The Rumor Mill

btoy

Here are a couple rather juicy rumors to get everyone thinking hard:

1. Just north of the proposed mixed-use development on I-85 involving either a Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's, another large retail project could be in the works. This one would be a magnet outlet center.

2. This is the very interesting rumor. Mercedes is said to have bought a large piece of property in the Upstate. My source believed it was somewhere "near BMW," though which BMW location I cannot confirm.

Interesting stuff, Skyliner.

A "magnet outlet center"... would this be like Charleston's Tanger Outlets? I wish Greenville County were landing either it OR the Hwy 14 development... But I guess one county can't contain everything. Whatever it is, I hope it at least looks nice. Charleston's is tacky. :sick:

I wonder what it will take for a BRT, or some sort of transit to run along the 85 corridor and link to the Line that should connect to downtown?

Edited by GvilleSC

Here are a couple rather juicy rumors to get everyone thinking hard:

1. Just north of the proposed mixed-use development on I-85 involving either a Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's, another large retail project could be in the works. This one would be a magnet outlet center.

2. This is the very interesting rumor. Mercedes is said to have bought a large piece of property in the Upstate. My source believed it was somewhere "near BMW," though which BMW location I cannot confirm.

WIth regards to number 1. I know a developer from out of state has been looking, but heard that prices are alot higher than they were expecting.

If we are going to get an outlet mall type development, I would like to see it away from the city. The proposed location north of the I-85/Highway 14 development sounds okay.

A location I would prefer, though, would be along the Southern Connector somewhere. It would really spur development out that way.

Greenville I agree I think a Powdersville location or southern connector would be great. I also thought about a outlet type center between Greenville and Easley on 123 across from the abandoned golfcourse that is in the redevelopement stages.

Just north of the proposed mixed-use development on I-85 involving either a Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's, another large retail project could be in the works. This one would be a magnet outlet center.

Assuming this is northward up I-85, Exits 60 (SC-101) and 68 (SC-129) come to mind. Exit 60 is primarily trucking terminals. Exit 68 has nothing on it.

I heard recently that Toyota was looking at a major investment at I-CAR im not sure if that means a manufactoring facility or if it means something with there racing development. The rumor I heard was that they were the company that will get phase 2 of I-CAR started.We have all heard over the past little bit that a major anouncement should be happening anytime I wonder if this could be it.My source informed me that the area inside I-CAR would be large and would take a little while to get the facility designed to "fit " inside the development. Take this with a grain of salt, but usually this guy is pretty knowledgable. Imagine the possibilities.

I heard recently that Toyota was looking at a major investment at I-CAR im not sure if that means a manufactoring facility or if it means something with there racing development. The rumor I heard was that they were the company that will get phase 2 of I-CAR started.We have all heard over the past little bit that a major anouncement should be happening anytime I wonder if this could be it.My source informed me that the area inside I-CAR would be large and would take a little while to get the facility designed to "fit " inside the development. Take this with a grain of salt, but usually this guy is pretty knowledgable. Imagine the possibilities.

That would be fantastic! The Journal said that we should hear a major announcement from Clemson University in the following two weeks (i think), but those two weeks have passed (on week three now). And we have been hearing of a large announcement looming and one that would force phase two to begin, but no word yet. Toyota seems like a great company that we would want to be a part of the growing corporate base here in Greenville. You say take this with a grain of salt, but a lot of pieces fit. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully the Journal was only a couple of weeks off on their announcement date, and we'll hear something soon! ;)

Greenville I agree I think a Powdersville location or southern connector would be great. I also thought about a outlet type center between Greenville and Easley on 123 across from the abandoned golfcourse that is in the redevelopement stages.

I do not much care for the idea of an outlet mall in Greenville. They tend to be very tacky, and do litle to add to the QOL for the average citizen (IMO). However, if we do get one, then I think the Southern connector would be the way to go, as it would add traffic to the road, help pay it off, and spur development there. But these things usually go for high traffic areas, so something tells me it would go for I-85 or possibly even 385.

As for Toyota, that would be a great addition to ICAR. I hope that works out.

I am not a huge fan of a Greenville area outlet mall either. The trend used to be that these outlet malls would locate a good distance away from an urban center (e.g., Commerce, Gaffney, etc.). I was shocked when the outlet mall opened in North Charleston, a mere 5 minutes from the Charleston area's largest mall and about 10 minutes from downtown Charleston. So perhaps the thought process regarding outlet mall locations is changing.

So if Greenville absolutely must have one, I would prefer that it is used to spur growth and development. As I stated in a previous post, somewhere along the Southern Connector would be perfect for this. I can't imagine that Greenville leaders would allow one to be put too close to malls and other "regular" retail centers, but then again if it is is a private development then perhaps nothing could be done to stop it.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the large retail development at I-85 and Highway 14 could largely consist of outlet stores? After all, Bass Pro Shops tends to be in locations where there are outlet malls (Concord, NC as well as the outlet mall not too far outside of Atlanta along I-85 come to mind as examples of this).

I am not a huge fan of a Greenville area outlet mall either. The trend used to be that these outlet malls would locate a good distance away from an urban center (e.g., Commerce, Gaffney, etc.). I was shocked when the outlet mall opened in North Charleston, a mere 5 minutes from the Charleston area's largest mall and about 10 minutes from downtown Charleston. So perhaps the thought process regarding outlet mall locations is changing.

So if Greenville absolutely must have one, I would prefer that it is used to spur growth and development. As I stated in a previous post, somewhere along the Southern Connector would be perfect for this. I can't imagine that Greenville leaders would allow one to be put too close to malls and other "regular" retail centers, but then again if it is is a private development then perhaps nothing could be done to stop it.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the large retail development at I-85 and Highway 14 could largely consist of outlet stores? After all, Bass Pro Shops tends to be in locations where there are outlet malls (Concord, NC as well as the outlet mall not too far outside of Atlanta along I-85 come to mind as examples of this).

Hmmm...so maybe a "Mills" development would be better than an outlet mall. I like it! :thumbsup:

Traditionally Outlet Malls have been for the most part a place to get clothes from local textile manufacturers. The large outlet mall in gaffney is nothing new as Hamrick's itself was based in Gaffney.

Well, the textile era is practically a thing of the past, how about BMW and Michelin opening some outlets! :)

That was my first question, but apparently this rumor has it that the outlet center would be in addition to the proposal including a potential BPS or Cabela's.

Nope. Not even close to being an outlet center.

Care to give more details?

I had heard Audi was looking at the U.S. Hadn't heard anything about Greenville, but this would be incredible, to have two of the three leading German marks.

Audi would be interesting, but I don't think their sales in the US are that strong.

From what my sources tell me, Audi is planning on building some type of automobile manufacturing plant in the US and South Carolina is on the short list of potential spots, with Greenville targeted if they do come to SC.

Supposedly Audi wants to come right into BMW's backyard and create a bit of rivalry. Audi is planning on really reworking it's line in order to better compete with BMW and Mercedes. Supposedly?

My sources tell me that it appears that Audi in SC is basically a done deal...their reps have been in the area quite a bit in the past year or so, unnoticeably I might add, and several people told me that it was their understanding that an October announcement should be expected.

Who knows if this is true or not, BUT...it must be worth something because BMW has gone into HR-crisis mode in fear of losing tons of disgruntled associates en masse to Audi sometime in the future. Plus, my sources are all reliable and extremely knowledgeable about the international auto industry, especially since a few work in the industry. :)

I am guessing that any automotive manufacturer interested in the Upstate is also highly focused on ICAR's presence as an international research and development facility. That is what has helped put Greenville above many other potential locations for new auto-related plants.

From what my sources tell me, Audi is planning on building some type of automobile manufacturing plant in the US and South Carolina is on the short list of potential spots, with Greenville targeted if they do come to SC.

Supposedly Audi wants to come right into BMW's backyard and create a bit of rivalry. Audi is planning on really reworking it's line in order to better compete with BMW and Mercedes. Supposedly?

My sources tell me that it appears that Audi in SC is basically a done deal...their reps have been in the area quite a bit in the past year or so, unnoticeably I might add, and several people told me that it was their understanding that an October announcement should be expected.

Who knows if this is true or not, BUT...it must be worth something because BMW has gone into HR-crisis mode in fear of losing tons of disgruntled associates en masse to Audi sometime in the future. Plus, my sources are all reliable and extremely knowledgeable about the international auto industry, especially since a few work in the industry. :)

Could this be Project Skyline?