Lagniappe

NCB

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are right, NOLA's CBD is the real thing. BR's CBD is just table scraps in comparison.

My biggest problem with downtown Baton Rouge is its lack of a "wow" factor- it just seems pretty bland. You would never know that Baton Rouge has 750,000+ people in the area by spending time downtown, and that's what I think needs to change most. My favorite thing about downtown New Orleans is the atmosphere; lots of tall buildings, lots of density, lots of restuarants and shops, always lots of people around, the streetcars and buses, the riverfront, etc. Thats what I think downtown Baton Rouge lacks, an atmosphere, along with the lack of a "wow" factor(s) to draw people in. Those go hand in hand, as you'll never have a "big city atmosphere" without a constant flow of people, and you'll never get a constant flow of people without anything to draw them downtown at all hours of the day. Hopefully that changes!

Agreed there Nate. It seemed like BR's CBD/Downtown was all but abandoned in the 80' and 90's.

While both CBD's are located near the riverfront; geographically with NOLA being crescent shaped it is still more centered (more so) than BR's, which is to one side to itself. +NOLA's CBD is surrounded by more neighborhoods in 3 directions; BR is only surrounded really by 2 sides. The Exxon and other industry cover a very large area where no residential is located. That just tends to partially shut things off. These are not the only reasons, but some of the disadvantages BR has.

The NOLA CBD also has an incredible amount of hotel rooms....while BR's largest hotel district is nearly five miles away from downtown.

Baton Rouge "urbanly and density" speaking is on the 2nd tier; where NOLA being more landlocked is as dense as they come easily being in the 1st tier. San Francisco on a larger scale and Charleston on a smaller scale come to mind as far as landlocked density is concerned.

While I do not think BR's CBD will ever be what NOLA's is; I believe it will finally catch up to a city it's size.

If Lafayette is 120,000; I wonder what BR's is?? The city limits do not encompass some neighborhoods like it should. Census had said 224,000(2000 census) maybe 254,000 post Katrina??Maybe urbanly speaking 345,000?? ex-Like Miami's metro being huge 5-6 million people; yet the city itself is maybe 400,000?? Nashville being about 570,000 yet the metro has??1.2 million?? It just sounds funny hearing BR with 750,000. I know thats the MSA and EBR has roughly 400,000

Edited by richyb83

If Lafayette is 120,000; I wonder what BR's is?? The city limits do not encompass some neighborhoods like it should. Census had said 224,000(2000 census) maybe 254,000 post Katrina??Maybe urbanly speaking 345,000?? ex-Like Miami's metro being huge 5-6 million people; yet the city itself is maybe 400,000?? Nashville being about 570,000 yet the metro has??1.2 million?? It just sounds funny hearing BR with 750,000. I know thats the MSA and EBR has roughly 400,000

The most recent census estimate for Baton Rouge pegs the population of the city at about 229,000. The most recent population estimates for New Orleans peg the city's population at 262,000-288,000. So it looks like New Orleans has again become the largest city in the state. Talking MSA population, in 2006 the Baton Rouge MSA population was estimated at 766,000, and the New Orleans MSA was estimated at 1.2 million, and it's growing fast.

One thing to always remember when it comes to city and metro populations, especially in the South, is land area covered. For example, in 2000, Houston had a population of nearly 2 million, but the city covers nearly 600 sq. miles of land. On the other hand, New Orleans had a population of 484,000, but the city covers only about 180 sq. miles of land, and only about 60% of that "land" is solid ground. i.e. not swampland. If New Orleans were to annex Metairie-Kenner in Jefferson Parish, the city would grow to only about 210 sq. miles of land, but the population would shoot up to over 700,000.

Richy, you mentioned Nashville, so I'll use it as another example. In 2000, Nashville had a population of about 560,000, but the city covers over 500 sq. miles of land, nearly 4 times as much land as New Orleans. Also, in 2000 the New Orleans MSA had a population of 1.3 million and the Nashville MSA had a population of 1.2 million. However, the New Orleans MSA encompasses 7 parishes, while the Nashville MSA encompasses 13 counties.

So putting all of that into numbers, we get:

New Orleans MSA- 1,337,726 people in 3,756 sq. miles of land

Nashville MSA- 1,231,311 people in 5,708 sq. miles of land

So you have the Nashville MSA covering about 2,000 more square miles, even while nearly 2,000 of those sq. miles in the New Orleans MSA came from St. Bernard and Plaquemines Parishes, and much, if not most of the "land" in those parishes is marsh and swampland.

My point is just that in the South, and really in the West as well, many major cities cover a great amount of land, and so it's very hard to compare city and metro populations of cities like Houston or Nashville to cities like New Orleans or Miami, which are landlocked. I'd be very interested to see what the populations of Houston, Dallas, Nashville, etc. would be if you used only 180 sq. miles of land around the cenral city, rather than 500-600 miles.

And as a side note, this post ended up being alot longer than I originally intended. :lol:

Very interesting stuff Nate, thanks for the numbers. :thumbsup: Sometimes post can't be explained in short. I would wonder myself about the other southern cities like Houston, Dallas, etc if they weren't so spread out. New Orleans is dense!!!!

Just seeing for example..the U.S. Largest Cities. Seeing Jacksonville and not Miami; Nashville and not Boston can be really misleading.

I think BR would easily have over 300,000 if they were to annex "urban proper". But I realize many cities have the same ordeal with annexation. BR's city-limits are shaped like somebody bit-off big bites on the side, nearing the middle too. :lol: Why some neighborhoods were left out??

When saying largest city, I guess it's fair to say a city is larger than another city simply bec. of population....but another city may just be more dense, look or feel larger with more buildings??

Edited by richyb83

Today is my birthday! :D I turn sixeen today, which means I can be on this site according to the rules. I remember last year Metro tried to kick me of but luckily Richy and a few others put in a few good words for me. If I would have registered just three does before I did I defintely would hav been kicked off because I hade just turned fifteen :lol: .

I wouldn't quite say Baton Rouge's downtown is tablescraps, I would just say it "not quite up to par" :D. Sure downtown is not so much "wow" but it's clean and has what I think of as several spots of visual interest, that counts for something right?And you can't really compare it to New Orleans anyway. It's kind of like expecting the skills of a seasoned veteran from a rookie. And instead of just building more stuff they need to advertise for the things that they already have. I went to the very nice Louisiana State Museum the other day and only 4 other people where there. I rememeber I first heard about it from seeing a rendeing and I thought "They're never going to build that here" and it turned out it had already been built and opened.

You're right Richy, Baton Rouge could be over 300,000 because it is only 79 sq mi.

Happy Birthday Dan the "young" Man! :D:yahoo: I know you like the emicons, so those are for you! :thumbsup: I was happy to defend you here on UP, like I said before "you are ahead of your time"!!! And a tremendous asset to the forums!

That's probably a better way to put it Dan...downtown BR is "not up to par".... maybe I was refering to the #of high-rise buildings in comparison to NOLA.

While it may not have the "Wow Factor"....Downtown BR definetly now has a unique feel in some locations. Along the riverfront/River Road from the turn in front of the USS Kidd Museum/Riverfront Plaza..the terraced water-feature..down to the Planetrauim, fountains and Old State Capitol front-lawn; then down North Blvd between the Old State Capitol and around the new Shaw Center for the Arts. Lafayette Park, interactive fountains, beautiful Oak trees and the renovated Hilton Capitol Center. That's basically BR's "Living Room".

I believe Lafayette Street, Third Street and Fourth Street will be changing for the better too.

Just maybe that wow factor will come when turning on Lafayette Street seeing a new glimmery 30-story condominium towering a few blocks ahead!!!

Happy Birthday Dan the "young" Man! (emoticon) I know you like the emicons, so those are for you! (emoticon) I was happy to defend you here on UP, like I said before "you are ahead of your time"!!! And a tremendous asset to the forums!

That's probably a better way to put it Dan...downtown BR is "not up to par".... maybe I was refering to the #of high-rise buildings in comparison to NOLA.

While it may not have the "Wow Factor"....Downtown BR definetly now has a unique feel in some locations. Along the riverfront/River Road from the turn in front of the USS Kidd Museum/Riverfront Plaza..the terraced water-feature..down to the Planetrauim, fountains and Old State Capitol front-lawn; then down North Blvd between the Old State Capitol and around the new Shaw Center for the Arts. Lafayette Park, interactive fountains, beautiful Oak trees and the renovated Hilton Capitol Center. That's basically BR's "Living Room".

I believe Lafayette Street, Third Street and Fourth Street will be changing for the better too.

Just maybe that wow factor will come when turning on Lafayette Street seeing a new glimmery 30-story condominium towering a few blocks ahead!!!

:D :D Thanks Richy! I sure do like emoticons,that's why I have a Pikachu as my avatar. I really thin it embodies the emoticon spirit. :) They hould really raise the limit to atleast 10 though.

Maybe because I don't go down there that often, but I get excited everytime I go down there. I especialy like the Shaw Center and the little park in front of it, The River Center and adjacent plaza area,and the area around City Plaza and soon to be City Plaza II.

I can't wait until it is finally built. It seems like forever. :(

Edited by dan326

Happy birthday, Dan! :yahoo: You ready for that drivers license!? I got mine the day I turned 16. And even though I rarely actually had to drive a car to get around New Orleans, I did it anyway for awhile. :D

BTW, just so you know, I don't think monsoon ever had a real intention of banning you from the forum. He just wanted to make sure you were mature enough to be here, and I sent him a message conforming that. We've had alot of problems with 13, 14, or 15 year old kids joining the forum in the past, and nearly all of them just ended up annoying the hell out of the other members. We've just got to be sure, so that we can keep this place "nice and easy" when it comes to posting. :thumbsup:

Happy birthday Dan! As for Baton Rouge, I think the downtown area is on the right track. I might not have said this a few years ago, but with the Shaw Center and the renovation of the Capitol House, things have turned around. Perhaps a downtown shopping mall could get more people downtown at night? I mean one with real stores- not another Catfish Town.

Today is my birthday! I turn sixteen today, which means I can be on this site according to the rules. I remember last year Metro tried to kick me off but luckily Richy and a few others put in a few good words for me. If I would have registered just three days before I did I defintely would have been kicked off because I had just turned fifteen

Unfortunately, most 13-15 year olds have very little sense and like to cause ruckus on the forums, so in a way it's good there's a certain age limit to join forums. You're wise beyond your years. Once you get your license, you can roll in this. You're 5 years away from grown-man status :shades:

2004-Rolls-Royce-Phantom-black-A-640.jpeg

:lol: Thanks guys!

I'm ready Nate,buty ad says I need more practice. I need that liscence thought, riding that hot school bus is like a death sentence. Sometime it seems to get s hot I can't even think . :lol:

:w00t: It's almost like you read my mind Derrick. That is exactly the kind of car I wanted, something smooh and black with a strong presence. Is that a Cadillac?

Happy birthday, Dan! :yahoo: You ready for that drivers license!? I got mine the day I turned 16. And even though I rarely actually had to drive a car to get around New Orleans, I did it anyway for awhile. :D

LOL! I waited over a year after I turned 16 to get my liscense--partly because of laziness and partly because I was busy with school stuff--flunking your first two driver's tests also delayed it as well (the people at the location I went to the first two times musti've been related to the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld. The third time I took the test, I went to a different location and passed with flying colors).

LOL! I waited over a year after I turned 16 to get my liscense--partly because of laziness and partly because I was busy with school stuff--flunking your first two driver's tests also delayed it as well (the people at the location I went to the first two times musti've been related to the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld. The third time I took the test, I went to a different location and passed with flying colors).

Haha, I remember my test...worthless! I did one thing wrong, and that was not checking my right blind spot on a right turn, even though I was all the way over in the right lane, and the only thing next to me was an open plot of land. Gotta remember to watch out for the deer in your blind spot! ;)

But like I said, I grew up on mass transit, and while I enjoy driving, I'm looking forward to saving a bunch of gas once I fully move back into New Orleans. I'm currently splitting time between Uptown and the 'burbs.

But like I said, I grew up on mass transit, and while I enjoy driving, I'm looking forward to saving a bunch of gas once I fully move back into New Orleans. I'm currently splitting time between Uptown and the 'burbs.

How I envy you! Out here in the 'burbs of Atlanta, I've had to use a car all of my life. Now I don't have a problem with using a car, it's just I'd prefer mass transit when availiable (saves gas, for one thing).

One more thing I love about New Orleans...for the most part, it's a "No car? No problem!" city. :)

Gotta cross the Mississippi, but you don't have a car? Hop on a ferry!

Gotta get from one side of the city to the other, or two the airport, but you don't have a car? Get on a bus!

And of course my favorite...

Gotta get from the center of the city to anywhere Uptown, the other side of the Quarter, or anywhere through Mid-City and up to Lakeview? Hop on a streetcar!

About Atlanta, however. I've never ridden on the MARTA, and while I really want to "try it out," I can't say I've heard alot of good things about it. The heavy-rail system, that is. It doesn't look anything like the D.C. Metrorail, which is incredible. :D

Gotta get from the center of the city to anywhere Uptown, the other side of the Quarter, or anywhere through Mid-City and up to Lakeview? Hop on a streetcar!

About Atlanta, however. I've never ridden on the MARTA, and while I really want to "try it out," I can't say I've heard alot of good things about it. The heavy-rail system, that is. It doesn't look anything like the D.C. Metrorail, which is incredible. :D

Basically, I can sum it up like this: what it covers, it covers well. Everything else, you're out of luck (unless you want to take the buses, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I haven't ridden on it in years, so I can't really comment on the quality of the ride, but I never really had any problems with it.

Basically, I can sum it up like this: what it covers, it covers well. Everything else, you're out of luck (unless you want to take the buses, and there's nothing wrong with that.

That's what I've heard as well, for the most part. Most of the negative things I hear about it usually relate to the fact that it could cover so much more. And looking at the original plans for MARTA from the '70's, it seems like the current system is only half of what was originally planned, if that.

I've never had a problem riding MARTA anywhere in the Atlanta area. As you say, it's just not as extensive as it could be. The system was indeed planned to cover a much larger area, but several counties were vehemently opposed to the idea- and mostly for al the wrong reasons. The possibility of expansion is once again being discussed, but the costs are also much greater.

:lol: Thanks guys!

I'm ready Nate,buty ad says I need more practice. I need that liscence thought, riding that hot school bus is like a death sentence. Sometime it seems to get s hot I can't even think . :lol:

:w00t: It's almost like you read my mind Derrick. That is exactly the kind of car I wanted, something smooh and black with a strong presence. Is that a Cadillac?

No kid likes riding the school bus, especially if he/she is over 16 :lol: Use your dad's constructive criticism as motivation for you to handle your business behind the wheel. Although I had a ride & license @ 16, I saved hundreds of dollars in gas by using the streetcar. To this day I still use the streetcar for all my transportation needs. The only time I drive is when I go out of town.

^ The school bus it's self isn't so bad, it's just that it's either too hot or those silly kids in the back are making too much noise to trying to do an interpretation of a gangster <_< . I think it's really quite sicking sometimes.

But on a lighter note, I've got something funny to show ya'll from youtube. You all now how good I am at finding crazy stuff and this is no exception.

PLANET UNICORNS :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyXxHjslgmk...ted&search=

Hey Dan, if you want some good driving practice, come drive the Causeway a few times. ;)

It's actually an extremely easy drive, but the first time or two is scary for every new driver. If you don't focus, you're screwed, because a foot of air and a concrete railing is all that seperates you from Lake Ponchartrain.