Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I was searching pics of lovely RVA, and stumbled across a professional photographer. Though I am sure you all have seen these before, I know I was amazed to see such lovely photography. Go to "Galleries", and from there you may select any sort of picture gallery, though I recommend looking at Richmond, or specifically, "Downtown Richmond". They also have pics of houses, the Canal Walk, Capitol Square, and the James River. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. T.A. Wilson.

http://www.tawilsonphotography.com/

I thought this picture was kinda cool:

http://fineartamerica.com/showframe.php?id=2623864

This is the back of the 3 buildings on the 200 block of East Grace street that were formerly abandoned, fire-gutted, and boarded up.

In the picture you can see that they have been restored and now there's a nice landscaped courtyard. The Seaboard Loans sign is also cool. Because of its position, most people have probably never seen it.

BTW, this is what that area looked liked as recently as a year or so ago:

http://g.co/maps/3krpz

You all have to check out the updates to www.RichmondCityWatch.com. Ryan Ramsey has done an excellent job to update the site and his new December photo update is great too! If you have a Facebook account, RichmondCityWatch also has a Facebook page. Go there and "like" the page and you can get more up-to-date information there (you can also click the Facebook link on RichmondCityWatch's home page)! Happy social networking!

It is quite interesting about the history of the First National Bank building from construction to present (a few years ago.....), when BB&T and "other tenants" were the main occupants, but eventually the US Department of Interiors will have to update it for the fact that it will be the future home to 154 new apartment units and bonus amenities :shades:

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/richmond/FirstNationalBank.html

The Robert E. Lee statue on Monument Avenue as well as some commercial buildings in the Gallery District on West Broad Street have been defaced with grafitti.

It is alleged that a person caught on camera at Quirk Gallery is the culprit.

You can read the story and see the video at http://rvanews.com/

It's bad enough that he defaced the properties.

What makes it worse is that he obviously isn't too intelligent (he was caught on camera) and he clearly lacks any kind of talent.

Because I'm trying to get in shape, I've been visiting my local Shady Grove YMCA, and was lucky enough to discover that they have put the new Richmond Magazine February issue up for reading while working out on the cardio machines. And it turns out it was this year's sourcebook! I couldn't read it all, but at the beginning was a bunch of answers from Richmonders who were asked what they would like to see in the next five years in RVA. Many were interesting, including mentions of light rail, BRT, riverfront development, a sparkling new coliseum, and of course, overall improvements before the big month in 2015 :thumbsup: Right now I'm trying to see if I can pull up an online version of the sourcebook because I can't go to the Y tomorrow. But for the past 3 years I have purchased the yearly sourcebook, and it was interesting what people have said about Richmond's past, present, and now, future....everyone has their own visions for their city.... that's why we're the Capital of Creativity :thumbsup:

http://richmondmagazine.com/

Edit: Okay, so it's the JANUARY issue, meaning this is much older than I thought..... :o:mellow:

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

As a proud resident/representative of the River City, I have been hunting down those elusive RVA bumper stickers. I have like 5 already, and have proudly put them on my nightstand, car bumper (where it should), my wife's car bumper (I persuaded her), my laptop bag, and this plain white T-shirt that I thought could end up being an advertisement for the city when I have to travel to NYC or LA or somewhere..... but now I've run out, and have been searching EVERYWHERE. Suprisingly, when I went to the visitor's center inside the Convention Center when I visited the Festival of India, they didn't have any, and when I asked them where i could find them, I got a "I don't know" as a response, leaving me rather puzzled. So now that I remember those things again, I want to see where I CAN get them. So far, Richmond.com has come up with a list, but all of those are deep in the city, and I NEVER get time to visit there unless I'm there for the Folk Festival (where I got my first five stickers), or for a festival at the Convention Center. I work on Capital One campus in Goochland in West Creek, and live in Glen Allen. And with my wife expecting, I will have no time to go anywhere in leisure time!!! Maybe I can get a crib from LaDiff and some stickers? But that won't be for another month or 2..... can anyone tell me where I can find those elusive stickers?? All of my friends have like hundreds that are in use, and I want to show how proud I am of my city. HELP :dunno:

Oh, and here's that article from Richmond.com: http://www2.richmond.com/news/2011/jul/13/elusive-rva-bumper-sticker-ar-1168152/

Last night I watched The Grammy Awards until 9 o'clock when I switched over to Public TV to see a 2-hour episode of DOWNTON ABBEY.

Richmond was well represented among Grammy entertainers.

The most remarkable visual event I saw was Chris Brown and his athletic group of dancers performing on a series of brilliantly designed and lighted risers. -- And he sounded damned good, too.

Chris grew up down the road in Tappahannock.

From today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...mys-ar-1685255/

Genworth Corporation is to be congratulated for dispersing the furnishings of the RAMADA PLAZA HOTEL to those in need through the charitable organization called CARITAS.

But I am stunned that the once elegant hotel is to be demolished. When it opened as The Hyatt House in 1974 it was easily the finest hostelry in Richmond (The Jefferson had not yet been rejuvenated.)

It had an excellent restaurant unlike any other in the area, and the inn's general ambiance was resort-like.

Subsequently, Hyatt relinquished it and the hotel became part of The Sheridan chain, but ended its days as a Ramada property.

Genworth occupies 4 buildings on its campus directly across West Broad Street from Altria Headquarters and the Westin Richmond Hotel at Reynolds Crossing.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2012/feb/15/tdbiz01-former-ramada-to-be-demolished-hotel-items-ar-1689389/

Genworth Corporation is to be congratulated for dispersing the furnishings of the RAMADA PLAZA HOTEL to those in need through the charitable organization called CARITAS.

But I am stunned that the once elegant hotel is to be demolished. When it opened as The Hyatt House in 1974 it was easily the finest hostelry in Richmond (The Jefferson had not yet been rejuvenated.)

It had an excellent restaurant unlike any other in the area, and the inn's general ambiance was resort-like.

Subsequently, Hyatt relinquished it and the hotel became part of The Sheridan chain, but ended its days as a Ramada property.

Genworth occupies 4 buildings on its campus directly across West Broad Street from Altria Headquarters and the Westin Richmond Hotel at Reynolds Crossing.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ems-ar-1689389/

That is really shocking....and sad.... I remember staying there frequently when my job was in RVA and we lived in Newport News.... it was such an elegant place.... now they should find someway to make use of it. And it should be a pretty good use too....

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ems-ar-1689389/

Interesting. My first job out of college was at GE Financial (which is what they were called pre-Genworth. I believe they were Life of Virginia before that). We used to have company meetings there and they had Christmas parties too. I could probably attribute a few hangovers to that place as well :) It was a nice hotel back then in the late 1990s. Then it went down hill afterwards.

Interesting. My first job out of college was at GE Financial (which is what they were called pre-Genworth. I believe they were Life of Virginia before that). We used to have company meetings there and they had Christmas parties too. I could probably attribute a few hangovers to that place as well :) It was a nice hotel back then in the late 1990s. Then it went down hill afterwards.

Although demolition of the old Hyatt House is sad, I'm glad that it revived memories of your time in Richmond, dbull. :good:

I always enjoy reading your entries here and in Charlotte.

Thomas Jefferson fashioned Virginia's Capitol after the Maison Caree (forgive my lack of accents -- don't know how to find them on the computer) in France.

USA Today ranks it among the ten prettiest to look at in the nation.

From Phil Riggan in yesterday's Richmond dot com (be sure to click on the links:)

http://www2.richmond...ist-ar-1696830/

My 22-year-old cat passed away today at around 6:30 AM. :cry:

So we were to bury him at this pet cemetery on Southside, and I decided to take the scenic route, and drove down Broad, made a right on Glenside, drove all the way down Monument, took a driving stroll through the streets of VCU (my university :)), and drove down Cary and through Shockoe Slip and across the Mayo Bridge.

But anyways, as I was driving down Cary, I passed the Jefferson Hotel, and saw that the left wing (from Cary) was covered in construction stuff (metal pipes and such) Does anyone know if they are doing renovation work or something? It really looked like they were renovating or restoring the outer facade of the left wing. I meant to take a pic with my iPhone, but I was driving and could only snap a big blur. <_< Can anyone tell me what's going on @ the Jeff? With work and the baby on the way I barely get the time to even drive down here into Downtown anymore....

My 22-year-old cat passed away today at around 6:30 AM. :cry:

So we were to bury him at this pet cemetery on Southside, and I decided to take the scenic route, and drove down Broad, made a right on Glenside, drove all the way down Monument, took a driving stroll through the streets of VCU (my university :)), and drove down Cary and through Shockoe Slip and across the Mayo Bridge.

But anyways, as I was driving down Cary, I passed the Jefferson Hotel, and saw that the left wing (from Cary) was covered in construction stuff (metal pipes and such) Does anyone know if they are doing renovation work or something? It really looked like they were renovating or restoring the outer facade of the left wing. I meant to take a pic with my iPhone, but I was driving and could only snap a big blur. <_< Can anyone tell me what's going on @ the Jeff? With work and the baby on the way I barely get the time to even drive down here into Downtown anymore....

RVA, you are certainly running the circle of life from the death of your beloved cat (my sympathies) to the birth of a new child (congratulations.)

The only thing I can suggest about The Jefferson Hotel is that they have been de-emphasizing TJ's restaurant at the southwest corner of the building. Last I heard TJ's is open for breakfast and lunch and that the adjacent lobby bar still serves drinks and dinner, but the main restaurant is closed in the evenings. LEMAIRE (on the Franklin Street side of the block-long building) has found new life since its redesign.

Was there scaffolding on the corner of Jefferson and Main Streets?

Like St. Louis, Richmond will stage a parade for the return of Iraqi veterans on Saturday, May 19th.

But it will traverse a north/south along The Boulevard from The Diamond to Byrd Park rather than the usual Broad Street route.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/local-news/2012/feb/18/tdmet01-parade-to-honor-iraq-war-vets-ar-1698261/

RVA, you are certainly running the circle of life from the death of your beloved cat (my sympathies) to the birth of a new child (congratulations.)

The only thing I can suggest about The Jefferson Hotel is that they have been de-emphasizing TJ's restaurant at the southwest corner of the building. Last I heard TJ's is open for breakfast and lunch and that the adjacent lobby bar still serves drinks and dinner, but the main restaurant is closed in the evenings. LEMAIRE (on the Franklin Street side of the block-long building) has found new life since its redesign.

Was there scaffolding on the corner of Jefferson and Main Streets?

Umm... yes, it looked like there was a bit of scaffolding onto the sides of Jefferson and Main. I couldn't exactly see the hotel up close (as I was on Cary) but that one particular spot did seem to have some. The entire left side of the building (from Cary) was covered in that construction stuff that covers facades of building fronts (like the Hippodrome when it was being restored or Monument Ave houses when they need to be restored).

From today's Times-Dispatch Metro Business section:

Is Sweet Frog poised to become America's biggest fro-yo chain? It sure seems like it. Visions such as a Chuck-E-Cheese-esque play land, TV shows, and international stores are all seen easily through the eyes of Derek Cha, as RTD chronicles his journey as a art supply merchant to hard times and restart in RVA, which ultimately led to the opening of the first Sweet Frog location in Short Pump next to Regal Cinemas. Derek's subliminal "Fully Rely On God" message has stole the hearts of thousands, and already has 50 locations in 4 or 5 states. He is also producing a gospel-rap CD, children's books, and Sweet Frog themed products, all of which is set to come out in stores sometime this year. And with all this recognition, it makes America wonder how much more fro-yo can it handle, specifically Richmond.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2012/feb/20/tdmbiz10-empire-building-sweet-frogs-founder-looks-ar-1701357/