ODU Development

rusthebuss

That was some game... I was on my feet, cheering for VCU, something I thought I would never do! The whole ODU/Drexel thing is really close, but I'm gonna stick with my school and hope that ODU gets the bid. I think ODU has more goin' for it than Drexel. On other related ODU sports news, Coach Wilder has selected his first two assistants... Story

Virtually every major sports source (ESPN, USA Today, CBS Sports, and others) are saying ODU is in. Even the commentator on ESPN last night said CAA would definitely get 2 teams. ODU will get the at-large bid over Drexel based on nearly every possible stat, including the most important ones--head to head (and margin of victory), regular season standings, RPI, overall SOS, top 10 road win, games against ranked teams and conference champs, etc.

Edited by Sky06

Hopefully Butler's loss tonight does not have too much of an adverse effect on ODU's chances...

ODU's still on the bubble, but they're head and shoulders above Drexel and Hofstra, hofstra's out, Drexel is on the bubble, but ODU will get the nod before Drexel since they swept them this season. If the CAA gets two bids like 'most' analysts are predicting, it's VCU and ODU. Fingers crossed though.

ODU's still on the bubble, but they're head and shoulders above Drexel and Hofstra, hofstra's out, Drexel is on the bubble, but ODU will get the nod before Drexel since they swept them this season. If the CAA gets two bids like 'most' analysts are predicting, it's VCU and ODU. Fingers crossed though.

This likely hurts Drexel, not us. No more upsets!

ODU got an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament!!!! We will play Butler in Buffalo, NY on Thursday. :w00t: :w00t: :alc:

Ummm, wait a minute... according to a couple of experts in the UP Norfolk forum, ODU is a lock for the NIT :P

I'm glad they were wrong, but ODU's selection did go down to the wire.

Ummm, wait a minute... according to a couple of experts in the UP Norfolk forum, ODU is a lock for the NIT :P

I'm glad they were wrong, but ODU's selection did go down to the wire.

I think ODU can thank George Mason's run last year for their bid. It would have been very hard for the committee to explain limiting the CAA to it's historically normal one bid after what George Mason did last year. There is good basketball being played in the CAA, and now ODU get's their chance to prove it.

Doesn't make folks at places like Syracuse and Florida State feel better, but I think it helps the overall interest in the tournament when you have a few more non-BCS schools in the mix.

I think ODU can thank George Mason's run last year for their bid. It would have been very hard for the committee to explain limiting the CAA to it's historically normal one bid after what George Mason did last year. There is good basketball being played in the CAA, and now ODU get's their chance to prove it.

Doesn't make folks at places like Syracuse and Florida State feel better, but I think it helps the overall interest in the tournament when you have a few more non-BCS schools in the mix.

Thank goodness ODU got mentioned early in the broadcast. I didn't want to wait the whole hour wondering it we got in.

It will be tough. More than likely they are going to have to beat a very tough Maryland squad to get there, unless someone else upsets Maryland.

That someone else would have to be Davidson... even if we have to face the Terps, I still think we have a decent shot to advance. Now Florida on the other hand... :cry:

ODU is in serious contentiion to make the Sweet 16, most analysts are saying; for one, Butler peaked in November, their star play averaged 30+ minutes a game, and now he's exhausted, and it shows in his FG%. If ODU can beat Butler on the boards, they should take it. Maryland is an overrated 4, though talent rich, they're inconsistent, NC State dispatched them with no trouble in the ACC tournament.

My only concern right now is ODU coming out how they did in the CAA tournament, flat, cold. Two years ago they pushed Michigan State to the limit, but they can't play like they did against Towson and GMU if they're gonna make a splash.

Edited by spiker3

GAME TIME in 20 MINUTES on CBS!!!

[/quote

Oooops! Guess I was wrong. They (CBS) cut in every now and then to ODU/Butler and other games, but they airing the Georgetown/Belmont game from Winston Salem at the moment.

PS: A few minutes ago, ODU was winning 14 to 12.

Edited by burt