CANCELED: Divinity Development

Mith242

Another interesting development rumor that I'm sticking in this thread simply because I couldn't find a better place for it. It does qualify as another possible mixed use development, but it also signifies the end of an era on Dickson Street: Rogers Rec has reportedly finally sold. The new owners..........lets just say it starts with a 'B' and it seems like they own about half of the street now. Heck I guess if they buy the whole street they can develop it however they want to! :rofl:

I had heard it was for sale, but did not know what had happened. Thanks for the update.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another interesting development rumor that I'm sticking in this thread simply because I couldn't find a better place for it. It does qualify as another possible mixed use development, but it also signifies the end of an era on Dickson Street: Rogers Rec has reportedly finally sold. The new owners..........lets just say it starts with a 'B' and it seems like they own about half of the street now. Heck I guess if they buy the whole street they can develop it however they want to! :rofl:

Interesting, I wonder what they'll do with that property. It isn't very big.

I wonder if they will simply demolish it to make for better access for the Legacy building...

I don't know, that wouldn't seem to be using the property very well. I think something like that would also make even more people mad at the Barber Group for doing so much to change Dickson St.

I wonder if they will simply demolish it to make for better access for the Legacy building...

You know, I actually thought about that--they are reportedly having some trouble marketing those condos and I'm sure that easier access couldn't hurt. When the WAC was built, they originally planned to raze one of the businesses along that row of properties to make easier access to that parking lot behind there. The idea was scrapped in part because at the time there were no property owners willing to sell and no one wanted to pursue eminent domain.

Anyway, I doubt that will be the case here, given the reported price that they paid for Rogers (which sets a new standard for property on Dickson which had previously been going for $80-100/sq ft). That hefty price probably means they've got big plans in mind. Just an opinion, but I expect to see them first go strong after the building and lot next door that houses The Gypsy and also the other adjacent building that houses Common Grounds. That would give them a serious chunk of real-estate to work with. I don't think that either of those parties is looking to sell right now, but money does talk.

You know, I actually thought about that--they are reportedly having some trouble marketing those condos and I'm sure that easier access couldn't hurt. When the WAC was built, they originally planned to raze one of the businesses along that row of properties to make easier access to that parking lot behind there. The idea was scrapped in part because at the time there were no property owners willing to sell and no one wanted to pursue eminent domain.

Anyway, I doubt that will be the case here, given the reported price that they paid for Rogers (which sets a new standard for property on Dickson which had previously been going for $80-100/sq ft). That hefty price probably means they've got big plans in mind. Just an opinion, but I expect to see them first go strong after the building and lot next door that houses The Gypsy and also the other adjacent building that houses Common Grounds. That would give them a serious chunk of real-estate to work with. I don't think that either of those parties is looking to sell right now, but money does talk.

Yeah you never know, I wouldn't expect them to sell out either but if enough money was offered you never know. As far as the condos are concerned I hadn't heard any problems of them selling. I hadn't checked in probably half a year but I was thinking there was only around 10 left back then. Unless some people have backed out since then.

Here's a pic by the way I too early the other morning of it.

img10034ss6nw.jpg

I also think this is closer to the 'core' are of Dickson St. I believe it will be hard to build anything up around this area along the street front. The way public opinion seems to be about Dickson St right now at least. Maybe things will calm down eventually.

Ok, as it goes with rumors sometimes it was only half-true. Rogers did indeed sell, but not to the Barber Group. I can't remember the young man's name whose family bought it, but he seems very nice. Says no plans for big changes immediately rather over time. They hope to add among other things a rooftop patio. I'm not sure how that would work with such a small building, but I sure think it sounds like a neat idea (it works pretty well for on the rocks). Anyway, the new owners take over operation friday morning.

Ok, as it goes with rumors sometimes it was only half-true. Rogers did indeed sell, but not to the Barber Group. I can't remember the young man's name whose family bought it, but he seems very nice. Says no plans for big changes immediately rather over time. They hope to add among other things a rooftop patio. I'm not sure how that would work with such a small building, but I sure think it sounds like a neat idea (it works pretty well for on the rocks). Anyway, the new owners take over operation friday morning.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Yeah I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a rooftop patio. Any ideas what type of establishment that he's going to make of it?

There was an article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about the pool hall. Looks like it's going to stay a pool hall with a possible addition of a bar upstairs. Anyway one any idea what the upstairs is being used for currently?

If it ever gets approved. It is frustrating to have it keep getting put off but I do understand where the Barber Group is going with this. They obviously know it's going to be a hard sell to the council and I get the impression they're really trying to overhaul the plans trying to come up with something that has at least a shot.

If it ever gets approved. It is frustrating to have it keep getting put off but I do understand where the Barber Group is going with this. They obviously know it's going to be a hard sell to the council and I get the impression they're really trying to overhaul the plans trying to come up with something that has at least a shot.

I have it on really good information that they are trying to do everything in their power to appease the law and basically planning on the PC still refusing them. They they have a pretty easy lawsuit.

Don't plan on it, but when it happens, don't be surprised.

I have it on really good information that they are trying to do everything in their power to appease the law and basically planning on the PC still refusing them. They they have a pretty easy lawsuit.

Yeah I have noticed that they really seem to be trying to work with the city to get this done. I'm not sure where a lawsuit will get them though. Granted they did initially get this whole thing started before they set the building height restriction. Of course I guess people should also realize not everyone is against this development. There is a rather vocal group of people making a lot of noise. It does look like there's a couple of council members who aren't happy over this development but that doesn't mean the rest of the council is against it.

It is pretty simple. They should just skip the PC, move on to the Council and if the council keeps denying it, then they can sue. The Barber group has done everything in their power to make the PC happy and it is quite possibly costing them millions of dollars.

It is pretty simple. They should just skip the PC, move on to the Council and if the council keeps denying it, then they can sue. The Barber group has done everything in their power to make the PC happy and it is quite possibly costing them millions of dollars.

The interest on the loan for the property is costing around $800 per day. That is just one small part of what it is costing them overall though.

I think it's great that the Barber Group is doing so much for NWA, but it seems like they think they should be able to do anything they feel like. I personnaly like the Divinity building but knowing the character of dickson st. and the surrounding area it would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm sure this is why the PC is denying it left and right.

Archived