Southern Photos of the Day

TBurban

Those rails are constantly being polished from use, so light from just about any direction really makes them pop in sun-up, sun-down, or night-time photos. It's pretty awesome.

It makes sense that you'd have one of those over in the Sportsman's Paradise. We've had a Bass Pro Shop rumor floating around Greenville for a couple of years now. If I step outside of my bias for just a bit and look at the situation impartially, I still feel that Greenville would be an excellent location for one, given the number of lakes nearby, the mountains to our north, and the fact that hunting is such a big deal here. Not to mention the 1.2 million people in the vacinity. I think it's just a matter of time before they open their eyes and make the move.

We'll be heading out to Texas again for my daughter's Spring Break in April if we don't end up moving before then. If I can either a) talk the wife into it or b) plant myself behind the steering wheel as we're approaching Shreeveport, I'd definitely like to drop in and check things out.

That's a cool HDR of the riverfront, too, btw. Are you using Photoshop CS2 or Photomatix?

Oh wow, man, you just can NOT sit still! :lol:

I hope you do get a chance to stop by, if even for just a short while.

Thanks for the compliment on the HDR. I'm using Photomatix... CS2 is one expensive piece of software! I'm actually creating an HDR of my wife's "JOY" stocking holders, which I'll send to you via PM when I'm finished! :)

Oh, and I hope you guys do get a Bass Pro. Seems like a very progressive place, with lots of wilderness around, so I don't see why not!?

RT, you either love your job too much, or are one who can't settle down in a place and enjoy life there. I can understand both, but feel a massive hole will be left vacant if/when you and your family leave Greenville. :cry:

Those are some fantastic photos of Shreveport's riverfront, SBCmetroguy! :shades:Very nice new developments taking place there.

Here are a couple photos from Falls Park on the Reedy, in downtown Greenville:

Thanks, Skyliner! :)

Great photos from you as well!

^Thanks Brian

I think your B & W turned-out GREAT!!! The entire CBD is light-up nicely. The Am South Tower looks cool on the riverfront. Looks like you could slide across the water w/o ever getting wet. Incredible! Or it's 12 degrees and the Red River froze-up.

Edited by richyb83

^Thanks Brian

I think your B & W turned-out GREAT!!! The entire CBD is light-up nicely. The Am South Tower looks cool on the riverfront. Looks like you could slide across the water w/o ever getting wet. Incredible! Or it's 12 degrees and the Red River froze-up.

:lol: it was cold that night, but not that cold! Gotta love those long exposure shots.

That's a great greyscale conversion, Brian! I've found that it can take a pretty nice photo and add some drama to it. It looks awesome! :shades:

Thanks, Eric! I like the B&W you've posted to Flickr of your daughter on the Liberty Bridge. That's one neat bridge, and you've got some cute kids!

Nate, thanks, man... great shots, especially the second one.

Looks like my next vacation will be to Vegas rather than New Orleans. Maybe I can do New Orleans before TOO long though.

To help explain what's happening in the photo Tommy posted, the James Center owners are looking to expand the complex. Three James Center (shown below on the right) will double in height, from 14 to 28 floors as seen in Tommy's shot.

NationalFolkFestival2006final006.jpg

Also proposed is Four James Center, a new 350,000sf tower that would be immediately in front of it in either picture. It would probably be 20-22 stories.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Wow, I've got to catch up! :)

Eric - as I mentioned previously, that's an awesome photo of that bridge.

Tommy and wrldcoupe - awesome photos and info on Richmond! :) That's another "booming" southern city it seems.

Matt - I've never been to University of Arkansas, but from these photos, it really looks like a nice campus. I love that "college campus feel."

And finally, my additions for today...

I softened and color-tinted these photos in Photoshop using a very common method that photographers use to soften portraits of people.

Shreveport skyline

321000777_558a82c021_b.jpg

Riverview Park

321000786_5ee9ebe8b5_b.jpg

Shreveport skyline B&W - softened

321024828_f40db0a546_b.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Great photos, y'all! I LOVE college campuses, mcheiss! I try to visit one every chance I get. This one's on my "to-do" list, still.

I love the touch-up you did on those skyline photos, Brian! They look kinda dreamy now. :shades:

Greenville, South Carolina has been on a spree of adding public art and sculpture downtown of late. Here's the most recent addition with many more still to come:

319175544_f0132aff2c_b.jpg

For more information about this photograph, CLICK HERE.