New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Yeah I saw Angelina at Canal Place. She was doing some shopping with the kids.

WHAT!!!!

I've gotta get a spotter down there or something, because I'm in Canal Place multiple times every week. Was she in Saks Fifth Avenue?

I want me some Angelina!

do you think that Brad and Angelina are going to buy a house in New Orleans because, they've been coming to New Orleans often?

It wouldn't suprise me at all. Brad Pitt is known to be a big fan of New Orleans, he's working here with the rebuilding plans of individual neighborhoods, he's somewhat of a junior-architect and loves architecture, so this is the right place for him. Also, If I remember correctly, after he finishes his current movie in New Orleans, he has another here to film. It wouldn't suprise me at all if they bought some big mansion in the Garden District along Saint Charles Avenue, or something like that.

It wouldn't suprise me at all. Brad Pitt is known to be a big fan of New Orleans, he's working here with the rebuilding plans of individual neighborhoods, he's somewhat of a junior-architect and loves architecture, so this is the right place for him. Also, If I remember correctly, after he finishes his current movie in New Orleans, he has another here to film. It wouldn't suprise me at all if they bought some big mansion in the Garden District along Saint Charles Avenue, or something like that.

That would be awesome.

Question: Does Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor still live in the Garden District?

No Trent Reznor moved a few years back...but he still loves to visit the city. He put on a free show here last year right after the storm at "The Fly" in Audubon Park.

That was a really cool name to have living in the city. I remember in high school, my friends and I wanted to go down to the Garden District and try to see if we could spot him and get his autograph. :lol: I guess we figured we'd see him out walking his poodle or something. That is, if he owns a poodle. :P

Man I'd have loved to catch a free concert by him...

If that's the case, they'll be right around the corner from me.

What exactly gave New Orleans that boost several hundred years ago? Just wondering.I always found it interesting though that both B.R. and O.N. were discovered/founded around the realtively same time. I guess all I can say for B.R. is be happy Standard Oil came along. :D

I still can't believe it(well I guess I can) a Trump. That is going to be nice.

Keep in mind...New Orleans' importance as a port to the fledgling United States was such that Thomas Jefferson used money the country didn't have to buy about a quarter of the North American continent in order to get the one city. Of course, he only set out to buy the city itself (well, the Isle d'Orleans if you want to get technical), and the offer as Napoleon framed it turned out to be a pretty sweet deal in and of itself...but the fact remains that the importance to the future of the United States that Jefferson placed on control of New Orleans was the impetus for the entire Louisiana Purchase and remained the main benefit of the deal for many years afterward.

37-story tower pegged for CBD

Apartments slated on Poydras corner

Article from the Times-Picayune

The project will create 300 construction jobs, and construction could begin in May and wrap up by December 2008.

Although renderings were not released, the project calls for 37 stories, the first eight floors of which will be devoted to 509 parking spaces.

This is so great to see. I just hope we can get to GOZONE expiration date pushed back by a couple of years. i think that this could be manageable. Hope the design will be nice.

Off Topic! Did anyone see today that in Chicago they are building a condo that will have its highest unit 2,000 feet above ground. Can you imagine that!

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=23109

Apartments slated on Poydras corner

Article from the Times-Picayune

Can't wait to see a rendering for this one! Filling in another parking lot on Poydras in that dead zone between Poydras Plaza and BellSouth will really add to the Poydras canyon. More people and retail downtown :thumbsup:

Off Topic! Did anyone see today that in Chicago they are building a condo that will have its highest unit 2,000 feet above ground. Can you imagine that!

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=23109

That looks a lot better with out the spire on it and a lot more impressive. Looks like America is getting back in the skyscraper race. :)

It's good to the GO Zone stimulating growth. Sounds like a great set-up. And a lounge on the top level (38th floor) What a view !!! I'm looking forward to watching this devlopment unfold.

That swirly design for Chicago looks crazy; how do the build something like that?

Edited by richyb83

I think this is it. 26-story high rise hotel on the edge of FQ.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5811582

Hey Richy, does The Advocate usually cover development news from New Orleans? Or was this more of a one time thing as it was somewhat controversial? I'm just curious, as the only the only Baton Rouge news the Times-Picayune covers is major business news, nothing else really.