ODU Development

rusthebuss

Disgusting display of defense for ODU coming out in the second half. ODU was controlling the tempo and had the lead, then opened the arc up and Butler took advantage, went on a 12-0 run and ODU was toast from there. It was tight until mid-way through the second half, so...ah well

• 2 weeks later...

It's awesome to see my alma mater grow and improve like this and at such a rapid pace! With football coming to ODU that also means a marching band (which they don't have yet) and expanded and improved performing arts facilities! I know some are in the works and a new performing arts hall, rehearsal, and practice space. It will be going in on the parking lot on Elkhorn across from the Diehn Fine and Performing Arts building. I'd love to apply for the percussion instructor position if/when one becomes available. :)

Metalman

It's awesome to see my alma mater grow and improve like this and at such a rapid pace! With football coming to ODU that also means a marching band (which they don't have yet)

The already approved 60 scholarships.

It will be going in on the parking lot on Elkhorn across from the Diehn Fine and Performing Arts building. I'd love to apply for the percussion instructor position if/when one becomes available. :)

Not only is it going in the parking lot but they are tearing down those houses right there. Unfortunately that includes the African American Culture center where I spent quite a bit of my time on campus.

The maglev webpage has been down for revision for a while now. Maybe they hammered out the kinks... I've been watching the hotel being built during my Euro history class, it looked like work had slowed down last week and into this week, but on Friday they were back at it.

Edited by cpeakesqr

The already approved 60 scholarships.

Not only is it going in the parking lot but they are tearing down those houses right there. Unfortunately that includes the African American Culture center where I spent quite a bit of my time on campus.

Thanks for the update, Occasio. ODU also, bought the house on the corner lot next to the Catholic Campus House. Like I said, I have since graduated but my wife and I still attend mass on campus during the semesters, so I am at ODU at least on Sunday afternoons. The build up of ODU's campus sense they began constructing the Ted (which I would see and hear during many a class at BA) is absolutley amazing.

Really, are they any other universities grow and building at this rate right now? It seems like they have a dozen projects going on at the same time.

Thanks for the update, Occasio. ODU also, bought the house on the corner lot next to the Catholic Campus House. Like I said, I have since graduated but my wife and I still attend mass on campus during the semesters, so I am at ODU at least on Sunday afternoons. The build up of ODU's campus sense they began constructing the Ted (which I would see and hear during many a class at BA) is absolutley amazing.

Really, are they any other universities grow and building at this rate right now? It seems like they have a dozen projects going on at the same time.

My pics don't show it, but the biggest construction work will be the athletic facilities near the soccer field and previous site of field house.

Edited by Sky06

• 3 weeks later...

American maglev now in Georgia

The Georgia businessman behind the ill-fated maglev train at Old Dominion University is testing his magnetic levitation ideas again - and claiming his newest vehicle, outside Atlanta, has reached speeds of 60 mph.

ODU researchers, who are still trying to make the Norfolk train run properly after $16 million has been spent on the project, said they find such a speed hard to believe.

Thomas Alberts, an aerospace engineering professor leading the research, said it's unlikely the vehicle could reach that speed and then return to a stop on its 2,000-foot track, which is much shorter than ODU's 3,200-foot elevated guideway.

Where does ODU rank among Graduate Engineering Schools? According to U.S. News and World Report, April 9, 2007 it is not in the top 50. I do not believe this to be true, please clear this up for me. I am trying to get one of my students to attend ODU for Grad school.

I know many colleges are rebelling against the U.S. News and World Report rankings because of alleged inaccuracies. On the ODU website, the engineering programs are ranked by how much money is going into research... and several of the programs were in the 20's.

• 2 weeks later...

The Board of Visitors recently approved this budget plan for new construction and renovations starting in 2008:

2008-2010 Biennium

1 Hughes Hall Renovation - Equipment (GF) $1,260,000

2 Student Success Center (GF & NGF) $14,846,188

3 VAB and Academic Art Building (GF) $17,813,062

4 Systems Research and Academic Building (GF) $19,976,925

5 Child Development Centers (GF & Private) $14,673,764

6 Education Building Renovation (GF) $10,583,342

7 Spong and Rollins Hall Renovations (GF) $19,733,606

8 Facilities Support Building (GF) $24,891,250

9 Regulatory Compliance-Hazardous Materiels (GF) $2,220,500

10 New Residence Hall-Completion of Quad Housing (NGF) $9,381,675

11 Land Acquisition (NGF) $1,969,770

12 Metheny Baseball Stadium Improvements (NGF & Private) $3,000,000

Total for 2008-2010 Biennium $140,350,082

2010-2012 Biennium

13 Chemistry Building (Phase 2) (GF) $23,151,586

14 Kaufman Hall Renovation & Addition (GF) $25,351,857

15 Webb Center Addition and Renovation (NGF) $23,673,195

16 Life Science Pretlow Renovations (GF) $17,285,351

17 Replace Mechanical Systems in Oceanography & Physics Building (GF) $2,719,000

18 Perry Library Additions & Renovations (GF) $18,032,484

19 Performing Arts/Fine Arts Building (Phase 3) (GF & Private) $54,452,060

20 Stormwater Management Improvements (GF) $395,259

21 Housing Renovations (Phase 2) (NGF) $15,853,350

22 New Instructional Media Building (GF) $6,162,187

23 New Residence Hall-Affinity Building (NGF) $19,335,630

24 Land Acquisition (NGF) $1,969,770

Total for 2010-2012 Biennium $228,381,729

2012-2014 Biennium

25 Teletechnet Center Expansion (GF) $22,256,000

26 New Academic and Administration Building (GF) $26,437,895

27 Koch Hall and Administration Annex Renovation (GF) $8,885,182