CANCELED: Divinity Development

Mith242

The fact is that Fayetteville has yet to come up with any plan of where there will be growth in downtown and where there will just be old buildings and trees. If the city is to grow outside of downtown then expect very little support for downtown services when the funds are redirected to the fastest growing, more prosperous areas of the city. There is a lot of infill space in downtown Fayetteville that will be wasted space that generates no funds for the city unless it is developed and it's not going to get developed if the city keeps turning away great developments like Divinity.

The fact is that there already is a plan of where to put buildings like this in downtown Fayetteville. It's called the downtown master plan. The council has adopted it, and following the 6 story height restrictions, it is becoming implemented with city codes.

And the tenement dowtown, their trying. The U.S. Gov't created this horrible little thing we call HUD. The gov't went all around the U.S. and built these homes for people with lower income so they could live in a real place. One problem, they never devised a plan on how to pay for it. That tenement building struggles to pay the electricity to keep their tenents alive. The city of Fayetteville every spring pays for flower boxes filled with an assortment of flowers to trail down the sides to cover up the grout stains leaking from the joints of the facade. Now I don't know what other eyesores there are downtown, but this one is a problem in many urban and suburban settings. The Ball building has been purchased by the Growth group with expected plans for renovation. Most buildings on the square are beautiful now. And, if you want to b*tch about the buildings on the University get in line. Although, I think you will be suprised in a couple of years when most of those eyesores come down. i.e., Yocum, Humphrey, Pomfret

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks strmchsr77. I imagine I'll shoot a friendly email to somebody(s). Thanks to everyone for the good discussion. This site does seem to be the best place for this information.

If Fayetteville can allow Lindsey to build 1000 identical apartments then I think they can allow some extortion of richer people with an ugly building (they say it is ugly not me although I don't think it could have looked more weird).

However, I guess I'm just still shocked that it was denied. Give me the land and the money and I think I could find something that works. One of the parties must not have been willing to work with the other. I honestly don't know which party (between the Planning Commission and the Barber developers).

Add solar receptor cells into the windows to power the lights in the building and it would have sold the PC.

Although, I think you will be suprised in a couple of years when most of those eyesores come down. i.e., Yocum, Humphrey, Pomfret

I doubt the U of A is going to be demolishing any dorms in the distant future, considering the Uof A doesn't have enough dorms to take in underclasmen as it is.

Oh that wasn't a pot-shot... I was just stating an obvious fact.

In a public forum such as this, it is generally best not to confuse your own personal 'opinion' with 'fact'. Someone just might call you out on it. And, as I stated earlier there are many people who would strongly disagree with your opinion based dig at Fayetteville.

The fact is that Fayetteville has yet to come up with any plan of where there will be growth in downtown and where there will just be old buildings and trees.
No growth here indeed. Except for the Renaissance Building. And the Legacy Building. And the BofA Condos. And the Spring Street Lofts. And the RR Depot Renovation. And the Underwood Building. And yes, even the Divinity Building. I could go on, but I'd hate to cloud your opinion with more facts. If you're really interested or concerned with development in Downtown Fayetteville, I would strongly suggest checking out the Fayetteville Downtown Master Plan that CellarDoor mentioned. I think you'll find lots of useful information there.

As for me personally, you're not going to see me repeatedly attempting to hi-jack threads by taking uncalled for shots at other cities in NWA. I love NWA and Fayetteville in particular, and I understand how all of the major NWA cities are inter-related. And I count myself among the most fortunate of people to be able to live, work and to own residential and commercial property right smack dab in the middle of all of your Downtown Fayetteville 'eyesores'.

I doubt the U of A is going to be demolishing any dorms in the distant future, considering the Uof A doesn't have enough dorms to take in underclasmen as it is.

That is just what the Housing people at the U of A said. Not saying it has been approved by any trustees. I just think they are trying to switch more to a communal living such as Maple Hill or the Quad. Big Dorms like that are not "Good for the college experience". Hell, Yocum isn't even safe. Somebody gets trapped in the elevator every other week during school. And Humphreys still doesn't have air conditioning of any sorts.

That is just what the Housing people at the U of A said. Not saying it has been approved by any trustees. I just think they are trying to switch more to a communal living such as Maple Hill or the Quad. Big Dorms like that are not "Good for the college experience". Hell, Yocum isn't even safe. Somebody gets trapped in the elevator every other week during school. And Humphreys still doesn't have air conditioning of any sorts.

I still think the major dorms are going to remain. They may remodel them to possible communal living, or just improve the interior and exterior features. I think the U of A is just going to give more options with more communtal living to students. Besides, Communal living is more expensive than normal dorm living, not everyone is going to be able to afford the best.

In a public forum such as this, it is generally best not to confuse your own personal 'opinion' with 'fact'. Someone just might call you out on it. And, as I stated earlier there are many people who would strongly disagree with your opinion based dig at Fayetteville.

No growth here indeed. Except for the Renaissance Building. And the Legacy Building. And the BofA Condos. And the Spring Street Lofts. And the RR Depot Renovation. And the Underwood Building. And yes, even the Divinity Building. I could go on, but I'd hate to cloud your opinion with more facts. If you're really interested or concerned with development in Downtown Fayetteville, I would strongly suggest checking out the Fayetteville Downtown Master Plan that CellarDoor mentioned. I think you'll find lots of useful information there.

As for me personally, you're not going to see me repeatedly attempting to hi-jack threads by taking uncalled for shots at other cities in NWA. I love NWA and Fayetteville in particular, and I understand how all of the major NWA cities are inter-related. And I count myself among the most fortunate of people to be able to live, work and to own residential and commercial property right smack dab in the middle of all of your Downtown Fayetteville 'eyesores'.

It seems that your opinion is that there are many people in Fayetteville that like tall blocks of black stained concrete jutting out of the ground in the middle of downtown. The "fact" is they're just plain ugly. As for the Fayetteville Downtown Master Plan, I downloaded it 2 years ago and was impressed by it. I'm just not impressed with the progress so far. I do know that without developments like the Divinity it's going to be difficult for Fayetteville to pay for the "master plan".

As for me personally, I'm not hijacking any threads. This thread is no longer about the Divinity Building because that building isn't going to be built. It's become a thread about how downtown Fayetteville's PC has repeatedly rejected a development that would enhance the downtown district and create new revenue to go toward the Fayetteville Downtown Master Plan. And it's about the hypocrasy I'm witnessing that buildings like the Divinity would be an eyesore when it's a huge improvement over the existing eyesores in downtown Fayetteville.

It seems that your opinion is that there are many people in Fayetteville that like tall blocks of black stained concrete jutting out of the ground in the middle of downtown.
Wow. It seems like that came straight out of left field....or beyond. I give up.

Back to Divinity itsself: contrary to what you may think, it is not dead and it will still be built. But Divinity actually meets very few of the requirements established in the Downtown Master Plan that you were admittedly impressed with (building materials, design, compatibility,height, etc). There's a bit of hypocrasy there, as well in allowing a project that is contrary to so many elements of the Plan. Hey, I'm a big Divinity supporter, but I realize that not everyone who opposes this project is a tree hugger, or anti growth or a lover of concrete eyesores. There are some legitimate concerns about this project, but I think that finally both sides are close to a compromise that will satisfy the majority of people.

I think they'd still protest it even if it did meet the Master Plan guidelines. There are just people who don't want anything above 2-3 stories on Dickson. Although it's surprising there wasn't much fuss about the Lofts at Underwood Plaza. I think that one caught people off guard.

I think they'd still protest it even if it did meet the Master Plan guidelines. There are just people who don't want anything above 2-3 stories on Dickson. Although it's surprising there wasn't much fuss about the Lofts at Underwood Plaza. I think that one caught people off guard.

So, what is the Barber Group doing about this?

I agree with Apork. and file a lawsuit with the city of Fayetteville. The city will probably realize that it can't possibly win a lawsuit of this matter considering an 8 Floor Building, a 7 Floor Building, and an 18 Floor Building are within reasonable sights. Then, I see the city settling this out of court with the Barber Group by allowing a scaled back version of the project (Probably the last design) being allowed. Otherwise, if the city loses, not only is going to have to pay the Barber Group a specified amount of money, but it's going to have to allow the first design of the building.

Hope to hear more about this.

So, what is the Barber Group doing about this?

I agree with Apork. and file a lawsuit with the city of Fayetteville. The city will probably realize that it can't possibly win a lawsuit of this matter considering an 8 Floor Building, a 7 Floor Building, and an 18 Floor Building are within reasonable sights. Then, I see the city settling this out of court with the Barber Group by allowing a scaled back version of the project (Probably the last design) being allowed. Otherwise, if the city loses, not only is going to have to pay the Barber Group a specified amount of money, but it's going to have to allow the first design of the building.

Hope to hear more about this.

The city may let it purposely go to that. That way they look like they tried to hold their ground to keep citizens off their backs. I got an e-mail from Brandon Rains of the Barber Group mentioning the vote was tonight and hoped to have as many supporters there as possible. I had hoped for maybe some new renditions, but there wasn't any.

Just incase anyone is near a TV. On channel 16 (in Fayetteville) they are debating the Divinity building as I type. I can't stand watching it too close, so I just switch back and forth. Too many idiots giving stupid reasons of why they don't want it, but nothing we have not heard before. Anyway, I will try and post the outcome if I catch it. Otherwise, it will be on the news tonight for sure.

Just incase anyone is near a TV. On channel 16 (in Fayetteville) they are debating the Divinity building as I type. I can't stand watching it too close, so I just switch back and forth. Too many idiots giving stupid reasons of why they don't want it, but nothing we have not heard before. Anyway, I will try and post the outcome if I catch it. Otherwise, it will be on the news tonight for sure.

Thanks.

I'm watching it right now.

How far are we from a verdict ?

If the council fails this project they will lose the sewer tax vote that is coming up. How can the council turn down a financial gain and then turn around and ask the citizens for more.

Thanks.

I'm watching it right now.

Very good debate in my opinon. You have one counsil man who says there is no way he can support the project because it sticks out. But then the next council women says that the Walton Art Center, and Blair Library stuck out at times they were built. There are totally two different sides to this debate which makes it very interesting. However, with the underwood loft, legacy, and renisannce building, I don't see how they can turn this down. Cities all over the country have different styles of building, which some of them do fit in and some do not fit in. With the growth of Rogers and with the City of Fayetteville killing developments like they are, its going to be interesting to see what NWA looks like 15 years.

Is it a 9 Floors?

Yes, it passed 5-3 I believe. The crowd seemed to cheer after the last vote was read. It looks just like the last rendering that we saw during the PC portion, if you remember that. It is probably posted on this site somewhere. Finally an intelligent choice by the Fayetteville City Council.

Archived