Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

4 hours ago, southslider said:

^It'd be less of a joke, if Silver Line would someday adapt the tracks as exclusive lanes through Uptown. But as it stands now, Silver Line will require rebuilding Gold Line at the Hawthorne bridge.  Poor planning.

Are you saying the Silver Line will require rebuilding Hawthorne bridge... again?

I can't even wrap my head around this.....

5 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Are you saying the Silver Line will require rebuilding Hawthorne bridge... again?

I can't even wrap my head around this.....

The preferred alignment along Independence won't have room to go under the bridge and Elizabeth's historic status won't allow the line to go over, so the bridge currently under construction will just need to be extended or rebuilt again.

The current bridge reconstruction retains the existing abutments on either side of the Independence Blvd expressway. The conversion of the busway into a reversible toll lane is also planned to expand to two lanes in either direction, which also can't fit under the rebuilt bridge.  The current reconstruction only addresses the load of the bridge deck for streetcar, plus the relocation of the central pier for the initial busway conversion to a single reversible lane. Neither the unfunded Silver Line nor a second-phase and programmed expansion of the toll lanes have the room between the bridge abutments retained by Gold Line construction. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, tozmervo said:

So this looks like pretty sophisticated transportation, but along with these new cars is there any intention to speed up travel along the Gold Line?  I was watching a video on  Youtube of a trip along the current Gold Line route through Uptown.  It looked painfully slow.  It appeared people could get to their destination much more quickly by walking.

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

So this looks like pretty sophisticated transportation, but along with these new cars is there any intention to speed up travel along the Gold Line?  I was watching a video on  Youtube of a trip along the current Gold Line route through Uptown.  It looked painfully slow.  It appeared people could get to their destination much more quickly by walking.

These modern vehicles will be able to go faster, stop faster, accelerate faster, be boarded faster and break down less. so overall yes, there should be an increase of speed. 

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

These modern vehicles will be able to go faster, stop faster, accelerate faster, be boarded faster and break down less. so overall yes, there should be an increase of speed. 

That's good to know.  Still I wonder, though, unlike the lightrail trains, these vehicles don't have a dedicated right of way, so it seems like they're no different than riding a bus, just a whole lot more expensive than a bus system.

• Like 2

That's good to know.  Still I wonder, though, unlike the lightrail trains, these vehicles don't have a dedicated right of way, so it seems like they're no different than riding a bus, just a whole lot more expensive than a bus system.

Twice the capacity, more permanent, and far less stigmatized that bus travel for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, tozmervo said:

seen on r/UrbanHell, it seemed apropos to the discussion

11rrfwceigq21.jpg

We would be lucky to ever have this much density so far from the core.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:35 PM, kermit said:

Results of Toronto’s three-block dedicated streetcar lane project on King street:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/king-street-pilot-project-should-be-permanent-city-staff-report-says-1.5080955

We all know what needs to be done to make the Gold Line a success, we just need the sack to do it.

Banning most vehicles from Trade makes too much sense to ever happen.  We're busy taking a lane out of 5th/6th instead of this.

Driveway access would be the problem. Between what, Church and College? Everywhere that the streetcar uses the outside lane and there is a driveway, it would be a problem. In some cases it is just a parking lot where alternate access could be arranged, but especially for the parking deck entrances between Church and College there is not an easy solution.