Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

The term "trolley" came early in the electrical era to describe the traveling wheel which contacted an electric line and carried electricity to a motor. It looks like a pulley wheel but carries current and not weight.  The use of this device made early transport machines distinctive from conventional rail cars and the term for the conductive device was transferred to the conveyance itself. In technical speech it refers to the wheel and connected pole but the generalized term holds more common. This is the American meaning and may not hold in England and elsewhere. There may be a connection to "troll" in the sense of fishing with the line and pole though this connection appears to be insufficiently accepted.

Streetcar and tram dispense with the device name.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 9:38 PM, pathb said:

What do you mean by that? From what I've read they've been very unreliable and have lead to longer headways than planned for Phase 1. Now that the line is shutting down for the rebuild of all stations to match Siemens streetcar vehicle boarding heights, I'm really wishing we had bypassed the short-term replica trolleys altogether.

They were built for heritage, hourly weekend, separated right of way operations, not seven day a week 6am-11pm, start-stop, street running operations. Hence why they were unreliable. They weren't designed for the service they have operated in on the Gold Line. They were partially built with reused European (I believe Milan) running gear. Hence why parts are hard to find. Don't blame the tool, blame the people who thought these were adequate for modern streetcar ops.

Also, I heard Little Rock was possibly interested in the vehicles, they use the same type on their heritage streetcar line.

Edited by ajfunder
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

Here’s a picture from last week. I don’t know how feasible it would be, but I would like to see it used in Dilworth from East/West Station to Freedom Park.

9704A90B-431A-49E5-8190-FFCBAF06E7DA.thumb.jpeg.d3b4083fe5e63332eaf2d7721dcea14f.jpeg

8AB3C829-75CB-483A-A327-F304F54685EC.jpeg.03dbcc0fa5a597bcc4344e2e11ef9fea.jpeg

I'd pick a completely different route. Up Kenilworth and Down Scott and up Stonewall.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd pick a completely different route. Up Kenilworth and Down Scott and up Stonewall.

That would work too, though I would rather see a modern streetcar on Stonewall. The East Blvd route takes into consideration the historic nature of Dilworth and the shorter length. It would be an easy connection from the light rail and would draw people from the rail trail. From Freedom Park they could also walk the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

That would work too, though I would rather see a modern streetcar on Stonewall. The East Blvd route takes into consideration the historic nature of Dilworth and the shorter length. It would be an easy connection from the light rail and would draw people from the rail trail. From Freedom Park they could also walk the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.

Imagine shutting down South Blvd for Streetcar construction though. Woof

51 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

The original trolley travelled East, of course. In the process of street renovation ten years ago or so the original rails were discovered and the island on the east side of the Euclid intersection contains a section of those rails and a historic marker. 

^ used to.

The historic-rebuilt rails on the island at East and Euclid got removed after someone drove into them  and bent them up. 

- - “Describe The essence of Charlotte in a sentence.”

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

I wonder if this has to do with the CTC bid at all or if it factors in?

beef up Rosa Parks transit center as part of the streetcar project. 

I would like to see the redevelopment of CTC ultimately home an Express bus transit center. The rest spread among light rail, Rosa parks, South Park, And Gateway. I feel like if Express riders are transferring, it’s to light rail. But I doubt many Express people transfer. Also, I think it’s desirable for an office development 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

On 6/8/2019 at 11:24 PM, kermit said:

[written with a tone of genuine surprise...]

The new city budget (to be voted on Monday) includes funding for Streetcar Phase 3 design work (Beatties Ford and Eastland extensions) according to WSOC.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/funding-for-streetcar-extension-planning-included-in-new-budget/956334207

I hope they’re able to incorporate segments of dedicated lanes to make the streetcar extension viable.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southslider said:

Central Avenue sort of needs those lanes to function.

It’s been a quite awhile since I’ve driven Central. You’re right, dedicated lanes aren’t an option.  Since that’s the case, a better option for Central would be to serve that route with articulated busses (NC would have to change the law that prohibits them) improved bus stops, and pedestrian improvements. CATS could use the streetcar extension money to help fund a spur off of the Silver Line to Eastland via Albemarle Rd to provide East Charlotte with rail access. 

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
  • Like 1

Wife and I did Kansas City MO last weekend and used the free streetcar(trolly) all weekend.  It was nice to park the car  for a couple days and roam around the city; mostly downtown districts..  This will be a great addition  to  an intergrated transit system.

Edited by NcSc74
  • Like 2