Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Found this article from Military.com listing Richmond as the 3rd best place for military Retirees to launch a second career. Enjoy!

The 10 Best Places for Military Retirees to Launch Second Careers

A career in the military hones certain skill sets and talents, but where are the best places to take those talents once you're out of the military? To coin a phrase from real estate, it's all about location, location, location.

In that spirit, Military.com and USAA commissioned Sperling's BestPlaces to create a list of best places for military retirees to launch a second career, based on the best places in the nation for jobs that match military skills. Much like Lebron James "taking his talents to South Beach," here's the countdown of the best places for retirees to make use of their particular talents, from #10 to #1:

#10: Manchester, NH

Advantages for military retirees:

High number of defense contracts, low unemployment, no state tax on military retirement pay, low or no sales tax, affordable housing

Primary job sectors:

Engineering, defense, government

#9: Omaha, NE

Many military contract, low unemployment, affordable cost of living, local base amenities, high number of veteran-owned businesses

Primary job sectors:

Government, defense, medical

#8: Raleigh, NC

Temperate climate, affordable cost of living, many industries that utilize military skills, quality base amenities and VA healthcare close by

Primary job sectors:

Engineering, aviation, protective/emergency services

#7: Philadelphia, PA

High federal employment, defense contract awards and military skill jobs (despite higher unemployment rate than other areas), local access to VA health care and base privileges, no tax on military retirement pay

Primary job sectors:

Government, defense, medical

#6: Madison, WI

Low unemployment rate and overall affordability, low sales tax, no state tax on military retirement pay, lower housing costs, high number of federal jobs, local VA medical center

Primary job sectors:

Government, engineering, medical

#5: San Antonio, TX

High number of defense contracts and jobs that require military skills, convenient base amenities, local VA hospital, affordable standard of living, no state tax on military retirement pay

Primary job sectors:

Defense, government, aviation

#4: Austin, TX

High federal employment, large number of defense contracts and military skill-based jobs, affordable housing, no state tax on military retirement pay, comfortable climate

Primary job sectors:

Engineering, government, defense

#3: Richmond, VA

Large number of defense contractors, federal employment opportunities and military skill-based jobs, access to VA and base facilities, low sales tax

Primary job sectors:

Government, defense, protective/emergency services

#2: Norfolk, VA

Large number of federal jobs and opportunities in industries seeking military skills, large number of defense contract awards, access to base amenities and VA hospital, mild climate, affordable housing

Primary job sectors:

Defense, engineering, aviation

#1: Oklahoma City, OK

High number of jobs that require military skills, low unemployment rate, large number of veteran-owned businesses and federal jobs, many defense contracts, four military bases in the area, local VA medical center, affordable cost of living and housing

Primary job sectors:

Government, medical, aviation

For more details, as well as rankings of smaller metro areas, see the article 2011 Best Places for Military Retirement.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be no more next day mail delivery if proposed Postal Service changes become effective.

There is a rumor (although it is not mentioned in this story) that the mail processing center in Norfolk will be closed with all mail in Tidewater to be routed through the distribution center in Richmond. Such a move could mean a large loss of jobs in Hampton Roads.

From today's RTD

http://www2.timesdis...ail-ar-1513913/

There will be no more next day mail delivery if proposed Postal Service changes become effective.

There is a rumor (although it is not mentioned in this story) that the mail processing center in Norfolk will be closed with all mail in Tidewater to be routed through the distribution center in Richmond. Such a move could mean a large loss of jobs in Hampton Roads.

From today's RTD

http://www2.timesdis...ail-ar-1513913/

I have been noticing that my mail is no longer showing in the afternoon, but now well past 6pm. Considering the national mail service seems to be used for mainly junk-mail, at this point, I suppose I can live with later delivery.

A TV movie recently filmed in Richmond will air this Sunday, December 11th at 1PM on an obscure channel called ION.. It is titled A CHRISTMAS KISS.

FYI, 199 movies have been shot on locations in Greater Richmond over the last 25 years (well, there IS one shot in 1917 :shades: ) and a good number of them range in the "well known" category. There were some dogs, too, as well as a lot of student films.

Here's the list:

http://www.imdb.com/...Virginia,%20USA

I saw that movie called A CHRISTMAS KISS on the Ion Channel yesterday. It was a pretty light weight script, but Richmond never looked better. The city has stood in for Washington, New York and other places but this time it was Boston (in fact there were one or two exteriors of Newberry Street actually shot in Beantown) but at least 90% was filmed in modern day Richmond.

A beautifully decorated penthouse at one of the high rise condos along the river (I'm pretty sure it was Vistas on The James) served as a major set and a Victorian mansion that may have been on Monument Avenue or West Franklin Street played a big role. A residence in a Tobacco Row building served as the apartment of the lead character and her roommates. Also, lots of interior shots of The Carpenter Theatre and its stage as well as an exterior of the marquee.

Then there was a carriage ride supposedly through Boston Commons which, in reality, was filmed around The Boat Lake in Byrd Park and the colored lights on the fountain looked terrific.

If it's ever re-run, it's worth the two-hour viewing of Richmond.

• 4 weeks later...

As much as I love modeling my fantasies for Richmond on Sketchup, I always go on Google Earth to check if my city has been modeled. Barely. And when I went over to Norfolk, the entire city was modeled! :shok:

So check it out for yourself on Earth, or Earth mode in Google Maps..... I just find it interesting (and envying) as to how they got every single little building modeled and then I go to my city, and find barely any downtown buildings modeled.... I wish I could help model more, but my skills are less than flattering.... here's 2 (RVA) examples of how bad my skills are: :unsure: :unsure:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=f17aac2f2580283a949de1bf72c835ab&prevstart=0

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=d6e015809fac0004949de1bf72c835ab&ct=mdsa&prevstart=0

I used to dabble in sketch-up but haven't really touched it in a while. My main problem is that my laptop was so old (5 years is ancient in computer years) that it became frustrating trying to manipulate 3D models without serious lagging and hang-ups. I have a new much more powerful computer coming this week and I'd love to help model some.

I really didn't know where to post this, but

I read (I think it was an ad in Style or Richmond.com) an ad for the new Colonial Shooting Academy that is currently under construction in Henrico, that said it will open in February. If you go to this page of construction pictures, and see the second to last photo, you will see that the electric sign says "Opening February 1-" in red letters. It seems to be either a 6 or 8, meaning it will open a little over a month from now! The 16th or 18th is not far away at all. Also the photo gallery has some neat pictures of the construction from the inside. It seems like this will be a pretty high-gear facility. Can't wait! :yahoo:

http://www.colonialshooting.com/content/?id=92

Here is the official home page to the Colonial S.A. : http://www.colonialshooting.com/

I just read the RTD Business section, and on page D7, if you read the first of the 11 proposed ordinances, (ordinance no. 2011-211), it says to authorize special use of 535 1/2, 537, and 541 North 2nd Street, apparently for constructing a new building that could bring 31 dwelling units and other uses, making it a MIXED-USE building. It would be nice if we could see some renderings or something... I'm not really one to read city ordinances in the RTD, let alone anywhere, but I stumbled upon this and thought it would make for good news. Think about it: a new mixed use, multi-story building on 2nd Street! If you go to Google Street View and search 541 North 2nd Street, Richmond, VA (one of the properties), it has cones, and seems like a rather empty lot at the corner of 2nd and Leigh. I would really like some renderings of the building at least. It's nice to see that the city is taking care of the empty, or blighted lots. :thumbsup:

I just read the RTD Business section, and on page D7, if you read the first of the 11 proposed ordinances, (ordinance no. 2011-211), it says to authorize special use of 535 1/2, 537, and 541 North 2nd Street, apparently for constructing a new building that could bring 31 dwelling units and other uses, making it a MIXED-USE building. It would be nice if we could see some renderings or something... I'm not really one to read city ordinances in the RTD, let alone anywhere, but I stumbled upon this and thought it would make for good news. Think about it: a new mixed use, multi-story building on 2nd Street! If you go to Google Street View and search 541 North 2nd Street, Richmond, VA (one of the properties), it has cones, and seems like a rather empty lot at the corner of 2nd and Leigh. I would really like some renderings of the building at least. It's nice to see that the city is taking care of the empty, or blighted lots. :thumbsup:

Here you go, RVA. This was posted on January 5th in the Richmond Development thread by blake_p. I think I read subsequently that the City Planning commission and City Council have asked for architectural adjustments and additional parking spaces.

http://www2.timesdis...war-ar-1588094/

Here you go, RVA. This was posted on January 5th in the Richmond Development thread by blake_p. I think I read subsequently that the City Planning commission and City Council have asked for architectural adjustments and additional parking spaces.

http://www2.timesdis...war-ar-1588094/

:shok: :shok: THAT is the proposed building???

:yahoo: I wish we'd have more Eggleston Plazas in downtown.... I think a nice national chain restaurant would do quite nicely in a spot like that under the apartments.

Edit: Nevermind.... I forgot Croaker's Spot is coming. I think a nice modern space like that would very much fit the setting. I've always liked eating at that place...

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

I was searching pics of lovely RVA, and stumbled across a professional photographer. Though I am sure you all have seen these before, I know I was amazed to see such lovely photography. Go to "Galleries", and from there you may select any sort of picture gallery, though I recommend looking at Richmond, or specifically, "Downtown Richmond". They also have pics of houses, the Canal Walk, Capitol Square, and the James River. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. T.A. Wilson.

http://www.tawilsonphotography.com/

• Like 1