Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

It looks as though you could walk right across it. Nice shot, Brian! :shades:

Thanks. I see some sensor dust that I didn't get in Photoshop! :shok: I've got to fix that now!

Edit: Fixed! :) Sensor dust gone. I've got to see if my local photo store can get rid of that for me or else buy a blower. If they have to send it off to Canon it'll be 4-6 weeks.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

You know, looking at this again, I particularly like how the shapes from the railing across the river are shadowed on the river. That's pretty cool. :shades:

Yes! I'm glad you noticed that! :) I have another shot with even more shadows on the water, including one of the giant rose sculptures further down the riverfront. I'll post that later.

Eric and all:

Here's the shot I mentioned in my last post. I captured some really nice shadows in this one and was very happy with the end result!

Even though this is the area of downtown just south of the CBD so there are no taller buildings shown, I still like everything about this photo.

313618174_b3d285d78f_b.jpg

What are those purple things on the bridge? Flowers?

Yep, they're the rose sculptures. They're stainless steel sculptures with multi-colored fiber optic lights in the actual "flower" part. They change colors every few seconds, from red to purple, to green, to blue, etc... It's really quite cool.

I might just have to take a sequence of shots and make an animated gif image sometime showing how they look when they change. It's just hard for me to stay down there too long at night because I don't feel safe.

Last night I was down there for about an hour but I was watching my back and my camera bag the whole time. I then went across the river to the Boardwalk and was there for about 2 hours, but never felt unsafe even for a second.

That's right...show off your Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World (we don't have one ... yet).

Nice photos, Brian! :shades: I love how the rails in that 2nd one glisten.

Thanks, Eric! I actually never noticed the glistening rails until I was getting ready to post the photo last night. It wasn't wet outside or anything, so I guess the light was just hitting it right.

Yeah we got Bass Pro a bit over two years ago. It opened a whole year before the rest of the Boardwalk opened, so for a long while there was a Bass Pro sitting out there with the slow progress of retail construction next door. The Boardwalk took a while to build, but it is maturing fast, having only been open for over a year now.

Maybe next time you'll get a chance to stop in for a brief visit to the Boardwalk.

Thanks, Eric! I actually never noticed the glistening rails until I was getting ready to post the photo last night. It wasn't wet outside or anything, so I guess the light was just hitting it right.

Yeah we got Bass Pro a bit over two years ago. It opened a whole year before the rest of the Boardwalk opened, so for a long while there was a Bass Pro sitting out there with the slow progress of retail construction next door. The Boardwalk took a while to build, but it is maturing fast, having only been open for over a year now.

Maybe next time you'll get a chance to stop in for a brief visit to the Boardwalk.

Those rails are constantly being polished from use, so light from just about any direction really makes them pop in sun-up, sun-down, or night-time photos. It's pretty awesome.

It makes sense that you'd have one of those over in the Sportsman's Paradise. We've had a Bass Pro Shop rumor floating around Greenville for a couple of years now. If I step outside of my bias for just a bit and look at the situation impartially, I still feel that Greenville would be an excellent location for one, given the number of lakes nearby, the mountains to our north, and the fact that hunting is such a big deal here. Not to mention the 1.2 million people in the vacinity. I think it's just a matter of time before they open their eyes and make the move.

We'll be heading out to Texas again for my daughter's Spring Break in April if we don't end up moving before then. If I can either a) talk the wife into it or b) plant myself behind the steering wheel as we're approaching Shreeveport, I'd definitely like to drop in and check things out.

That's a cool HDR of the riverfront, too, btw. Are you using Photoshop CS2 or Photomatix?

RT, you either love your job too much, or are one who can't settle down in a place and enjoy life there. I can understand both, but feel a massive hole will be left vacant if/when you and your family leave Greenville. :cry:

Those are some fantastic photos of Shreveport's riverfront, SBCmetroguy! :shades:Very nice new developments taking place there.

Here are a couple photos from Falls Park on the Reedy, in downtown Greenville:

OverlookFallsPark_01.jpg

FallsParkWestEnd_01.jpg