Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

For those of you who like TV crime stories with a local flavor:

Tomorrow (Sunday May 29th) at 10:00PM on I.D. Investigation Discovery a program called "On Case with Paula Zahn" will feature the story about the murder of a young VCU coed whose body was found in Gloucester County. It happened about 2 or 3 years ago and got lots of local and National press.

Edited by burt

The local press is full of stories about street mayhem, robberies, beatings, and drive-by shootings. Therefore, I was surprised to find these figures in the Homicide graphic in the on-line edition of the RTD:

Number of murders in the City of Richmond from January 1st thru May 29th, 2010 -- 20

Number of murders in the City of Richmond from January 1st thru May 29th, 2011 -- 13

Number of murders in the County of Chesterfield from January 1st thru May 29th, 2010 -- 4

Number of murders in the County of Chesterfield from January 1st thru May 29th, 2011 -- 2

Number of murders in the County of Henrico from January 1st thru May 29th, 2010 -- 9

Number of murders in the County of Henrico from January 1st thru May 29th, 2011 -- 3

The murder rates have dropped in all the above juristrictions: :thumbsup:

Seven less than this time last year in the City of Richmond.

Two less than this time last year in the County of Chesterfield.

Six less than this time last year in the County of Henrico.

Here is the Data Center Report from the RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...omicide-report/

Edited by burt

It appears that Google finally provided Richmond with the higher resolution satellite images when zooming in on Google Maps. Based on construction projects visible, I suspect that most of these are from around April-May of 2010 on a Saturday or Sunday (Shockoe Bottom may be a bit later).

It appears that Google finally provided Richmond with the higher resolution satellite images when zooming in on Google Maps. Based on construction projects visible, I suspect that most of these are from around April-May of 2010 on a Saturday or Sunday (Shockoe Bottom may be a bit later).

Sunday July 18, 2010.

AND! They have their own birdseye view which at some points was in the fall of last year because the trees had turned.

Edited by Cadeho

The New York Times has a story on the blue heron rookery in Richmond's James River.

Click on the word "rookery" in the body of the story to access videos of nature along the shores of The James in downtown Richmond.

Credit can be assigned to nature lover Phil Riggan in Richmond and to Dominion Resources for contributions to this story.

From today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/us/05richmond.html?_r=3&ref=us

There's a lot of news these days about replacement of Richmond's City Jail.

At present there are 1,400+ inmates in a non air-conditioned facility originally built to house less than 900. The new replacement will have about 1,050 beds. Is there a plausible explanation for building a new facility that will have fewer beds than the current jam-packed jail?

There's a lot of news these days about replacement of Richmond's City Jail.

At present there are 1,400+ inmates in a non air-conditioned facility originally built to house less than 900. The new replacement will have about 1,050 beds. Is there a plausible explanation for building a new facility that will have fewer beds than the current jam-packed jail?

WTVR reports that "Jones asked for a smaller facility in hopes of finding other placement for non-violent offenders and those suffering from mental illness." A rendering can be found in the below article.

http://www.wtvr.com/...0,2555627.story

Edited by Icetera

If you are not otherwise engaged tonight, Tuesday June 21st at 8PM, you might like to tune in to "America's Got Talent" on Channel 12 (NBC) to watch a local man compete. His name is Ken Townsend and he runs a Scotts Addition business called First Class Baloons. Mr. Townsend, who also provides costumed singers offering birthday wishes, will dance on the program according to this story from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/jun/21/TDMET02-richmonder-to-appear-tuesday-on-nbcs-ameri-ar-1121991/

So, where will Steven Spieberg, Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones hang their hats while filming LINCOLN in Richmond?

The city is rife with rumors but real estate agents are tight-lipped:

From the current Style Weeklhy:

http://www.styleweek...ent?oid=1522040

According to a reliable source, Spielberg has leased a penthouse at Rocketts Landing.

I bet a quarter there'll be lots of big-wheel entertaining at Michael Hall's BISTRO M AND WINE BAR opening next week at 210 Rock :) .

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

Hostels are in major cities across the world. They're generally referred to as "youth" hostels, but I don't believe there is an age limit.

Richmond will have its very own hostel in the former Otis Elevator Building downtown on North Second between East Main and East Franklin Streets.

City Council gave its approval last Monday and renovation work should get underway soon to convert the building. It will have 40 to 50 beds. Possibly, the roof will be "greened."

I believe the building was most recently used as a half-way house.

Click some of the highlighted sentences in the body of the story for facebook pictures.

From today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...ved-ar-1200779/

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...

Did you know that if you climb the big hill on Belle Island in downtown Richmond you'll come upon a rather large water-filled quarry?

I don't know wheter or not it is a permanent feature, but there is now a "zip" line that will whizz you (and especially your kids) across from one high cliff to lower ground on the other side.

Video from The RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...02589-vi-29777/

Burt, the pond is not up the hill... they suspended the zip line above the from the "broad rock". That would be scary to me especially if the line broke because of possible amoebas that're killing some recently. What is up on the hill are some mysterious ruins with a few steps... not sure what it is... it's been years since I've been to the island (it's gotten dangerous lately). I'd need to find my pictures to jog my memory.

Feeling my building in Midtown sway just before 2PM today was a bit disconcerting.  Having been thru numerous tremors when living in LA, I knew instantly it was a quake.  But it's not something one is prepared for in New York City.

It was reported as 5.9 on the Richter Scale in Richmond but TV is saying it was the equivalent of a 2 to 3 pointer here in Manhattan.  Although lots of tall buildings were evacuated little or no major damage or injuries have been reported.

Have talked to several relatives in Richmond and they have not heard of major disruptions.  One of my nieces works in a building at The Boulders off of Chippenham Pkwy and says evacuation was ordered because of damage on an upper floor.

It's been downgraded to 5.8 and we just had two aftershocks since 8PM, one a 4.2 and another a 2.8... now I felt the 4.2 and was like oh great not again... but I didn't feel the 2.8. It was scary though at 1:51p... glad I was near the exit to the building.