ODU Development

rusthebuss

• 2 weeks later...

They just announced that the second building of the research park will start construction soon and be completed in late 2008. It will be a mirror of the building opening today and will be located right beside it.

And... EVMS will be a tenant in the first building.

Edited by cpeakesqr

They just announced that the second building of the research park will start construction soon and be completed in late 2008. It will be a mirror of the building opening today and will be located right beside it.

And... EVMS will be a tenant in the first building.

I didn't realize there would be another building. Things are taking off in the village. I'd just like to see some of those old warehouses cleaned up along Hampton.

High interest stadium seating.

Also, the bookstore should be completed in October and will open in December, and the Hotel will also be completed in October with its opening in November. The hotel will feature a 75-seat ODU sports themed restaurant. The museum/art gallery has been completed and is set for a grand opening in Septemeber. And finally, land assembly for the shopping center and final phase of the University Village is underway.

Edited by cpeakesqr

High interest stadium seating.

Also, the bookstore should be completed in October and will open in December, and the Hotel will also be completed in October with its opening in November. The hotel will feature a 75-seat ODU sports themed restaurant. The museum/art gallery has been completed and is set for a grand opening in Septemeber. And finally, land assembly for the shopping center and final phase of the University Village is underway.

The shopping center is planned for the corner of 38th and Hampton Blvd. correct? Does ODU plan on aquiring all the property that is bounded by 38th street on the south side, Hampton Blvd on the west side, 41st to the north, and Killam to the east? I know there are still some industrial businesses in that area.

The shopping center is planned for the corner of 38th and Hampton Blvd. correct? Does ODU plan on aquiring all the property that is bounded by 38th street on the south side, Hampton Blvd on the west side, 41st to the north, and Killam to the east? I know there are still some industrial businesses in that area.

I believe that the original plan was to develop the entire area bordered by Hampton Blvd., 38th Street, Killam, and 41 St. I believe the design and planning has changed, but it still includes developing that same area.

To clarify more:

ODU will build a signature research facility on 43rd Street and Hampton Boulevard once they finish the second building of the IRP. The main challenge of the IRP is the run down houses and business on the south side of 41st Street. ODU originally planned to include everything around 38th, 41st Streets, Hampton Blvd and Killam Ave but the plans now are scaled down. ODU will perhaps buy the site of the old 7-11, and some run down properties and build another research facility there.

More on the stadium, they are going to renovate Foreman Field, yes, and build a parking garage and suites on the south end. That will mean the faculty will have to find another way to park - the new one will be built on the faculty lot. They will remove some of the bleachers and put in Big Blue seats - the middle of the seating area, for reserved members.

The hotel is now up to the 4th floor on skeletal construction, and the bookstore is now covered and still skeletal - steel frame construction.

I still haven't heard about the 43rd Street expansion, it might come in handy before Foreman Field opens for the 2009 football season. Perhaps the city of Norfolk might be working on it, since it's city property and not ODU property, will need to clarify on that.

43rd Street improvements are supposed to be done this summer by the city. Also, Foreman field renovations will not begin until the Powhatan Sports Complex is completed. Request for Qualification for this building has been issued, with responses due May 31st. The developers of the shopping center/grocery store are committed to begin as soon as feasible.

Edited by cpeakesqr

More on the stadium, they are going to renovate Foreman Field, yes, and build a parking garage and suites on the south end. That will mean the faculty will have to find another way to park - the new one will be built on the faculty lot.

I believe they're suppose to build another huge parking garage across from the stadium on Hampton Blvd in the lot right next to WHRO. If so, it would be nice to have a pedestrian overpass from the garage for the games.

I believe they're suppose to build another huge parking garage across from the stadium on Hampton Blvd in the lot right next to WHRO. If so, it would be nice to have a pedestrian overpass from the garage for the games.

Yes, it's in the plan. It would be nice, but to have a overpass crossing Hampton Blvd would pose major problems. Truck traffic makes it impossible unless a 3rd crossing is to be built. If you use Hampton Blvd everyday, you see the problem with traffic.

At a recent speaking engagement (that I did not attend), the new football coach revealed that ODU will be setting aside an area for tailgating. Likely in the lot where the old Field House used to be. don't know any other details, but it's good it's being encouraged.

At a recent speaking engagement (that I did not attend), the new football coach revealed that ODU will be setting aside an area for tailgating. Likely in the lot where the old Field House used to be. don't know any other details, but it's good it's being encouraged.

I will be there dude!

Congratulations to ODU grad and sailing great Terry Hutchinson, the tactician oboard the New Zealand America's Cup yacht, Emeriates. The Kiwis defeated the Italian Luna Rossa team today in the opening race of the Louis Vuitton challenger race. The winner will go on to face the Alinghi team, the America's Cup defenders.

Here's a pdf link to some loose sketches of the new Powhatan Sports Complex (football practice facilities) and elevation for the sky boxes planned for Foreman Field (page 13). These images are on ODU's athletic home page under football.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/oldd/s...de-guide-07.pdf

Edited by br0guy

Here's a pdf link to some loose sketches of the new Powhatan Sports Complex (football practice facilities) and elevation for the sky boxes planned for Foreman Field (page 13). These images are on ODU's athletic home page under football.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/oldd/s...de-guide-07.pdf

Nice document, but they need to update this to provide better pics of Foreman Field once an award is made.

Yes, it's in the plan. It would be nice, but to have a overpass crossing Hampton Blvd would pose major problems. Truck traffic makes it impossible unless a 3rd crossing is to be built. If you use Hampton Blvd everyday, you see the problem with traffic.

There is an overpass on Brambleton (down by EVMS) that doesn't seem to be bothered with trucks that pass under it every day. And they already have the so-called maglev track set up.

I have always suspected that the cost of making it ADA compliable (elevators) and of course the fact that no one ever uses those things has more to do with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Development news from the June 15th Board of Visitors meeting:

-The Board wants the Powhatan Sports Complex and the Foreman Field Game Day Plan to be a design/build process, so that it can be completed by the Fall of 2009.

-The bids for construction of building C of the new housing quad are in, and President Runte said they were "favorable".

Development news from the June 15th Board of Visitors meeting:

-The Board wants the Powhatan Sports Complex and the Foreman Field Game Day Plan to be a design/build process, so that it can be completed by the Fall of 2009.

-The bids for construction of building C of the new housing quad are in, and President Runte said they were "favorable".

Forgive my ignorance, but how does this impact Foreman Field?