Lagniappe

NCB

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol: @ the crowd chanting NOPD. I've been in more fights during Mardi Gras than I care to remember (of course I won all of them), but anybody who is from N.O. has been in at least 2 fights during Mardi Gras. I prefer the Uptown parade route because it's in my backyard and it's more peaceful than the main celebration. In Uptown, nobody's foolish enough to even think about fisticuffs because the police will arrest you with the quickness. That, and a lot of families are in attendance and the kids don't need to see all that foolishness.

Thanks for posting that Richy! The key with the street grid being what it is today is the fact that in the 19th and 20th centuries, as the city continued to expand, the street grid expanded right along with it. The grid didn't just end at some random point and become replaced by winding roads that all went in different directions, which is what you see in so many expanding cities today. And for a driver, it's tough to beat a constant grid in a city. :D

Also, here's an painted aerial of New Orleans from around the same time as that map. In the mid 1800's New Orleans was the 3rd largest city in the nation, behind NYC and only 200 people behind Baltimore.

401272052_ae22c54382_b.jpg

Well, I was extremely bored this evening, so I decided to do what everyone does when they're bored...create an overlay of the New Orleans streetcar system on a Google map! ;)

nolassmh2.jpg

I'm sure most of you guys are pretty familiar with the system, but I'll go ahead and identify the lines anyway:

Red- Riverfront line

Blue- Canal Street line

Purple- North Carrollton spur

Green- Saint Charles Avenue line

Thanks for posting that old aerial Nate :thumbsup: Such an impressive map drawing back then. Amazing how large NOLA was way back then!That's an impressive streetcar system route in the Crescent City. Good work! I can appreciate drawing something up like that when bored. It would be nice if more cities imulated this system.

Here's a little something I found. Third Street from back in it's "hey-day"...this pic was in the late 50's/early 60's?? My parents told me how they would shop, eat, denist, buying records,etc. on Third Street.

Third Street has a cool look about it in this pic! Love all the signs and lights too!!

Old Paramount Theatre(left) demolished back in 79 <_< My Dad still misses to this day

brparac1b1a1ds1a1ok1.jpg

Yeah Richy, for a Southern city, it's actually a pretty impressive light rail system. Of course it's absolutely nothing like it once was back in the late 1800's and the first quarter of the 20th century, when there were over 200 miles of streetcar tracks criss-crossing New Orleans, Metairie, and Kenner. Still, 20 years ago the Saint Charles Ave. line was the only streetcar line left in the city, but since then the system has more than doubled in size. And while RTA's main focus right now is obviously finishing repairs on the tail end of the Saint Charles line to have the entire system up and running, there are still plans in place to restore the famed Desire line, which brought international fame to New Orleans' streetcars through the Tennessee Williams play A Streetcar Named Desire.

And thanks alot for posting that Third Street picture! Wow, what a difference from what I saw on that street a few months ago! I guess Third Street could be considered Baton Rouge's "big step backwards" when it comes to downtown activity. Every city has them! Imagine how different downtown Baton Rouge would be today had Third Street been consistenly improved over the last 40 years, rather than than going in the opposite direction.

This is some of what Nate was speaking of on UP's "Aging Infrastructure" thread....This is IMPORTANT stuff!!!

Sinking into the gulf: Fortune magazine has reported on the South Louisiana oil industry and the importance of Port Fourchon. The magazine notes that more than a quarter of the U.S. oil supply moves through the port, but the area is being erased by erosion and the sinking of the land. "We're a train wreck here," says Ted Falgoust, who runs the port. "We have not designed the energy infrastructure -- or any infrastructure -- [to handle land loss]." Read the article here.

*compliments businessreport.com(Daily Report)

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/02/magazines/...crisis.fortune/

Was this the right place to post this??

Edited by richyb83

Georgia Southern in Statesboro has been a powerhouse football program for as long as I can remember; interesting they never made the move(jump)-up to 1A Football. I think they can compete in the Sun Belt Conference with Troy, UL-Lafayette, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, etc. Current Chicago Bear RB- Adrian Peterson is one I remember playing for the Eagles!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, I'd need a whole new thread to show you all of my family's firearms, but here are a few: :lol: (not our actual firearms, but the same models)

S&W .44 Magnum

istockphoto_895105_smith_and_wesson_44_magnum.jpg

S&W .357 Magnum

sw357.jpg

S&W .38 Special (I've got a .38 with a 4" barrel, as opposed to the 2" shown in the picture)

SW162504.jpg

Browning Hi-Power (Browning 9mm)

browning_hp_3.jpg

Yugoslavian SKS; fitted with bayonet, stripper clip, and grenade launcer. I've got one exactly like this.

SKS-M59-66A1-rifle-grenade-launcher.JPG

Remington Spartan 12 Ga. double barrel (side by side) This shotgun is actually produced in Baikal, Russia, and purchased, imported, and sold by Remington

spar_spr220.jpg

Swedish Model 96 Mauser

Swedish_Mauser_65_right.jpg

Looky what I found! :D A map of Baton Rouge in 1863 with a population of approxiametely 5,500 people. What is the neatest part is how fast B.R. grew with a glacial pace of 0 to 11,000 over 200 years then 11,000 to 220,000+ in 100. :)

br3xf7.png

br4bw0.png

Edited by dan326

Wow Dan! Great find!!! :shades: Look at tiny BR; way back then NOLA was so large in comparison. Some of the reason BR does not have more street grid, bec. they are "late bloomers".

My grandpa would tell me stories in the 30's of rabbit hunting were Bonne Carre(old Bon Marche Mall was) and howling wolves were Cortana Mall is now! :o That's fascinating to me!!! Ferry over the Amite River. And the Perkins Swamp is now City Park & University Lake! Wow has country Baton Rouge grown!!!

Edited by richyb83