Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

That sucks. Hopefully they mean it about keeping a presence here.

I understand the whole central location idea, but I'm not sure that could convince me to move to Jacksonville. Atleast not from Greenville anyway. The Winn Dixie execs must have a good bit of pull...

Well, I used to shop at Bi-Lo. Not anymore. They just loss all of my business and respect. I'll be doing my shopping at Publix from now on. If they want to give a screw you to the consumers like me who did nothing but support them in this area then i'll give it to them right back.

Looks like Bilo is moving to Jacksonville. :dunno:

Maybe the $6.6 million incentive package from the City of Jacksonville, the State of Florida and other sources had something to do with the decision. With approximately $93 in million capital investment over ten years at stake, along with 100 new high-wage jobs, this is a large economic loss to the Upstate. Apparently some people in South Carolina were snoozing bog time! http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2012/03/12/bi-lo-gets-6-million-in-incentives-to.html

I understand the whole central location idea, but I'm not sure that could convince me to move to Jacksonville. Atleast not from Greenville anyway. The Winn Dixie execs must have a good bit of pull...

"While both states courted Bi-Lo with incentives, Onstead said Florida and Jacksonville’s incentive package of up to $6.64 million was ultimately the more compelling offer." Money talks and Onstead walks. http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2012/03/12/bi-lo-ceo-begins-tenure-in.html

Perhaps someone was snoozing but I would think that SC offerred some incentives as well, but it was insufficient to change there minds. Perhaps the incentives weren't even necessary to get BiLo to move, but were available for the asking.

That said, given SC has NO Fortune 500 companies, they should have made a strong offer.

Maybe the $6.6 million incentive package from the City of Jacksonville, the State of Florida and other sources had something to do with the decision. With approximately $93 in million capital investment over ten years at stake, along with 100 new high-wage jobs, this is a large economic loss to the Upstate. Apparently some people in South Carolina were snoozing bog time! http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2012/03/12/bi-lo-gets-6-million-in-incentives-to.html

Corporate welfare. Pure and simple. Read the Florida papers. Greenville was initially the favored headquarters. Both Florida and the city of Jacksonville offered numerous incentives that were not matched by South Carolina / Mauldin. There were DEFINITELY people who were snoozing. That is happening a good deal lately.

Local discussions at least on the county level were done with Bi-Lo, but the company did not ask for an incentive proposal because, I think, the decision to move their HQ had been made in advance as part of their merger negotiations.   

Interesting observation, and you could be right. Certainly SOMEone should have taken the initiative, however, regardless of whether or not Bi-Lo ASKED for a proposal. This is a black eye for Mauldin, for Greenville County, for the Upstate and for South Carolina. Where was Governor Haley this time around?It is interesting that one article states " the decision was made because Jacksonville is centrally located within the now 688-unit chain’s eight-state system" while another says the incentive package is the reason. On the other hand, given the states that are spanned by the combined corporate footprint, I could argue that Mauldin would be more central to the corporate footprint, especially if the chain expands into new states.I don't think the whole story is out yet.

The BiLo President said he would remain in Mauldin.

What has confused me is that there are two Bi-Lo entities, with separate corporate executives. One is the parent company, Bi-Lo Holdings, the president and CEO of which is Randall Onstead, who will be relocating to Jacksonville and is already working there as of yesterday. The other entity is the Bi-Lo supermarket subsidiary, which has its own as president and CEO in Michael Byars. He apparently is remaining in Mauldin. So, perhaps one could rightfully say that Bi-Lo is both going AND staying! News reports have referred to each executive as simply "Bi-Lo president and CEO," which hasn't helped any in understanding what exactly is going on.

I'm surprised to see AbitibiBowater still showing up as a South Carolina company. After the merger in 2007, the headquarters and executive offices were relocated to Montreal, with only a regional manufacturing and sales office left in Greenville. Since the beginning of 2011, most of the remaining positions have been moved north, leaving barely a skeleton crew operating out of rented office space here - a far cry from the once proud corporate presence.

Interesting article:

http://jacksonville.com/business/2012-03-12/story/winn-dixie-merger-brings-bi-lo-headquarters-jacksonville

One sentence is frightening......none of Winn Dixie's 900 corporate employees will be replaced with Bi-Lo employees. Great. Those 900 corporate employees that currently run dirty, filthy, low end Winn Dixie stores will think it is OK to run Bi-Lo stores the same way (not that Bi-Lo stores are anything that great to start). Something tells me, Publix will see a large percentage of market share gain in the Upstate market.....

So as it turns out, South Carolina DID offer more incentives than Florida:

“South Carolina was very, very aggressive offering a whole lot more than we could come up with,” said Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll at the news conference.

Source: http://www.jaxdailyr...Story_id=535905

Seeing how the CEO of Bi-Lo Inc. is staying in Greenville maybe it won't be as bad as we all think. Hopefully it ends up like TD Bank did in this area after they bought Carolina First. You know...new jobs and regional HQ.

Edited by citylife

Existing home sales in Greater Greenville rose for the fourth consecutive month in February.

Sales were up 12.3 percent from a year ago in this region, which includes Pickens and Laurens counties, according to statistics from the Greater Greenville Association of Realtors.

The association’s monthly report also showed a 15.5 percent increase in year-to-date sales and a drop in inventory by 14.4 percent.

The year to date sales volume was up 21 percent, which reflects the average price climbing 4.8 percent, with the median price up 7.7 percent.

Buyers purchased 447 residences in February, compared to the 398 sold in February 2011, the report says.

Source: Local home sales climb for 4th straight month {sodEmoji.|} The Greenville News {sodEmoji.|} GreenvilleOnline.com