Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

• 3 weeks later...

This is a trailer (we used to call a preview in the old days) of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN starring Daniel Day-Lewis.

It was filmed almost entirely in Richmond and Petersburg last fall. It will be released around November 16th with, perhaps, a pre-screening in Richmond.

http://wtvr.com/2012...ailer-released/

Richmond gets no special treatment even though LINCOLN was filmed almost in its entirety in the area. It will open locally on November 16th in a general release.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/oct/11/richmond-date-set-for-lincoln-opening-ar-2275826/.

Some major markets will see it a week earlier on November 9th.

Edited by burt

Thanks, Oaktown, for posting the Terry Conway commentary on Richmond. I think it's quite good and is one of many profiles of the city in the National press.

I picked up a copy of Outside Magazine with a picture of Richmond on its cover and read about their selection of Richmond as The Best Outdoor River City in America.

Also, Dance Magazine has Maggie Small on its cover. She is a member of The Richmond Ballet which performed this summer in a theatre at The Royal Opera House in London.

VMFA has climbed into a high bracket among art museums since its expanion. The Dale Chihuly glass art exhibition opens this Saturday.

And VCU's Institute of Contmporary Art designed by architect Steven Holl will be breaking ground soon at Belvidere and Broad

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another subject:

I read today in the RTD that an electric car charging station has opened at The Omni Hotel in Shockoe Slip. It cost $2,000 to install and has quickly paid for itself.

There are about 9 others across the area.

:shok: Is Belle Island more historic than we think?

Picture of the Day from RVANews:

http://rvanews.com/f...tonehenge/71174

That is neat and cute at the same time.

I went to Belle Isle about a month ago, right as summer approached it's (real) end, and it was a beautiful, warm, nice day, and I finally got out on the rocks, lied there, and enjoyed the view. Belle Isle is a very scenic place for people watching :P

After so much regional-UNcooperation, Henrico finally comes on RVA's side and promises help and support for Richmond 2015 ;)

http://www2.timesdis...cli-ar-2306492/

Now, if we could just get Chesterfield :whistling:

From what I learned from government officials is that this whole deal was not initiated correctly. It appears that Richmond committed to doing this (knowing they would need the help of the counties if they won the bid), without consulting with the counties first to see if they would help contribute to the event. Instead, Richmond won the bid and then went to the counties to force their hand to commit a lot of money (money,which they don't have...or have much of) toward this event. You can't do that without being rude and very presumptuous! No wonder the counties aren't jumping onboard with this! Would you do this to your neighbor? I don't think so! This, therefore, would explain why the counties are so slow to support Richmond on this. Despite it all, I think that in the end the counties will join in, but somewhat reluctantly, like Henrico just did...but, unfortunately, at the expense of creating some "bad blood." No wonder the counties and city can't get along. If these sorts "deals" are struck, it shows a lot of irresponsibility on the part of the City.

Tomorrow (Friday, October 26th) the first of several visits by the cruise ship called THE YORKTOWN will dock at Richmond's Intermediate Terminal. Passengers will disembark and take a bus tour around historic sites.

THE FLATHEAD, a 75 foot yacht is also at that dock and serves lunch. If you're near the waterfront tomorrow you'll have the rare opportunity to see maritime activity in the city.

Clikck 'SHIP' on the website and see a photo of THE YORKTOWN:

http://www.traveldyn...&voyagename=The

And here's a picture of FLATHEAD's where you can have lunch:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/images/FlatheadMAIN.jpg:

Edited by burt

Bad News:

According to the shipping company office here in New York, THE YORKTOWN will not arrive at Richmond's Intermediate Terminal today. The source says it is due to some ship malfunction and that the pending storm is not the reason for change in itinerary.

However,THE YORKTOWN is still on schedule to visit Richmond next Thursday, November 1st as well as on future dates.

It's 3PM up here in Manhattan and the storm is getting wilder by the minute.

Battery Park was breached by the Hudson River surge earlier during a high tide and is expected to be even more flooded when Sandy comes ashore near Atlantic City about 6PM followed by high tide (plus full moon) at 8PM in NYC. Despite sandbagging and boarding, salt water has been (and will be) pouring into subway entrances along Battery Park and Lower Manhattan.

The Governor Carey Tunnel connecting the tip of Manhattan and Brooklyn as well as the Holland Tunnel between Canal Street and New Jersey have both been closed.

All rail service (including commuter and Amtrak) has been suspended as well as all subway and bus service in all boroughs.

One of the scariest sights is a crane on a new 75-story condo near Carnegie Hall (on West 57th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues.) It was hit just minutes ago by a huge wind gust and is dangling dangerously above 57th.

Power is still on in my midtown area.

It's now just past 9:30PM and flooding in New York is approaching disaster A 14+ foot surge in the Hudson has inundated lower Manhattan. Water is pouring in torrents along the West Side Highway into the Battery Tunnel.. The East River has overflowed its banks and is 3 feet deep along East 14th Street between the river and 1St Avenue

West 23rd Street is a river from 9th Avenue to The Hudson, and even West 42nd Street is flooded near the river.

Power is out, essentially, south of 39th Street to The Battery.

And another surge is anticipated with the high tide tomorrow morning.

Long Island Sound is flooding the North Shore of the Island as well as cities in Connecticut and Westchester County.

Things are not good.

Edited by burt

Bad News:

According to the shipping company office here in New York, THE YORKTOWN will not arrive at Richmond's Intermediate Terminal today. The source says it is due to some ship malfunction and that the pending storm is not the reason for change in itinerary.

However,THE YORKTOWN is still on schedule to visit Richmond next Thursday, November 1st as well as on future dates.

A story in today's Richmond dot com confirms that THE YORKTOWN, which did not make it up the James last week, will tie up tomorrow (Thursday 11/01)at Richmond's Intermediate Terminal.

I'm sort of surprised at this news since one might suspect considerable flotsam could be flowing in The James as a result of Sandy's inclement weather in Virginia's mountains.

http://www2.richmond...ond-ar-2313946/

PS: The dock is just down stream from the white silos in the picture. A portion of Rocketts Landing Marina is in the foreground right.

Edited by burt

No surprise.

THE YORKTOWN is once agan cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy damage at some of the ship's scheduled ports of call.

The next scheduled arrival in Richmond is May of 2013.

Update from today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...ond-ar-2313946/

That's sad....:(

But more importantly, you are right in NYC, burt! Seeing the news lately, some of the damage is pretty painful to watch! And the transit systems around there! Hope you guys are alright up there! I'm actually supposed to come up to that general metro area (Scotch Plains, NJ, specifically) for celebration of an Indian holiday Diwali on the weekend of Fri. Nov 9 with relatives that live up there, so hoping everything gets better. :(

Looking forward to 2013 then, i guess.... would be nice to see some cruise ships up here for once ;)......

RVA, Scotch Plains is inland -- close to Plainfield, NJ -- and as far as I can tell did not suffer much damage.

But the situation in New York City and along the Jersey coast is dire. Governor Christy and President Obama toured the area yesterday in a show of mutual support and FEMA is on the scene.

Governor Cuomo and Mayor Bloomberg are displaying great leadership in New York as well as Governor Malloy in Connecticut.

By the time of your visit conditions should be much improved.

Here's another article I came across about Richmond. Its fairly typical with primary focus on Richmond's role in the Civil War. It does compliment the modern city and what is most interesting is the article is from an international newspaper written in 19 languages.

http://www.theepocht...ond-310871.html

Good find, Oaktown.

I suppose the upcoming cyclist championships will keep Richmond in the news through the 2015 event.

LINCOLN opens November 19th, but there will be a special premier Friday, November 16th at Richmond's elaborate Byrd Theatre. However, it is for actors and crew who worked on the film and, if I understand correctly, is not open to the public. Everyone else will have to wait for general release on the 19th -- probably in a saturation booking on local cinema screens.

Good find, Oaktown.

I suppose the upcoming cyclist championships will keep Richmond in the news through the 2015 event.

LINCOLN opens November 19th, but there will be a special premier Friday, November 16th at Richmond's elaborate Byrd Theatre. However, it is for actors and crew who worked on the film and, if I understand correctly, is not open to the public. Everyone else will have to wait for general release on the 19th -- probably in a saturation booking on local cinema screens.

Rumors are rampant about private screenings of LINCOLN in Richmond. One is that it was shown somewhere in the city last night for a select group.

Richmond dot com reveals today that it has an agreement with the luxurious CineBistro at Stony Point Fashion Park to premier the film beginning November 16th.

http://www2.richmond...tro-ar-2338813/

PS: While it's certain Spielberg will not be in town for a Richmond premier (he'll be attending the Los Angeles premier on the same night), the director will appear on the Landmark Theatre stage in January as a participant in a Richmond Forum program.

Edited by burt