Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

There were flooded streets at the tip of Manhattan in Battery Park this morning. Irene arrived as a tropical storm, and there has been some terrible flooding in other boroughs and suburbs.  But generally, the storm was not as intense as had been expected.

Richmond registered top gusts of 71 mph at RIC and sustained winds of 51 mph throughout the Metro.  Rain totals ranged from 5 to 7 inches. There are lots and lots of downed trees according to reports and huge power failures.

The highest wind velocity in Virginia reached 83 mph at Gwynn's Island near Deltaville on The Chesapeake Bay.

The Lincoln film being directed by Steven Spielberg has set up another casting call.  The film, officially titled OFFICE SEEKERS, stars Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Field and begins shooting in Richmond next month.

The call for extras is Thursday, September 15th from 9AM 'til 6PM at the Greater Richmond Convention Center.  Enter from 3rd or 5th Streets.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweek...ent?oid=1607302

The Lincoln film being directed by Steven Spielberg has set up another casting call. The film, officially titled OFFICE SEEKERS, stars Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Field and begins shooting in Richmond next month. The call for extras is Thursday, September 15th from 9AM 'til 6PM at the Greater Richmond Convention Center. Enter from 3rd or 5th Streets. From the current Style Weekly: http://www.styleweek...ent?oid=1607302

I'm going to post pictures below of the Sept. 15th second casting call.

Edited by burt

Sitting here in NYCity at my computer on this gloomy Saturday afternoon, I decided to peruse the nightlife and entertainment activities in my old home town. It's enough to make this old man's jaw drop. Richmond was nothing like this -- EVER! :alc:

GWAR, that outrageous Greatful Dead/Phish like group is playing the National Theatre all day today with what they're calling GWAR B Q. It had been planned for Hadad Lake in Eastern Henrico, but the county refused to issue permits at the last minute. Since a performer named Michael Grimm had cancelled at The Nat, the theatre invited GWAR to relocate beginning at 2PM today.

The National has a week of near-sell outs beginning with GWAR today: FLOGGING MOLLY tomorrow; WIDESPREAD PANIC Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and FOSTER THE PEOPLE Thursday.

Then there is ongoing entertainment which brings out slews of pretty people to events such as Rvalution and RoundUp at THE HAT FACTORY, as well as ultra New York-like clubbing at OFF THE HOOKAH and THE TOBACCO COMPANY CLUB.

And, of course, many other bars and clubs of all varieties in The Shockoes (Slip and Bottom), the VCU area, The Fan and Carytown...even in the burbs.

There are all kinds of websites and blogs that have educated me about Richmond's new swinging lifestyles. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a passing observation:

That line at the bottom left of this forum's home page that reads "x user(s) are browsing this forum" perplexes me. It most frequently records "1 user" or ocassionally 2 or 3 everytime I check it.

Beginning at noon on Thursday 9/22/11, I jotted down on a piece of paper the number of visitors recorded beside 16 of Richmond's most popular topics. Then, I did the same thing this morning, Monday at 10AM, 9/26/11.

2,897 had visited those 16 topics in the four intervening days. That would average out to more than 700 per day.

I think that "x user(s) are browsing this forum" feature is broken.

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...

It's obvious that I do most of the posting on this Richmond forum. But it has gotten so mechanically difficult to do so that I'm going to take a frustration break and just lurk for a while.

I've had my lurking break and am trying again. Still having poroblems that I don't (and never will) understand. Of the three attempt today that have suceeded, there are three that have not.

Hopefully it's fixable, Burt. Don't be gone too long, I may only lurk lately but I still enjoy reading your posts and seeing you on the board!

Thanks, Tommy. The old computer seems to be better today. Maybe it got a good night's sleep. :)

It's good to see your return to the fold, as well as StevenRocks whom I consider our retail expert.

Steven Spielberg has been shooting some scenes of his Lincoln movie in the State Office Building on 9th at Grace Streets directly across from The State Capitol.

The building pictured was formerly The Richmond Hotel before being purchased for office space by The State of Virginia.

From Richmond biz sense:

http://www.richmondb...lincolnset1.jpg

PS: When Tom Hanks, as producer, was in Richmond filming the miniseries about John Adams, an exterior street set was constructed in the Mechanicsville area just northeast of the city. Spielberg's unit is building sets in the same area.

The Eastern Baseball League management is getting a bit antsy about new stadium plans for Richmond, but that did not prevent them from holding a "Squirrel-o-ween" party at the Diamond.

Incidentally, the team's mascot, Nutzy, was invited to St Louis during the World Series to appear in costume and possibly make acquaintance with real squirrels that were scampering across the pitching mound. :)

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...21480-vi-31886/

Here are a few pictures of the Lincoln cast and crew on locations near Capitol Square.

From Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...ctures/gallery/

Filming will wrap at the state capitol about mid-November and move to Monument Avenue which will be mulched over for a few days of shooting.

Rumor is that Spielberg will not release the film until after the next presidential election so as not to be criticized for political interference.

Meanwhile word has it that Daniel Day-Lewis as always is absorbed in his role-playing. While taking coffee during breaks it is brought to him in a tin cup rather than a styrofoam container.

Edited by burt

Richmond dot com has a feature called Richmond Neighborhoods.

Check out this piece about "The Boulevard."

PS: t's not mentioned in the story, but when I was a kid some locals used to call it "Unter den Linden" because, like a famous thoroughfare in Berlin, the broad avenue in Richmond was lined with linden trees.

http://www2.richmond...ard-ar-1435374/

A study developed by the USAA financial services and Military dot com claims (1) Oklahoma City, (2) Norfolk and (3)

Richmond are the best areas in the country for retiring military personnel to launch a second career.

From today's RTD (with a great skyline picture of Richmond:)

http://www2.timesdis...-ca-ar-1445275/

Edited by burt

Celebrity watchers may be able to recognize Steven Spielberg in this video from today's Richmond dot com.

He is leaving the Capitol building in downtown Richmond.

I've never met Steven, but I knew his Mom when I lived on the west coast in the early '80's. She ran a neat little tearoom-like spot in West Los Angeles.

http://www2.richmond.com/entertainment/top-features/2011/nov/09/1/steven-spielberg-spotting-36903-vi-32192/