Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

Plaza Midwood is already seeing a building boom and yet no version of the CIP extends streetcar past Hawthorne. Meanwhile, Elizabeth will get streetcar no matter what happens to the CIP thanks to the starter project, and yet Elizabeth Village sits mostly vacant. Perhaps, urban development occurs easily without, or not so easily even with streetcar.

Any update?? The latest I heard is there are two public hearings coming up.

As heated as it was a couple weeks ago it seems to have quieted down a lot. A little too quiet?!

Secondly, I want to replace the city council/mayor if they can't come to some sort of agreement this year on a CIP. The city needs some of this infrastructure and the pissing match is hurting the city.

I think the mayor is doing a fabulous job considering the republican shalacking NC took.

That, and I'm not comfortable with a republican being against urban investment projects etc. as opposed to Foxx

You make it sound like something was done "to" NC. NC voters chose who they wanted to lead in the Governor's Mansion, the House of Representatives and the Senate. For that matter, they voted for Romney as well...not that it's relevant to this conversation.

Foxx vetoed CIP. Has any other mayor ever nixed so much investment?

I agree, he clearly made a massive blunder and made the perfect the enemy of the good.   I am a strong supporter of the streetcar line, but it obviously could and should have been dealt with another way.

I feel that the starter line will have more riders than people expect it to, and I am hoping that spurs renewed talk of extension.   The Trade/Elizabeth Gold Rush line is the most ridden transit in the city outside of the blue line, and the streetcar will be available on evenings and weeks that the Gold Rush is not.  Plus, the Gold Rush is a fake version while we put in the real thing.    

• Like 1

I agree, he clearly made a massive blunder and made the perfect the enemy of the good.   I am a strong supporter of the streetcar line, but it obviously could and should have been dealt with another way.

That sums up my feeling as well.  If I remember correctly - we could have had the CIP last Spring with everything but the streetcar.

• 4 weeks later...

He would probably have been a more attractive candidate had he successfully negotiated the extension, but the CIP issues (which have been documented extensively, at least in the Observer) make him appear like he cannot successfully compromise IMO. While unrelated to the position, I also think missing fundraising targets for the DNC is a mark against him, even if it was not entirely his fault.

and the council is STILL deadlocked on the streetcar issue:

{mayor Foxx} "If we didn't do streetcar, does anybody have an idea how we're going to revitalize Central Avenue and Beatties Ford Road?" Foxx asked the council. "Because if the answer is 'Nothing,' that's unacceptable."

http://www.wfae.org/post/charlotte-city-council-still-stalled-over-streetcar

Interesting that governor McPope's threats weren't mentioned.

PED is working on Central. Mosaic should catalyze West Trade. Eastland has multiple offers. Sprinter could cover the full route for less cost than the tiny starter project.

Except that the current buses are over crowded, so sprinter could cover it how? You keep missing the point, it's not just about moving people, it's about permanence of a rail line to spur revitalization and development.

No permanence, find it stressful understanding a non fixed route. I would rather drive myself after looking up the route.

The fact the bus is no faster than car perhaps slower since there are multiple stops. If I were in a bigger city and was forced to ride a route due to critical mass I would. I just think a regular bus doesn't offer much more upside if any than a car, at least in the sprawly South. Those are my two biggest qualms.

No permanence, find it stressful understanding a non fixed route. I would rather drive myself after looking up the route.The fact the bus is no faster than car perhaps slower since there are multiple stops. If I were in a bigger city and was forced to ride a route due to critical mass I would. I just think a regular bus doesn't offer much more upside if any than a car, at least in the sprawly South. Those are my two biggest qualms.

I'm sure there are a ton of people who feel this way. Not only do a lot of people feel unsafe, but it is hard for them to know what to do, what the signs mean and the fact that some stops dont have shelters, people don't want to stand at a sign by themselves. With Light Rail and a streetcar, everyone knows where it's going, it makes "more sense" as far as anyone could figure it out and the stops are very prominent and generally has more people and feels safe. A lot of people don't even like going near the bus station because it looks like its filled with gangsters.

I take the bus and sprinter and like the bus station (im a white male, 24) and i go out of my way to tale the buses (and LRT. But im about to get a place in Plaza of Dilworth so LRT isnt so helpful)

But I mean. As much as I hate the misconceptions, people view the buses are unsafe or too complicated on how to figure out. Streetcar is easier and really bridges the gap between different ethnic and racial groups.

I'm sure as streetcar is built, urban density will rise as people will take the streetcar over bus and the novelty of taking a train to Dairy Queen and the novelty of not needing a car to get the grocery store will make people want to continue to live within close walking distance to other shops increasing urban density.

I like what Foxx said. Something to the effect of; If not streetcar, can anyone else come up with a better idea on how to revitalize Central & beatties.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD