GSA/Federal Courts Expansion issue

vdogg

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I see someone in GSA finally figured out how to pull their head out of their ass and clean the crap out of their ears......that in its self is good news.

Like I said, Norfolk is starting to act more like the big city it is.

Thats a proposal and doesn't mean they will choose the one with the tower on top of the existing building. Shoot by the time they make their minds up the prices will probably double again. :sick:

Makes sense, besides when fall gets here their ears will probably get cold and will need to look for a warm place to put them, then we will back to the same crap as before.

Honestly this tower idea makes alot of sense and it does look very respectful to the historic architecture. I would love to see them sign off on this idea by summer and begin construction by next spring, but we don't live in a perfect world and the federal governement is run by idiots, so I don't see that dream happening.

The tower option looks like a sure winner. A stylish art-deco spire could add a lot to the presence of the new central tower and help to unify it with the Granby Tower next door. The effect could be stunning. What do you think?

I like it but worry that this would be a last resort effort by the GSA. This should be on the top of their list. No pun intented :P

My friend at Norfolk Planning says he "fully expects" Norfolk will support the Tower expansion of the Courthouse. He cites the facts that people and businesses won't have to move and that streets won't lose their right-of-ways as good reasons for the Tower expansion.

:)

:yahoo: While I wish to start jumping for joy now I urge vigilance. The GSA didn't listen to Norfolk the first time, why would they start now? I believe the only reason we made out as well as we did was due to heavy congressional pressure. Hopefully that same pressure will be applied for the tower annex.

But doesn't GSA want the courthouse to stay in Norfolk? if so, i believe they will do what the city thinks is the most productive and the most economical. (not to mention what looks best for the skyline). plus, to the government...money is no object

• 2 weeks later...

Courthouse gets another option :thumbsup:

Why go north, south, east or west when you can go up?

The ongoing saga of the proposed expansion of the Hoffman Federal Courthouse in downtown Norfolk got a little more interesting when the U.S. General Services Administration announced another alternative for the courthouse annex.

In a draft of the environmental assessment study released April 21, the GSA proposed what it called the tower alternative, a seven-story, $166 million tower that would rise out of the existing courthouse building. The study is the first step in evaluating the social, economic and environmental impacts of five alternatives.

Partly because of suggestions from the public, the GSA went back and evaluated the prospect of a tower. John Morrell, project manager from the GSA

Probably the best idea I have heard yet. I hope it happens and soon. Seven stories would actually be fairly tall.

Remember its 7 stories ON TOP of the building already there (4 stories) plus two mechanical floors, so it would be 13 stories and about 260 feet tall.

That's great! Hopefully it clears all approval hurdles without much touble. Anyhow, it's not like there's any funding to get this project started anytime soon, so they'll have plenty of time to work out the details.

Holy Crap, Norfolk won! :w00t: I was nervous given the GSAs track record in other cities in our predicament but it looks as though they have finally learned from 50+ years of mistakes and listened to the people in the community. This is the best of all possible outcomes and I am elated that the GSA has chosen this option. :yahoo:

What puzzles me is that is the only news station to have that posted. I would have thought that all of them would have jumped on this.

That's not unusual. WTKR was also the first to acknowledge the Westin would be the tallest in the state, months before any other news organization acknowledged it. Plus, the pilots article will likely be far more in depth and therefore take longer to compile. We should see another article shortly.

edit: Why do they keep calling the GSA the GAO?

I was wondering the same thing when I was reading the article. Maybe they are calling them the General Admin. Office.

I believe they are referring to the Government Accountablitiy Organization. Used to keep government in check.

Archived