Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Even though all my life I have lived, loved, and supported RVA all I could, I have never in my life attended any event linked to First Fridays. But, finally tonight, that will end, as the VMFA will play host to a Bollywood dance party, which will be run by DJ Carlito, a popular RVA native DJ who loves to bring an Indian flair to all of his dance parties. I'm sure it will be a special event for me, and I can immediately see several pros to attending:

1. I'm Indian, so maybe a couple of my Desi buddies will show up as well... :rofl:

2. It will be my First Fridays event, so I'm really excited. :camera:

3. I can (and will) use it as an excuse to go see MUMMY: SECRETS OF THE TOMB and ELVIS: AT 21 before they both end. :D

4. Pictures, pictures, pictures! (I'm a huge photography nerd :camera:, and most likely will post to Flickr or something)

So here's to what I hope will be a successful and strong First Fridays! :alc:

Even though all my life I have lived, loved, and supported RVA all I could, I have never in my life attended any event linked to First Fridays. But, finally tonight, that will end, as the VMFA will play host to a Bollywood dance party, which will be run by DJ Carlito, a popular RVA native DJ who loves to bring an Indian flair to all of his dance parties. I'm sure it will be a special event for me, and I can immediately see several pros to attending:

1. I'm Indian, so maybe a couple of my Desi buddies will show up as well... :rofl:

2. It will be my First Fridays event, so I'm really excited. :camera:

3. I can (and will) use it as an excuse to go see MUMMY: SECRETS OF THE TOMB and ELVIS: AT 21 before they both end. :D

4. Pictures, pictures, pictures! (I'm a huge photography nerd :camera:, and most likely will post to Flickr or something)

So here's to what I hope will be a successful and strong First Fridays! :alc:

Okay, so now if you are paying your attention, you'd probably realize it's raining DOGS and CATS.... I really want to go to VMFA, but after watching CBS6 (live right now) I'm sort of reconsidering my decision.... also, as a weather update: I've counted 15 lightning strikes in the past 5 minutes, just west of Metro Richmond is a flood watch, and I may be crazy, but I swear on my LIFE that I saw a hailstone plummet into my backyard....

Well, folks, at around 1:27 today, my beautiful wife had gone into labor, and gave birth to my brand new beautiful baby girl. As per my wish, my precious is a St. Mary's baby. My wife is aware of your blessings, and on behalf of my wife, who is still at the hospital with the baby, I would like to thank you all for your blessings as we go through such a happy occasion, and as we cherish it delightfully to our hearts, it is a memory I would like to share with you all. Thank you all so much :hi:

Also, since we know it is a girl, we are in the process of naming the baby. As I hold my city as dear to me as my wife and child, I have come with several names that sort of link up with Richmond. One that instantly came up was "Grace" (obviously after the street), or "Carrie" (I bet you may guess what that symbolizes :rolleyes: ).... and so, if you all may give suggestions, I will see all the results at 7:00 tonight, and will inform you immediately on which name we have seen fit. More than likely I will choose Grace or Carrie/Cary, but still, your suggestions are mightily appreciated. Thank you guys! :)

Well, folks, at around 1:27 today, my beautiful wife had gone into labor, and gave birth to my brand new beautiful baby girl. As per my wish, my precious is a St. Mary's baby. My wife is aware of your blessings, and on behalf of my wife, who is still at the hospital with the baby, I would like to thank you all for your blessings as we go through such a happy occasion, and as we cherish it delightfully to our hearts, it is a memory I would like to share with you all. Thank you all so much :hi:

Also, since we know it is a girl, we are in the process of naming the baby. As I hold my city as dear to me as my wife and child, I have come with several names that sort of link up with Richmond. One that instantly came up was "Grace" (obviously after the street), or "Carrie" (I bet you may guess what that symbolizes :rolleyes: ).... and so, if you all may give suggestions, I will see all the results at 7:00 tonight, and will inform you immediately on which name we have seen fit. More than likely I will choose Grace or Carrie/Cary, but still, your suggestions are mightily appreciated. Thank you guys! :)

Congratulations! :yahoo:

How about a cigar?

Carrie is nice -- I like that.

Well, everyone, after the nurses finally let my wife return home with the baby, I discussed the deliberate topic about the name and how we would need a new name, something that reminded us of the city we had come to raise our child in and love, and after reading all of your suggestions, or just plain support for my ideas, we had finally decided on one name that seemed perfect for such a wonderful little girl. :hi:

We have decided to name her Carrie. Of course we purposely slipped the "y" with the "ie", but when she is old enough to learn the history of the city and her namesake, I will tell her what her name is for. But for now, we will take her to Carytown and buy her a load of new baby clothes and toys instead of driving through all the confusion and traffic at Regency Square or VCC. It benefits the city, and saves the frustration of finding a parking space. :rofl:

Once again, both my wife and I would like to thank all of you for your support, wishes, and blessings as we go through and cherish such a magical moment, one that we will hold dearly to our hearts forever, and we are very happy we were able to share it with you all. This is RVA, and goodnight. :good:

P.S. Go, Rams, GO! just wanted to clear that up. :D Wishing them the best in the CAA finals, which hopefully I can snag tickets for @ the box office before they sell out.

haha its funny that we are talking about baby names associated with streets in Richmond. If I am right both my middle name and last name have streets in Richmond. My middle name is Franklin (Franklin Street) and my last name is Perry (Perry Street) so that's kinda interesting talking about that and I hadn't really thought about my middle and last name being associated with streets in Richmond but now that I think about it that seems pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The City granted a permit to a group called ART 180 to display 8' tall student self portraits along Monument Avenue until May 2nd. But due to next week's Easter on Parade, the City has reneged and wants the art dismantled by next Friday.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/apr/01/city-tells-art-group-end-monument-exhibit-friday-ar-1810819/

Well, Carrie turned 1, today! :thumbsup:

We celebrated by (after taking the day off) going as a family to her namesake place, eating breakfast at Basilis. Then we went to Maymont Park and strolled along my beautiful baby daughter in a stroller, and came back to Carytown, and ate Can Can (first time going there, AMAZING!!), ate dessert at Sweet Frog, and went down to Belle Isle, glimpsing at the James and taking a hike alongside the downtown skyline. Just came back home in G-Allen, had a lot of fun! It was a Richmond-packed day. :fun:

Nearly 200 people donated more than $20,000 to fund a trip to New York's Heritage Festival for the Armstrong High School choir. :good:

I thought the school was in Richmond, but according to Michael Paul Williams it is just across the border in eastern Henrico County.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/flair/2012/apr/06/tdmet01-michael-paul-williams-armstrong-high-choir-ar-1822630/

It looks as if Richmond's Metropolitan Statistical population gained 8,984 people between April 1, 2010 and July 1, 2011. In April 2010, the population was 1,258,257 and it increased to an estimated 1,269,380 by July 1, 2011.

Also, during that period, it went from the 43rd largest in the nation to #44.

I wonder what the gain or loss is since July 1 of 2011?

http://www.census.gov/popest/data/metro/totals/2011/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

There have been a lot of killings in April throughout the Metro area, but according to the RTD"s Homicide Report, the total so far this year (from January 1 thru April 23) is 3 less than in the same period last year.

The figures are:

Chesterfield -- 4 in 2012 ---- 3 in 2011

Richmond --- 10 in 2012 -- 13 in 2011.

Henrico -------- 3 in 2012 ---- 4 in 2011

Totals thus far in the three jurisdictions: 17 in 2012 -- 20 in 2011.

There have been a lot of killings in April throughout the Metro area, but according to the RTD"s Homicide Report, the total so far this year (from January 1 thru April 23) is 3 less than in the same period last year.

The figures are:

Chesterfield -- 4 in 2012 ---- 3 in 2011

Richmond --- 10 in 2012 -- 13 in 2011.

Henrico -------- 3 in 2012 ---- 4 in 2011

Totals thus far in the three jurisdictions: 17 in 2012 -- 20 in 2011.

NOTE: One more killing in Chesterfield was recorded in today's RTD, bringing Chesterfield's murder total to 5 for this year.

The new One World Trade Center at Ground Zero surpassed the Empire State as the tallest building in New York City yesterday.

When completed, it will top out at 1776 feet.

It was all over TV last night, but in case you missed the news, here's a report from National Public Radio.

It's a very handsome building, IMO.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/04/30/151681584/1-world-trade-center-set-to-claim-spot-atop-nycs-skyline-today

Anyone seen Baskervill's new website?

http://baskervill.com/

Not really exciting news, but it is their 115th anniversary, and besides, the multi-family section of their portfolio is quite interesting: it includes several different developments that I haven't seen on Baskervill's old website (or other websites) including "Richmond on the James" or even the Reynolds North parcel. I'm still going through all of their projects.... it is actually pretty interesting....

http://baskervill.com/portfolio/multi-family-housing

Anyone seen Baskervill's new website?

http://baskervill.com/

Not really exciting news, but it is their 115th anniversary, and besides, the multi-family section of their portfolio is quite interesting: it includes several different developments that I haven't seen on Baskervill's old website (or other websites) including "Richmond on the James" or even the Reynolds North parcel. I'm still going through all of their projects.... it is actually pretty interesting....

http://baskervill.co...-family-housing

I KNEW that "RAMZ" meant it was probably located in Richmond! Check this out!!

http://baskervill.com/portfolio/multi-family-housing/item/274-ramz-tower

Architects and history lovers alike may now enjoy a newly christened statue of the Virginia State Capitol's star architect Thomas Jefferson in the underground annex of the building. Although it is a little delayed (over 220 years since the building was finished!), it is still a nice little tribute to one of America's most famous people.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/virginia-politics/2012/may/04/tdmet01-homage-to-greatness-ar-1889895/