Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

37 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Why bother running it at all? Do we need to in order to keep the Federal funding? 

To be fair, I don't think they were saying it's going to be on a 40 min schedule from now on, just at that time.  It might just mean some people called in sick or something and they don't have enough backup employees currently. 

38 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Hopefully this is just temporary. If they have constraints for operators.... why are there no job postings for that role on the city website? There are a couple of other CATS roles posted, but none for a rail operator. 

There was a post either yesterday or the day before, but it's not up now... Not sure why. Agreed, hopefully this is a temporary issue, but they aren't alone in struggling to hire.

• Like 2

So, I guess this is something we should consider to be good news?

Since CATS has decided that flaky operating practices are OK, we gotta have real time vehicle tracking for the Gold Line for it to be even marginally useful.

806BD5C4-FC5E-45C6-80C8-982C2B07FF2F.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

I do not get AT ALL why there have been so many problems with this little 2.5 mile extension of a trolley line.  I have a particular advantage of having watched two transit projects being constructed concurrently.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Phase 2 construction begin in January 2017?  Only about two or three months before that, construction on an 11-mile lightrail extension began here in San Diego.  They are almost finished with the testing phase and operations are scheduled to start within two months.  This photo is an image of one section of this lightrail extension.  It's about two miles of an elevated railway that crosses a freeway twice and goes along the edge of a canyon wall.  It's an engineering marvel and something that needs to be seen in person to really appreciate.  It's just incredible.  Compare that to the Hawthorne Bridge.  And 11 miles of railway versus 2.5 miles of a mostly flat trolley line.  But both projects completed on essentially the same timeline.  Yet this little trolley project is *still* having problems.  This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Screenshot_20210915-135033_Gallery.jpg

Just a wild guess whether it matters in this case but does SD also have a law saying you have to take the lowest bid?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yeahdoug said:

I’m guessing this is a fare increase proposal right? Which is ridiculous for such a short and time inefficient ride. 

From the Ledger's Transit Time Newsletter, it sounds like they're just going to discuss the $2.20 charge.  It seems like it would be ridiculous to raise it above the bus/light rail fare...

1683990146_Screenshot2021-09-16120307.png.a77f6b3b89e5479b7bef703f2ed7e567.png

Edited by TGIBridays
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

I had the pleasure of waiting 15 mins for a car to get off the tracks 1/2 block from the Tryon station in front of hooters. Gateway station to Tryon in like 25 mins… it’s an 8 min walk but decided to jump on the train since it was right there. My bad. 

Driver of the car must have gotten distracted.

• Haha 2

On 9/27/2021 at 1:15 PM, Yeahdoug said:

I had the pleasure of waiting 15 mins for a car to get off the tracks 1/2 block from the Tryon station in front of hooters. Gateway station to Tryon in like 25 mins… it’s an 8 min walk but decided to jump on the train since it was right there. My bad. 

I suspect the food delivery services to be the primary culprit and I've seen this specific Hooters have this issue several times.  I'd love to see if we can hold either the service or the restaurant accountable.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, InTheYear2000 said:

I suspect the food delivery services to be the primary culprit and I've seen this specific Hooters have this issue several times.  I'd love to see if we can hold either the service or the restaurant accountable.  

Yeah the problem is the track crosses from the left hand lane to the right there. So people pull over on the right side and block the train… 

31 minutes ago, stiluvclt said:

With all of the time that that the gold line has to await a rule breaker, they damn sure have time to copy down a license plate number. How about a $1000 fine for anyone who blocks the track more than one minute. They'll stay off then!

I'd say it's even easier than that - there are video cameras all over those train vehicles, including ones facing forward. 

• Like 1