other live music joint that opens up and play for the folks walking the sidewalks. That would be reminiscent of the way it used to be done by the old-timers of Country and would truly give us one hoppin' live music scene downtown.

I agree. To me, this Westin that everybody is so excited about looks completely banal and uninteresting. It could be plopped down anywhere in the United States. Are we so desperate that we "need" some chain hotel more than we need our down at the heels but authentic built environment? This is the same kind of thinking that brought us Planet Hollywood, NASCAR cafe etc. It was embarassing how we prostituted ourselves and abandoned our principles to attract those short-lived chains.

There are plenty of places in this city, and downtown, for this undistinguished but inoffensive hotel to be constructed. Lower Broadway isn't one of them.

I really don't think Seattle and their 'great coffee shops' draw anywhere near the number of tourists that Lower Broadway does for its' honky tonks. Trail West is more fitting than hip clothing stores there (I can't even imagine...)

That said, I say go for it Westin, rehab Trail West bldg, reconsider the R & R bldg demo, and change the Broadway/2nd Ave facade to look more 'historical'. And I think it would be good for all if there were more country music venues like Tootsie's in that area. Heck, throw it some blues and jazz too!

I agree that Nashville needs to keep its heritage, but I also have to side with doorman a little. While I think we should keep the honkytonks, and not put in ultralounges galore, I think that we need some more, just better music venues. But imo the most important thing we need is variety. We've been country music for ages, and I don't think it will look good for the city if that's all we ever are. We need to hadd it some different sort of clubs, like blues and jazz and comedy clubs to LoBro. It would be great if this street became the complete entertainment center of the city, not just the honkytonk center.

And about the Westin, I'm all for it. It looks like it does a great job of keeping the historic buildings intact, and will bring lots of people to the street. I don't see how it could hurt the area.

I agree that country music and lowrer broad is vital to Nashville, both our history and our future. Doorman I am suprised that you would paint with such a broad brush because I have seen your passion for Nashville.

That being said bring on the Westin. Trailwest is laughable, Richards and Richards is a plain old brick building, Decades???!!??? Could something be made of them? Sure, but where are these people that want to develop all these retail many keep mentioning? The block has been in disrepair for some time. We have a viable propsal on the table. It is not perfect but seems workable. Maybe the reason they are not looking towards Sobro is that this is where they made the best deal for the property. Obviously the owners of the Trailwest Building and R and R wharehouse are on board. Should these property owners that have invested in these properties not be able to make a simple business transaction because some senses are offended by the scale? Please...

Lets not forgert that the Wildhorse, the project that may consider the catalyst for 2nd Ave. development actually DEMOLISHED their building overnight and built a replica because that was more cost effective than rehabbing the old property.

Sometimes an old building is just an old building!

Very well said nb!

John, John, John, my friend.

You may have stepped in it this time :lol: Oh, the outcry of doing away with what many here hold as sacred. I have to ad a little humor so tempers dont flair.

I am one of those that really do not like Country Music, but have to admit that it brings in millions of dollars of tourist revenue into Nashville and I believe that if we had not had those honkey tonks and cheesy tourist shops there that Nashville would have been a lot worse off than it is now. This was the beginning of downtown revitalization years ago and that is what is drawing other developments downtown through a synergy that has taken years to build.

I bring in a lot of people from other places in the country that are by any means could not be classified as a redneck or a country bumpkin. The first question out of their mouth is, Where can I go hear good live country music? The answer is Broadway. Some of these people stay at your hotel John and are not all airline crews. Yes some of those people go to all the various shops and buy cowboy hats and boots or may buy a t-shirt that says "I know Jack S***, I met him in Nashville" This is what makes Nashville unique and apart from the rest of the WORLD. There is no other city with the exception of Austin TX that may have close to what is here.

I dont think I would come downtown if there were nothing but Art Galleries and coffee shops. To me , very boring. I do like to come and look at the tourist. I t makes for a very interesting day of people watching. Yes, the tourist stick out like a sore thumb, but look at the money they are leaving behind. With out the honky tonks, tourist stores, etc, we would have a lot less people coming here.

I do think it would be good to open some other bars and rest. with other music genres on Broad just to get some variety. Oh and remember there will be and are art galleries on 5th, thus the name Art avenue Lofts. There is the Frist Center, The Tennessee State Museum, T-PAC, Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame, A soon to be Baseball Stadium, and more coming. Yes people visit the honkey tonks, but they also visit these other venues as well. There is a great variety of things and even though I have never gone into one of the smoke filled, country music filled, country bumpkin redneck filled bars, I think they add to what makes Nashville unique.

I agree with many of your sentiments, but perhaps there is room for everybody in central Nashville? It seems as though there are lots of places where art galleries and coffee shops can go throughout downtown, SoBro, the Gulch, Midtown, and lots of other places. As for Jazz clubs, how about putting some on Jefferson Street as part of a cultural district up at that end of downtown. Classical has a terrific new home on the way, and I'm sure that there are recital halls at the major music schools in town. A classical music festival would really add to Nashville's existing offerings. But truly, the honky tonks on Lower Broad should stay. Some more than others. Chicago would kill to have such a music-centered district today, seediness and all, but instead has a handfull of scattered blues clubs that also spit out repetitive, formulaic "Chicago Blues," that really discourage any expansion of the musical tastes of the audience or the musical skills of the bands. They just cash in on the overpriced beer and shots that the crowds fill the house to buy night after night. If I hear, "Sweet Home, Chicago," one more time by anyone other than the resurrected Robert Johnson, I'll hurt sombody.

I studied literature, so I definitely agree that Nashville's literary history should be better emphasized. I would love to attend some conferences on their writings. I'm a big fan of Allen Tate and a huge fan of his Yankee student, Robert Lowell. But all of us bespectacled, tweedy English majors in the entire United States would not create as much tourism impact as the honky-tonks provide to Nashville's downtown. The city should add to its existing offerings, not replace them outright. That is how Chicago lost the Maxwell Street Market, where blues flourished after WWII, and ended up with cookie-cutter condos and a Target.

If anyone thinks the honkytonks on lower broad only attract rednecks and country bumpkins... they've obviously never set foot in one. Go to the Stage or Tootsies on a saturday night... and take a look at who is there. You'll find not only tourists, but a large amount of locals... and country bumpkins? Maybe 1 outta every 10. The majority of what you will see... are young people... many of which are the same type you'd expect to see hanging out in those 'hip coffee shops' and art galleries that some would rather have... and few of which have a neck that's any shade of red.

Sorry...don't know how that happened. Here...I'll try again:

I agree with you Titanhog. We must keep the honky tonks on lower Broadway. But I don't think building a Westin Hotel there, the way the project is now envisioned will do one darn thing to hurt the old honky tonk feel of lower broad. I say line the entire street with projects similar to the Westin, but keep the honky tonks on lower Broadway, and let the hotels with their significant financial assets add to the honky tonk atmosphere by bringing even more live music to the street. The country music offerings draw people to Nashville. It is unique to Nashville, and it will help fill the hotels. In my opinion the addtional crowds of people could cause even MORE lower Broad music venues to arise. I hope they begin to address the tremendous diversity of country music that you describe. The more and more live music is offered on Lower Broadway the more everyone will benefit. It's a potential gold mine for all!

The honky tonks are vital to Nashville's past and present. As far as I can tell, they are successful businesses. My favorites are Robert's and the Bluegrass Inn. You'll find a more diverse variety of music in the 'tonks than you might expect, and definately a diverse clientele. Tourists, locals, college students, blue-collar types.. you'll see all kinda at the honky tonks. Sure, they are known for country music, but sometimes you can catch a folkster or rockabilly band. That's what makes them fun. I agree that lower Broadway needs more retail variety of use to locals, and full-on streetscape project would help with asthetics. As far as the Westin, I think it should go forward, but I wish the Richards&Richards building could be preserved or incorporated into the project. I understand the concerns tho.. can you imagine if developers wanted to 'preserve' the other blocks of Broadway, while building hi-rises like the Westin above each? It would be peculiar.

Archived