Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Well, it is boxy enough to be one of Richmond's buildings... WHY DON'T WE HAVE A DOME????!!!!! VCU wants to destroy the amazing pyramid we have... Richmond's buildings are never really bold.

Too bad it only the result of a study. I'd like to see this built!

I see you have the tower as your new profile pic, huh :hi:

Interesting enough. I would really love to see the city build it, although I do like Cadeho's suggestion of something a little bit outside the "box" (See what I did there? :rolleyes: And yes, RVA's buildings are very much bland and bleak, although they show great density, I long for that day when someone proposes a true SIGNATURE tower for the city. But I still am hyped with the height and floor count of this RAMZ Tower.... I think it would be a success, especially if it is a primarily residential building. The apartment market is hot right now! :)

I see you have the tower as your new profile pic, huh :hi:

Yeah, I thought it was about time to establish my avatar and thought that the RAMZ Tower was a fresh, new look despite the fact that there is no dome. I have to agree that Richmond seriously needs a signature tower and no, the Federal Reserve building is NOT a signature tower - sorry folks!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Media General couldn't hold up the Times Dispatch any longer.

Warren Buffett, the owner of Berkshire Hathaway, has purchased the RTD and other local papers owned by Media General for a hefty $142 million.

This, as most people presume, also includes the Times Dispact website and Richmond.com.

While Media General gives away the main RVA newspaper, it will continue to maintain all of it's TV and radio stations across the Southeast.

Read all about it in today's Bizsense:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2012/05/17/rtd-and-other-newspapers-sold-to-warren-buffett/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got my power back! But an estimated 113,000 are still without power after that devastating storm earlier in the afternoon today. Heartbreaking tales are in this lengthy RTD article about the storm.

http://www2.timesdis...out-ar-2012601/

The Diamond has sustained damage. Six people are injured. And after driving around Broad Street looking for food like the rest of Henrico, it became pretty obvious that this was quite a storm. The fast food places were packed, people were buying candles and bottled water, and the traffic on Broad was very surprising. Also half of the shops and eateries on Staples Mill were blacked out. A Wawa was blocked off from cars trying to get gas or hoagies. And who can forget the endless amount of toppled trees, stranded branches on the roads, and piles of leaves in the median?

Also some houses have sustained quite damage. Driving back home on West End Dr., I saw a big tree that had fallen on a house. That is also mentioned in the article.

I never thought Mother Nature could depress a region in only five hours.

My heart is out there to anyone who have lost their homes or belongings in this devastating storm, and I wish the entire region a speedy recovery from the dark of no electricity.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

I was watching the weather channel when they broke in with news of the Richmond storm.

This morning's RTD reports that 63,000 homes and businesses are still without power in Metro Richmond.

Here's is full coverage from the newspaper with lots of pictures and some videos. Check the Related box for additional coverage.

http://www2.timesdis...ond-ar-2014209/

Really Burt? The Weather Channel actually cared enough to break away from their 24 hour incessant coverage of a minimal tropical storm doing things that tropical systems do?

All I know is, it was really, really scary in Innsbrook and the first time since I've been there that work stopped to head to the interior of the building and get e-mail alerts to take cover. I was actually ahead of them because I hate storms and was watching it approach and it was freaky. But when the windows started bowing in and out... I was a puff of smoke.

Really Burt? The Weather Channel actually cared enough to break away from their 24 hour incessant coverage of a minimal tropical storm doing things that tropical systems do?

All I know is, it was really, really scary in Innsbrook and the first time since I've been there that work stopped to head to the interior of the building and get e-mail alerts to take cover. I was actually ahead of them because I hate storms and was watching it approach and it was freaky. But when the windows started bowing in and out... I was a puff of smoke.

I work just outside of Innsbrook. During the earthquake I stood right next the the fourth story windows, but this storm had me moving well away from them.

Besides that UVA presidency thing, this storm is pretty much the talk of the town, and I guess all of us can agree on this (so far, at least):

The Richmond region has been the hardest hit in the state in terms of weather.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2012/jun/27/tdmain01-utility-says-bad-weather-has-hit-richmond-ar-2016011/

So soon to speak?

It looks like the Richmond region and a whole lot of other areas have been blown away by yet ANOTHER strong storm complex from the west.

Yesterday, the storm passed over Glen Allen (where we live) from 10:50 to around 11:20. It was over quick, but still left us without power -- for the entire night. We got our power back this morning at around 9:00. When we looked from our second story window into our backyard (which is bordered with woods) we saw garbage cans flipped over, plastic bags everywhere, the scattered tree branches -- luckily no downed trees, because if a tree fell from all the way of where it was, those trees are tall, so it would still be long enough to stretch over and slam into our house....

But our minor wind-induced scene is quite minimal to what the Times-Dispatch reports. The article you see below will greet you with a quite horrifying image of a roof literally strung onto a power line from a house in Jackson Ward.....

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/jun/29/20/severe-thunderstorm-warning-in-effect-for-richmond-ar-2024460/

Of course luckily there weren't any injuries in our area, thank God, but sadly the northern area north of us wasn't so luckily.... the D.C. area has reported two deaths, added with the other 3-4 deaths in NJ and the other states battered by the storms across the East Coast.

Is it over?

We wish.... a National Weather service in Wakefield meteorologist John McGee reports that a repeat of last nights storms are possible at around the same time tonight -- 8-9 pm or 10 pm - onwards....

Severe weather is possible, but he also says it's too early to decide just how strong this system is and how much damage it could possibly cause....

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/jun/30/repeat-violent-weather-possible-tonight-ar-2025238/

Also, just as a bonus, if you type in "6/25/2012 Richmond, va" or something similiar in YouTube, the search will pop up some videos of people who recorded and uploaded videos of Monday's catastrophic event. I was rather surprised as to how many people uploaded videos in the Richmond region of the storm....

Apocalypse now?

TNT's new series "FALLING SKIES" is about post-alien apocalyptic America. One episode, "Love and Other Acts of Courage" is mainly focused on Charleston, SC ( :rolleyes:) but apparently at one point the word "Richmond" is mentioned, and one of the characters instantly thinks about Richmond, Virginia (of course there are OTHER Richmonds they could have been talking about, but apparently there was a Robert E. Lee mural somewhere, which, to the characters, confirmed it was Richmond, Virginia :rolleyes: .

And at one point in the episode, the characters stand on what I'm guessing is the Manchester side of town, and looks over a post-apocalyptic Richmond scene: a almost pond-like James River, blown up and drained, and the skyline looking much different: ash and smoke is billowing everywhere, and the Riverfront Plaza twin towers shells are whats left, one of the towers is partially destructed. Also the James Center buildings are visible, as are some other ones, but more noticeably, the Fed is missing :shok:

See the image for yourself: I will search for the series, hope for a rerun of the episode, and record it with my DVR and keep it.

From Richmond.com

http://www2.richmond...ond-ar-2044399/

EDIT: Also, the Manchester bridge is torn in half, and the Suntrust Plaza building (seen behind some of the others) is practically unrecognizable. :thumbsup:

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best