Midtowne Little Rock

While milling around at Park Plaza yesterday, my neighbor and I considered the possibilities of what may come to the now-vacant Bombay space. While neither one of us is that connected that we get good gossip on such things, I pondered the chance that Godiva might re-enter Little Rock after having left Park Plaza long ago (though Bombay's space might be too big for that, plus Godiva could wind up at Promenade). My neighbor came up with the theory that something spa-related might be more likely to replace Bombay, especially an Aveda store.

I could see a SPA store going there too...

Aveda (which could be found in Parisian's hair salon area - not sure if it is still there now that they are Belk)

The Body Shop (there's one in NWA)

Origins (Dillards sell some of their stuff)

The Body Shop I would think would be most likely to get a LR location, since NWA has one

• 2 weeks later...

Have you noticed that the Container Store has a large sublet that is vacant with "For Rent" posters on the window? That makes THREE vacant spaces (along with Bombay and the large space next to it) at Midtowne. Kind of scary.

I think a spa store would be a bad move. Seems like the mall already has too much space dedicated to women. Plus, Park Plaza across the street already has that area covered with Bath Body Works and an Aveda Salon in Dillard's. What the area need is another restaurant. BADLY. And getting the state's first Apple Store wouldn't suck either.

Have you noticed that the Container Store has a large sublet that is vacant with "For Rent" posters on the window? That makes THREE vacant spaces (along with Bombay and the large space next to it) at Midtowne. Kind of scary.

I think a spa store would be a bad move. Seems like the mall already has too much space dedicated to women. Plus, Park Plaza across the street already has that area covered with Bath Body Works and an Aveda Salon in Dillard's. What the area need is another restaurant. BADLY. And getting the state's first Apple Store wouldn't suck either.

The state's first Apple Store is unfortunately going to the Promenade at Chenal. I think Midtown would be a much more popular location at the retail nexus of Park Plaza, Park Avenue and Midtown.

Also, I wouldn't worry at all about available space at Midtown. Strode is being very selective, plus he's now considering all his options with his own development (Park Avenue) across the street. And if he was nervous about tenants or the development, he certainly wouldn't be developing Park Avenue in the first place, which dwarfs Midtown.

The state's first Apple Store is unfortunately going to the Promenade at Chenal. I think Midtown would be a much more popular location at the retail nexus of Park Plaza, Park Avenue and Midtown.

Also, I wouldn't worry at all about available space at Midtown. Strode is being very selective, plus he's now considering all his options with his own development (Park Avenue) across the street. And if he was nervous about tenants or the development, he certainly wouldn't be developing Park Avenue in the first place, which dwarfs Midtown.

Where did the random cell phone into play at Midtown?

There is supposed to be a Mexican restaurant coming next to Relax the Back. Cantina Laredo was originally included in the tenant lineup so I would not be suprised if that was it. Even if its not, it will definately be nice considering what has already been done at Midtowne. I think the original plan was for there to be 4 restaurants total. I hope Strode sticks with that plan.

EDIT: Cantina Laredo has been confirmed according to the Midtowne website.

Sweet. My wife will freak out. She loves mexican food and living in Hillcrest, this is close to our house!

Sweet. My wife will freak out. She loves mexican food and living in Hillcrest, this is close to our house!

I am very excited about this. A high end Mexican restaurant is long overdue in this market. I have been to Cantina Laredo in other places and I think it is some of the best Mexican food I have ever had.

I am very excited about this. A high end Mexican restaurant is long overdue in this market. I have been to Cantina Laredo in other places and I think it is some of the best Mexican food I have ever had.

A "high end" restaurant with a Ladies Night (see web site)? Do they have wet t-shirt night as well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The grand opening will also be a fundraising event, with a portion of proceeds to benefit CARTI (Central Arkansas Radiation Therapy Institute).

More details here:

http://www.containerstore.com/find/store.j...equestid=612933

My wife performed recon at the Container Store yesterday (Saturday, 3/8). Her report is that all Midtowne stores were packed, not just the Container Store. The Container Store was very packed. People were buying lots of things.

She bought a few. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Relax-the-Back "timed" their grand opening with the Container Store's event.

UPDATE: A family member, who worked at another store in Midtowne today, said the Container Store is definitely having an impact on the sales and foot-traffic.

Edited by turboturtle

I was at The Container Store on Saturday as well. "Packed" doesn't sufficiently cover it; I was borderline claustrophobic from the horde of shoppers. Still, it's a very positive sign. And I can report that the apparent halo effect from the grand opening perhaps extended all the way back to Park Plaza. The parking deck was quite full over there, though that partially could have been due to the Children's Hospital Health Fair.

Parking at Midtowne was also a precious commodity, of course. It wasn't until yesterday that I realized how much room there was behind Lewis & Clark Outfitters. Even all of that was full.

This all makes me even more anxious for what Park Avenue may eventually be like and how it will perform in the market.

It's good to hear that the stores in Midtowne were packed because of the Container Store. This bodes well for both Midtowne and Park Plaza that they will still be draws even though Promenade Chenal will be opening later this year. The Little Rock retail market is definitely maturing since it can support these retail centers. Even Pleasant Ridge has it draws, but Shackleford Crossing may be a lost cause if something doesn't happen soon.

I was at The Container Store on Saturday as well. "Packed" doesn't sufficiently cover it; I was borderline claustrophobic from the horde of shoppers. Still, it's a very positive sign. And I can report that the apparent halo effect from the grand opening perhaps extended all the way back to Park Plaza. The parking deck was quite full over there, though that partially could have been due to the Children's Hospital Health Fair.

Parking at Midtowne was also a precious commodity, of course. It wasn't until yesterday that I realized how much room there was behind Lewis & Clark Outfitters. Even all of that was full.

This all makes me even more anxious for what Park Avenue may eventually be like and how it will perform in the market.

I was going to Dillard's yesterday and had to pass. The mall was as full as it gets the week before Christmas, no parking anywhere.

Parking at Midtowne will be tight as the last tenants fill in. I'd expect a wait at Cantina Laredo for the first few months it's open.

Ark Business reported the Container Store donated $13,500 to CARTI which means they made $135,000 over their first weekend. I wonder if that met or exceeded their expectations? We tried to shop their on Sunday but it was way too crowded so we left and decided to return on a less busy weeknight. I am sure others had similar experiences.

On a related topic, any idea on what store might go next to the Container Store?

Ark Business reported the Container Store donated $13,500 to CARTI which means they made $135,000 over their first weekend. I wonder if that met or exceeded their expectations? We tried to shop their on Sunday but it was way too crowded so we left and decided to return on a less busy weeknight. I am sure others had similar experiences.

On a related topic, any idea on what store might go next to the Container Store?

Well, for what its worth, $80 bucks of the $135K was mine.

Anyway, are there not just 2 spots left in the center, one being Cantina Laredo? I'm assuming CL is locating at the SE corner of the east building.

Well, for what its worth, $80 bucks of the $135K was mine.

Anyway, are there not just 2 spots left in the center, one being Cantina Laredo? I'm assuming CL is locating at the SE corner of the east building.

Is the Bombay space vacant or are they still having their closeout sale?