Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

USC Upstate is looking at adding an educational facility in downtown Greenville: http://www2.wspa.com...-gr-ar-3438609/

It's interesting that they're looking at Mayberry Street. I wonder if the City has helped steer them there as a part of their new park proposal and west side revitalization/investment strategy, or if they've just come across some available land? I wish whatever they might do would be as attractive as their business school in downtown Spartanburg. I wonder why they wouldn't want to be in the CBD? I'm a little fearful of what their parking proposal will be...

Did you notice the Council agenda document said the Moore School of Business would be in Riverplace ?

With as little space as they're planning to occupy, it could really be either 550 South Main or The Terrace couldn't it? Although, with such little space left in the 550 building, they might not want to subdivide that any further.

Edited by GvilleSC

Regarding USC Upstate;

Looking at the Greenville County GIS maps, the citys owns nearly all of the land on both sides of Mayberry Street. The only exceptions are Tabernacale Church, one longtime property owner next to Mayberry Park, and three parcels surrounding the Mayberry/Peden intersection. Interestingly, the three parcels at Mayberry and Peden just changed ownership last month. The council resolution didn't say anything about a transfer of city property, so I wonder if USC Upstate is going on the triple parcel. That would put it at the far end of the new park, away from DT and the Kroc Center campus.

I question if Mayberry Street is the best location for this. There isn't a lot of visiblity and I would prefer more residential and mixed-uses. 11.5 acres is a pretty big chuck of the available land.

Here are some other possibilities I thought of;

1. Peacock Site

2. Former Postal Facility site at Calvin Street

3. AgFA Building on Academy

4. Water System Building on Broad St. [some ajacent land is for sale currently too]

5. Academy and Westfield (across from Kroc center)

6. Church St. Walmart site

7. County Square (Auto/Tire store)

8. Cline property between Heritage Green and Pete Hollis

9. Triangle between Rutherford and Pete Hollis

10. Stone & N. Main

11. Sun Trust building at McBee & Falls St. The building is mostly occupied now, but the parking lot is large enough for new buildings or garages to be added.

Thoughts, other potential sites?

If Erwin Penland follows through with a new office building, then their current buildings on Broad Street would provide an excellent location for a school.

I thought about that as well. They could even start with Ervin Penland, and grow to include the Sun Trust building later.

I question if Mayberry Street is the best location for this. There isn't a lot of visiblity and I would prefer more residential and mixed-uses. 11.5 acres is a pretty big chuck of the available land.

Here are some other possibilities I thought of;

1. Peacock Site

2. Former Postal Facility site at Calvin Street

3. AgFA Building on Academy

To the best of my knowledge, Agfa is holding steady in that facility and has even grown a little over the past year. While they have subleased part of the upper floors to the shrinking presence of AbitibiBowater (reflected in the reduced parking demand in the front lot), substantial interior modifications are currently underway in the building to enhance Agfa's ability to support sales and training on new product lines.

Speaking of that neighborhood, I agree that the vacant property on the north side of the Water Co. building would be a good possibility. That oft overlooked site at the corner of W. Washington St. and Butler Ave./W. Broad St., inclusive of the empty parking lot and Chuck Orr's former auto glass shop, is ripe for redevelopment. I know that Orr's property is available, and I think the parking lot (owned by the Commissioner of Public Works, according to the GCGIS map) has been on the market even longer. I wonder also about the empty lot on the other side of Chuck's. Anyway, I'd like to see some development happening on that side of downtown.

Does USC Upstate plan to build dorms for their downtown campus, or will they just be a commuter school?

If they intend to have resident students then the Mayberry St area and 11 acres makes more sense than a Main Street or business district site.

Does USC Upstate plan to build dorms for their downtown campus, or will they just be a commuter school?

If they intend to have resident students then the Mayberry St area and 11 acres makes more sense than a Main Street or business district site.

You make a good point. However, the city council resolution refers to an 'urban non-residential' campus. Although, it would seem to make sense that at least the future option for student housing should be provided for.

They could save time and mone by simply reverting back to their original plan to build a campus adjacent to Greenville Tech. That would make better sense, considering many - if not most - of their students will be transfering from Tech anyway. Housing is not an issue there either, and the Swamp Rabbit Trail can be easily accessed from the school.

CPW also listed as owner of Chuck Orr's former auto glass shop, deed dated 03/08/2012. Interesting.

In the block bound by Hyde, Mayfield, Washington and Broad, the City/CPW own a total of 8.3 acres. The remaining acre is owned by two parties, one of which (Joshua McGriff), bought on 3/08/2012 as well.

"Not once in my 6+ years on Council have we ever handled an economic development project in this manner.

Mr. Mayor, this lack of transparency and full disclosure is very disappointing. It doesn’t make for good, healthy and effective government. We can and must do better."

Source: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/CouncilAgendas/minutes/2012/MARCH/Formal/3-26-2012/DraftMinutes3-19-2012.pdf

Edited by citylife

Journal article about USC-U. Maybe this topic needs it's own thread?

http://www.journalwatchdog.com/schools/1376-usc-upstate-wants-to-build-downtown-greenville-campus

Obviously Suddath thinks there might be a better location. I agree with him. This future park will need a 24-hour presence, and unless dormitories are in the eventual plan, there would not be (on the 11 acres in question at least).

Reading the minutes, it appears this location was choosen because USC system President Pastides wants it. His opinion alone is not sufficient justification, IMO. I am open minded on this though.

Edited by vicupstate

Reading the minutes, it appears this location was choosen because USC system President Pastides wants it. His opinion alone is not sufficient justification, IMO. I am open minded on this though.

My biggest concern with this whole project is the footprint and building massing. This site bothers me because of its lack of contextual precedents for strong urban form. And, I agree that this new park is going to need very good neighbors.

With Clemson's statement that they want their students to brush shoulders with the Upstate's business leaders, their prime address makes sense in the CBD. So far, we've yet to really understand USCU's motive and extent of programs (other than reaching Greenville's residents). So, it's hard to judge their location based on their needs. If it's a commuter campus, then there's not going to be much spin-off development, I wouldn't think, and parking is going to be in high demand. :sick: Hopefully they'll either select a location where a garage is accessible, or they'll be required to build one (with or without the City's help).

Windstream to add space in Landmark building (143,000 square feet) but also leave their space at 2 North Main Street (88,000 square feet): http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/43218-windstream-corp-consolidating-downtown-greenville-space?rss=0 Overall, a net gain of 55,000 square feet which is great to see. Even though they don't state it, I am hearing this will lead to new jobs and already has. Would LOVE to see a renovation done to the building they are vacating that would add retail/restaurant space and possible apartment units.

Edited by citylife

Windstream to add space in Landmark building (143,000 square feet) but also leave their space at 2 North Main Street (88,000 square feet): http://www.gsabusine...lle-space?rss=0 Overall, a net gain of 55,000 square feet which is great to see. Even though they don't state it, I am hearing this will lead to new jobs and already has. Would LOVE to see a renovation done to the building they are vacating that would add retail/restaurant space and possible apartment units.

Glad to see them taking up more space in the Landmark building, plus consuming more office space in the CBD!

And, I too, would love to see something significant happen to 2 North Main Street.

Great news. With the ONE project now underway, you would have to think it is a very opportune time to alter the building. The building immediately next to this one at Washington & Brown Street is already converting to restaurant/bar space.

I haven't seen the Office Vacancy rates in a long time, it would seem that the rate has to have fallen pretty signifcantly lately. There has been a lot of leasing activity in the last 12 months or so DT.