Norfolk Arts and Entertainment

skylinefan

18 hours ago, Norva757 said:

So what is the truth then

That crime happens in this city yes, but to say that it happens at every big crowd and is what stopped first friday's from happening is just plain wrong. Folks so often catastrophize Norfolk crime, and it's part of the reason why we don't have a nightlife downtown anymore. Pushing 'crime in downtown Norfolk is so rampant we can't even have a fun social gathering' is not helpful

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• vdogg locked and unlocked this topic

Artic i wasnt necessarily saying its rampant but i did work for the light rail and i got to listen and deal with the problems that were going on down there. There was a lot of stuff not reported on the news that went on. I think DT Norfolk is a great place and want it to expand and have a better night life like we deserve. I dont come on here to argue or prove a point. All I want is this city to live up to its potential and beyond. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Sam Samsalone a Realtor in Hampton Roads has a really cool youtube video about the NEON district of Norfolk.  I think once more housing gets built here this area is going to really explode.  

Obviously he’s a real estate agent and mentioning apartments doesn’t benefit him but there are so many more places to live in NEON than the one building he mentioned. Disappointed he didn’t at least make mention of that since he has a larger audience than people looking to buy a home. 

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, ONCE1stBlvd said:

It's crazy how when the city is incredibly hostile to nightlife, it disappears! I've heard them say they are trying to recruit younger folks to come to or stay in the area, better make sure there's nothing that they want to do while they're here! I'm sure that'll work.

This city frustrates the hell out of me sometimes. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/25/2024 at 11:50 AM, ONCE1stBlvd said:

Please no link only posts. Include a short paragraph or excerpt from the article next time. 

On 5/26/2024 at 8:43 PM, baobabs727 said:

Yes, just where smart, young, upwardly mobile, high earning young people want to go. To a shoot 'em up!

What does this mean? When Norfolk instituted the crackdown a couple years ago most of us here said it would completely kill nightlife, that is exactly what happened. Nobody wants to go to a club and get shot up, but there needs to be some semblance of a viable nightlife if we’re truly trying to attract young people to this *city. 

They also sent a statement regarding nightlife in the area, saying in part, “Downtown is vibrant and offers opportunities for residents and visitors to enjoy. There are numerous City-owned and privately owned entertainment venues downtown. These establishments provide for a variety of special events, concerts and other programming year-round. The city recently hosted a well-attended seminar for entrepreneurs and business owners interested in obtaining Conditional Use Permits, including late night entertainment”

Yeah, nothing will change. They don’t even think there’s a problem…

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Please no link only posts. Include a short paragraph or excerpt from the article next time. 

What does this mean? When Norfolk instituted the crackdown a couple years ago most of us here said it would completely kill nightlife, that is exactly what happened. Nobody wants to go to a club and get shot up, but there needs to be some semblance of a viable nightlife if we’re truly trying to attract young people to this *city. 

What type of young people are you trying to attract? What is their average education level? Age?   What type of jobs are they going to be performing? How much will they be earning annually? How much will they be paying in rent or how much will they be able to afford as a purchase price?  What will their other hobbies and activities look like? Where will they be moving from?  

11 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

What type of young people are you trying to attract? What is their average education level? Age?   What type of jobs are they going to be performing? How much will they be earning annually? How much will they be paying in rent or how much will they be able to afford as a purchase price?  What will their other hobbies and activities look like? Where will they be moving from?  

Do you think only idiots and poor folks go to night clubs? Don't want any of those ruffians in my city! :eyeroll:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Do you think only idiots and poor folks go to night clubs? Don't want any of those ruffians in my city! :eyeroll:

Woah, woah, woah! No need to get defensive, my dear Arctic Char. It's okay if you go clubbing.  Promise I won't call you an indigent fool.  :eyeroll:.

'Tis a rather sad, yet predictable, commentary on the state of the body politic when one's simple questions are met with hair-on-fire-defensiveness, accusations, assumptions and...alas, zero answers.  

My questions stand.  They are mere questions, not an editorial.

Edited by baobabs727

On 6/3/2024 at 2:42 PM, baobabs727 said:

Woah, woah, woah! No need to get defensive, my dear Arctic Char. It's okay if you go clubbing.  Promise I won't call you an indigent fool.  :eyeroll:.

'Tis a rather sad, yet predictable, commentary on the state of the body politic when one's simple questions are met with hair-on-fire-defensiveness, accusations, assumptions and...alas, zero answers.  

My questions stand.  They are mere questions, not an editorial.

Uh huh. Yeah. Uh huh. "Just asking questions" You ain't slick bud.

In other news, actual business owners talking about foot traffic going down and look what is referenced.

Foot traffic has lessened over the years, said business owners, citing the failure of a previous redevelopment project and the city crackdown that led two Neon nightclubs to close.  They are worried the construction will further deter foot traffic.

“It’s been rough,” said Jason Hawkes, Cardinal Skate Shop owner. “I don’t want to close. I’ve got my whole life invested in this.”

Between those closures and the departure of businesses from the MacArthur Center mall, there are fewer reasons for potential customers to come downtown, Hawkes said.

“What are people going to do here?” he asked.

https://www.pilotonline.com/2024/06/01/norfolks-neon-district-is-getting-a-makeover-businesses-worry-they-wont-survive-the-construction/

Man it's crazy how being incredibly over aggressive and killing night life has knock-on effects!! Maybe those are the "questions" we should actually be asking!

Edited by Arctic_Tern
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The opinion of a few disgruntled business owners does not a FACT set make.  Closing a couple of dangerous bars has not "ruined" business for other law-abiding businesses. That is laughable.

In fact,  real crime and the real fear that crime produces has reduced foot traffic Downtown. Rampant inflation and the relatively weak retail economy has hurt business revenues. Wage pressures  via the increase in the minimum wage has increased labor costs, cut into business profits and thus forced price hikes...which, in turn, have had a deleterious  effect on businesses.

The lack of leadership from the Mayor's office and City Council has both dampened the success of existing businesses... and...resulted in a failure to attract new businesses to Downtown.

The demise of brick and mortar has harmed small and large businesses, alike. Everywhere.

Nightlife is not the be all and end all of a healthy Dowtown. Your demographic is not the center of the universe! HA!

Bottom line, the root of the "business" problem Downtown is SO much more complicated than you purport it to be. 

4 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

The opinion of a few disgruntled business owners does not a FACT set make.  Closing a couple of dangerous bars has not "ruined" business for other law-abiding businesses. That is laughable.

In fact,  real crime and the real fear that crime produces has reduced foot traffic Downtown. Rampant inflation and the relatively weak retail economy has hurt business revenues. Wage pressures  via the increase in the minimum wage has increased labor costs, cut into business profits and thus forced price hikes...which, in turn, have had a deleterious  effect on businesses.

ADVERTISEMENT

The lack of leadership from the Mayor's office and City Council has both dampened the success of existing businesses... and...resulted in a failure to attract new businesses to Downtown.

The demise of brick and mortar has harmed small and large businesses, alike. Everywhere.

Nightlife is not the be all and end all of a healthy Dowtown. Your demographic is not the center of the universe! HA!

Bottom line, the root of the "business" problem Downtown is SO much more complicated than you purport it to be. 

Ok Boomer

• Like 1

23 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

ADVERTISEMENT

I would say that a vibrant nightlife is something that most people, young or old, associate with a healthy downtown/urban area. I find the overt hostility towards that, and people who seek that out, to be a bit confusing in this regard. As far as inflation, declining retail, etc., these are all nation and worldwide issues, yet other cities don’t seem to have experienced anywhere near the significant decline that downtown Norfolk has. This means that there must be other factors at play. While the crackdown on nightlife is not the only reason for this decline, it is as significant part of it. And for what it’s worth, I believe that every person on this forum agrees that Norfolk leadership leaves something to be desired, so you won’t find any pushback on that particular point.

29 minutes ago, vdogg said:

I would say that a vibrant nightlife is something that most people, young or old, associate with a healthy downtown/urban area. I find the overt hostility towards that, and people who seek that out, to be a bit confusing in this regard. As far as inflation, declining retail, etc., these are all nation and worldwide issues, yet other cities don’t seem to have experienced anywhere near the significant decline that downtown Norfolk has. This means that there must be other factors at play. While the crackdown on nightlife is not the only reason for this decline, it is as significant part of it. And for what it’s worth, I believe that every person on this forum agrees that Norfolk leadership leaves something to be desired, so you won’t find any pushback on that particular point.

I would agree that nightlife is an important component of the vibrancy of any downtown.  I would also argue that DT nightlife in Norfolk had been dropping off well BEFORE the "crackdowns" occurred.  I believe that overall DT nightlife suffered as a result of Waterside District's failure to thrive, MacArthur Center's slow decline,  the reports of gun crimes at the mall and around Granby St. , the rise of Virginia Beach Town Center,  and generational changes in tastes/preferences/shopping and dining patters.   For starters.

Edited by baobabs727

To settle yall's argument I think your both right.

Artic is right on the sense that less businesses on the street means less foot traffic. Night clubs were really the only thing keeping foot traffic alive at night. HOWEVER I think if we could attract other businesses that attract a night time audience, we could revive that lost traffic. 

Baobabs is right in the sense that night clubs have generally attracted real crime. That real crime has brought real fear. As a teen I see this all too often. Even though im independent now and so are my friends, their parents worry sick about us going downtown together. I have absolutely no problem walking around downtown and nor do my parents since we live here, however friends and parents who live outside of the downtown area have seen the news and always comment on the dangers and possibilities of experiencing a violent crime here. So yes, the crime has also taken a toll on downtown and fear lingers longer than a empty storefront. 

Its upsetting when I hear this. 

• Like 1