Midtowne Little Rock

That would be a perfect spot for Restoration Hardware or Crate and Barrel.

Seems like RSTO needs to get their house in order (and presumably complete mergers) before they expand, but I could be wrong. Just seems like the timing isnt' good for them to be doing anything.

Seems like RSTO needs to get their house in order (and presumably complete mergers) before they expand, but I could be wrong. Just seems like the timing isnt' good for them to be doing anything.

Agreed. Restoration Hardware locations are fairly few and far between. Jackson, MS actually used to have a location, but it closed a long time ago, and if I'm not mistaken, the Memphis location closed years ago, making way for the Apple store. I don't see them dipping back into many markets this size.

Also - to bchris02 - no way Crate & Barrel would locate with the Container Store 200 ft. away....not a big enough market for two stores of that type.

Agreed. Restoration Hardware locations are fairly few and far between. Jackson, MS actually used to have a location, but it closed a long time ago, and if I'm not mistaken, the Memphis location closed years ago, making way for the Apple store. I don't see them dipping back into many markets this size.

Also - to bchris02 - no way Crate & Barrel would locate with the Container Store 200 ft. away....not a big enough market for two stores of that type.

I don't really think of Crate and Barrel as being anything like Container Store. It has furniture, dishes and household items. They have very little in the way of storage and organization.

That said, it's more urban than most people in LR opt for and is missing in a lot of much bigger markets. Memphis and Nashville don't have locations yet. I'd love it, I'm just not sure it's realistic.

• 1 month later...

LR Williams-Sonoma #1 in store revenue in April for the district. The district includes 12 stores including Memphis and Rogers.

Fantastic news. One (at least me) is always somewhat worried about how the market will support any new endeavor. Glad to hear this! Strode said that Midtown was doing well (and certainly, that was verified by his massive investment in Park Avenue), and this adds validity to that statement.

Note: I wonder how Pottery Barn is doing? Is there one planned for Rogers (seems like I'd heard that)?

Note: I wonder how Pottery Barn is doing? Is there one planned for Rogers (seems like I'd heard that)?

I don't know. I think Pottery Barn is susceptible to trends in home decor and the overall malaise of the housing market. Neither my wife or I have every purchased from Pottery Barn. We're more mid-century modern, clean lines and utilitarian.

LR Williams-Sonoma #1 in store revenue in April for the district. The district includes 12 stores including Memphis and Rogers.

That is great news. This just goes to show LR can support these types of stores, as we all have been saying for some time. Where did you get this info? Just curious.

As far as Pottery Barn, we shop there all the time and have done our fair share in keeping it near the top in the rankings (HA!). I hope all the stores do well because that just opens the door for other reatailers to enter the market.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you. I wonder if other potential restaurants are holding out for Park Avenue.

We'll see. The upscale restaurants in Little Rock aren't doing too well right now because of high gas prices. I'm just hoping to keep the ones we have. If the current trend continues, expect to see a lot of 'fast-casual' restaurants in Park Ave.

For what it's worth, the Midtowne Little Rock website now shows a projected summer opening for Cantina Laredo. That could still be as late as late August or early September, so we'll see about that as it develops.

It says 'mid-summer' so it sounds like their trying to be earlier than that. They just don't seem far enough along for it to be much sooner than late August though.

I don't necessarily see it as a disappointment to have Staples coming to the old Bennigan's site. There are lots of surrounding offices (including neighbors on either side in the Mall Professional Building and Baker Building) which will probably be elated to have a supplier such as Staples this close, rather than some distance to the west or northeast. But it could impact business for Pettus Office Products, off of W. 12th Street. I don't see it negatively impacting either Midtowne or Park Avenue (or Park Plaza, for that matter).

Still, I know it would have been a bit more exciting to see something here with perhaps a broader appeal, but I'd say that the property wasn't squandered the way the southwest corner of Markham and Shackleford was. (A CAR WASH seems far from the most advantageous occupant for that high-profile spot, even if it happens to do a brisk business.)

Still, I know it would have been a bit more exciting to see something here with perhaps a broader appeal, but I'd say that the property wasn't squandered the way the southwest corner of Markham and Shackleford was. (A CAR WASH seems far from the most advantageous occupant for that high-profile spot, even if it happens to do a brisk business.)

One thing I've learned from my 5 months living in Little Rock so far is this city seems to make the dumbest decisions on how to develop high profile locations.

Today's Democrat reported that the old Bennigan's building will be torn down and replaced by a Staples store. What a disappointment.

I agree. I don't know what is the right or appropriate method for planning and/or controlling development in strategic locations, but there needs to be some guidelines about use. Does the University Corridor Overlay (or whatever it is) not have some recommendations or mandates for this site? This is disappointing. Does a change to a "Staples" require any zoning change necessitating city review/approval, or will this go through with no review?

I agree. I don't know what is the right or appropriate method for planning and/or controlling development in strategic locations, but there needs to be some guidelines about use. Does the University Corridor Overlay (or whatever it is) not have some recommendations or mandates for this site? This is disappointing. Does a change to a "Staples" require any zoning change necessitating city review/approval, or will this go through with no review?

I'm a little surprised by the Staples-haters. Though I personally like Office Depot, I think they're identical stores. Why is it that Target gets a thumbs-up and Staples gets a thumbs-down? In addition to all the demand for office supply equipment from the medical and other offices, doesn't it compliment the Container Store? Business travelers staying at the Hilton would use it.

The overlay is VERY permissive as to what it allows. It allows minimal set-back from the street and less than minimum parking spaces per square foot. Nor does a developer have to meet the landscaping requirements of the suburban equivalents. This allows a developer to maximize the building space and promotes the urban feeling. There is a requirement for the amount of window space that should be on a side of a building and signage is controlled.

I'm a little surprised by the Staples-haters. Though I personally like Office Depot, I think they're identical stores. Why is it that Target gets a thumbs-up and Staples gets a thumbs-down? In addition to all the demand for office supply equipment from the medical and other offices, doesn't it compliment the Container Store? Business travelers staying at the Hilton would use it.

The overlay is VERY permissive as to what it allows. It allows minimal set-back from the street and less than minimum parking spaces per square foot. Nor does a developer have to meet the landscaping requirements of the suburban equivalents. This allows a developer to maximize the building space and promotes the urban feeling. There is a requirement for the amount of window space that should be on a side of a building and signage is controlled.

Sorry, I left the totally wrong impression. I was specifically referring to the use at this high-profile location at a major intersection (and I think that was the point of the other posters?). Also, I think it sounds great to have a Staples in the mid-town area - just like Target, or really anything. But Target is at the back corner of an in-board development and isn't even visible from the intersection and doesn't relate to the major arterial street edge.

I'm sure we were all hoping for something in the spirit of the original Bennigan's! Something to reinforce the shopping/entertainment nature of what this district is becoming. Its not a huge thing...certainly better than a 30-year old abandoned restaurant, right! :lol: