GSA/Federal Courts Expansion issue

vdogg

It could be a typo.... but the GAO basically tries to ensure that the U.S. government is accountable to the people, and that includes the expenditures of taxpayer dollars.... which could also be a factor here. Federal bureaucracy makes my head hurt, but I'd guess that the GSA may need approval or oversight from the GAO for constructing new things... So maybe Norfolk did bypass the GSA.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be a typo.... but the GAO basically tries to ensure that the U.S. government is accountable to the people, and that includes the expenditures of taxpayer dollars.... which could also be a factor here. Federal bureaucracy makes my head hurt, but I'd guess that the GSA may need approval or oversight from the GAO for constructing new things... So maybe Norfolk did bypass the GSA.

I am pretty certain, as a former auditor with GAO from 1975-1981, that WTKR got it wrong.

GSA is the federal government landlord, and the Courthouse Expansion is their deal alone.

GAO is the audit agency of Congress, and performs reviews and studies required by law, at the request of Congress, or based on their own ideas of where investigation is needed.

GAO, for many years, stood for the General Accounting Office.

In 2004, it's name was changed to the Government Accountability Office.

Looks like this isn't a done deal quite yet

Damn TV news jumping to conclusions and getting our hopes up.

That's the second time tv news has jumped the gun but honestly they have quotes from GSA officials that the pilot does not so in this case the tv article may be more accurate. I'm very hopeful about this. The ones who are worried about it "being disruptive to courthouse proceedings" need to just suck it up and worry a little more about how disruptive it is to the city and peoples lives if the other option goes through.

The tower option may be disruptive to court proceedings, but those types of obsticles are overcome all the time.

Now there should be no concern about cost with the tower option. It may cost more in total contruction costs, but there is very little possibility of lawsuits. Whereas, building any of the other options might spur suits of property owners or even the city. In turn, adding to the total cost with lawyer fees and such.

Historical groups shouldn't be concerned because the tower will be added to the existing structure's courtyard. The original building will not be altered.

From the GSA, Eminent good sense

The indignant reaction to so much waste and highhandedness appears to have had a positive effect.

Faced with so much resistance, the GSA went back to the drawing board and has proposed a seven-story tower on top of the existing courthouse. It would rise from the courtyard in the middle of the old building. Instead of reaching out for the land of others, it can reach up to take what's available for free.

• 1 month later...

The tower option may be disruptive to court proceedings, but those types of obsticles are overcome all the time.

Now there should be no concern about cost with the tower option. It may cost more in total contruction costs, but there is very little possibility of lawsuits. Whereas, building any of the other options might spur suits of property owners or even the city. In turn, adding to the total cost with lawyer fees and such.

Historical groups shouldn't be concerned because the tower will be added to the existing structure's courtyard. The original building will not be altered.

I recently ran across the Miami federal Courts building. Amazing! Makes you wonder why our folks think the tower option would be disruptive considering other cities build their courts in this fashion all the time. Also makes you wonder how they got so much federal funding for such an amazing building. I know our cities federal case load is nothing in comparison but jeez, a lot of tax payer dollars were spent for this.

check out the design firm. click on "projects" then "view project list" and then "United States Federal Courthouse". There are 15 nice pics.

http://www.arquitectonica.com/

• 2 months later...

This is great news. Maybe they can get this thing built before my retirement party. Right now, the party is tentatively scheduled for December 2042.

:rofl: To me this is still not concrete enough. I've heard city officials say alot of things and then become surprised by the opposite happening. I'm not going to celebrate till I see a more concrete confession of the choice from the GSA themselves. They haven't been approved for any federal money yet so to say which design they will go with doesn't matter.

:rofl: To me this is still not concrete enough. I've heard city officials say alot of things and then become surprised by the opposite happening. I'm not going to celebrate till I see a more concrete confession of the choice from the GSA themselves. They haven't been approved for any federal money yet so to say which design they will go with doesn't matter.

Well either way in my book this is a great milestone accomplished. I just knew they were going to expand out not up, but I'm glad it's up. I guess they saw the light.

Well either way in my book this is a great milestone accomplished. I just knew they were going to expand out not up, but I'm glad it's up. I guess they saw the light.

The reason that i said that is the GSA has not said anything about this. I will wait to get excited once they admit they are going up and not some hear say! When they get the funds and then say we are going up is when I will be happy. They have gone back and forth saying they were going to do this and start doing the opposite.

That is great news and will look cool with the old building as a base. Hopefully it will be a tower with alot of glass and exposed steel. Could really add to that area.

So I am guessing the date for this project to begin will be two days after Virginia Beach and Norfolk merge, or their 30 year plan expires and they have to write up a new 30 year plan. You know, which ever one comes first.

Archived