Norfolk Arts and Entertainment

skylinefan

To be honest, it doesn't do much for me.  I don't dislike it, but it doesn't grab me, either.

FWIW, NFK is the Amtrak identifier for Norfolk.  But for air travel, NFK is the airport at Norfolk Island, a tiny speck in the Pacific Ocean between New Zealand and New Caledonia.  Recently, Carnival Cruises incorrectly used photos of Norfolk Island in advertisements announcing their return to Norfolk, VA.  It's easy to tell the two Norfolks apart, though.  Norfolk, Virginia does not have palm trees dotting its beaches, with mountains in the background.

If it did I might not have moved away, that sounds nice.  :thumbsup:

I agree, I was in the Arts District the other day and was astounded by how much it's progressed in the last year.

I also like what the article said about "branding" Norfolk as NFK, similar to Richmond's RVA. It's catchy. What do you guys think? 

never knew about Richmonds RVA, never heard of it.

I've been working in Norfolk this week and have seen a few RVA stickers. Now that it is on your radar, you will notice RVA on a bunch of things.

BTW, Norfolk is looking really, really great. It has turned into such a livable city over the past few years. There are lots of things going on that make this Richmonder jealous and this Virginian proud!

http://rvacreates.com/merchandise.php?page=all

Some idea of how the RVA brand is getting out there.

The tag is on all of the garbage trucks, stickers are on police cars and other city vehicles. You can get smaller stickers like "out" to affix next to your RVA stickers. They come in rainbow flag,Tech and UVA colors, with various animals on them, bike and paddling themes... Publications (RVA Magazine for example) and festivals have "RVA" in the names. It has really been effective (was a graduate school project at the highly acclaimed VCU Brand Center).

Norfolk should capitalize on all the great things going on now. The amount of people (families in particular) on bikes and walking around is astonishing (having grown up in a Tidewater in the 80's my idea of what Norfolk can be was very different). Real synergy can happen. Let's solidify it before people start to take it for granted!

• 1 month later...

Just got out of the meeting to discuss the Granby Lighting plan.  Timeline is to get arched lighting up Granby by xmas for phase one, then a cross over to the Arts District to Va Beach Blvd for phase 2 to come later on.  Complete focus is on phase one for now aka what the Public Arts funds allow for.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't have anything particularly new to say about to Arts District right now, but I just want to point out how quietly successful this District has become.

Since its new branding just two years ago, Work{sodEmoji.|}Release, Zeke’s Beans & Bowls, Alchemy NFK, The Parlor on Granby, and PUSH Comedy Theater have opened and are all thriving, in addition to the great community green space that is the PLOT 2.0. The Glass Wheel Studio and Hurrah Players' new theater are also both opening soon. Kudos to all that have had part in truly turning around this formally blighted section of downtown. 

Edited by Helium3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They added neon lights to a few buildings, and it looks really sweet at night. 

I went to the NEON Festival last night and was blown away by everything. Work Release was really cool and so was all the entertainment. This is the kind of thing the city needs to do more...if they keep it up, I could see Norfolk becoming a bigger city in the next 5-10 years, and keeping more millennials/young professionals. 

This is from my phone. I'll post the pics from my camera tomorrow or Monday. 

20151016_192021.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a few pics I shot Friday night...that stretch of town is coming up really nicely! I was pleasantly surprised to also see more foot traffic on Saturday afternoon, from both the NEON District, and halfway down Granby.

IMG_9302.jpg

IMG_9291.jpg

IMG_9305.jpg

IMG_9375.jpg

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to AltDaily, a new apartment building is being planned. Looks like it's at the corner of VB Blvd. and Granby, and would have 48 units.

http://altdaily.com/features/news/8271-neon-news-plans-for-major-residential-project-in-the-works

I know it's a black and white image, but it looks like another bland apartment building. Would much rather they just convert an older building.

newwww_residential.png