Midtowne Little Rock

Wild Oats is going into a building that has yet to be built.

Enough with the complaints about parking (you're not the only one to comment on this)... Large areas of black top for parking is what you enjoy out west and is affectionately called suburban. Midtowne is desgned to have an urban feel. You can't whip around all willy-nilly. Another way to look at it is that parking is a good problem to have.

Woops. Didn't know the Wild Oats building hasn't been constructed yet.

Sorry, didn't realize the parking issue has been discussed ad nausem. Just noticed it when I was there.

Wild Oats is going into a building that has yet to be built.

Enough with the complaints about parking (you're not the only one to comment on this)... Large areas of black top for parking is what you enjoy out west and is affectionately called suburban. Midtowne is desgned to have an urban feel. You can't whip around all willy-nilly. Another way to look at it is that parking is a good problem to have.

In my drive through tonight, I already witnessed a person or two awaiting a light change to walk across to Park Plaza. They really ought to consider a pedestrian bridge, or a fairly pedestrian sensitive stoplight cycle.

In my drive through tonight, I already witnessed a person or two awaiting a light change to walk across to Park Plaza. They really ought to consider a pedestrian bridge, or a fairly pedestrian sensitive stoplight cycle.

If we can get the right development at the University Mall site I think it would be really interesting to sink the University and Markham intersection some and build pedestrian bridges connecting the 3 developments. I wouldn't mind seeing a TIF to make those improvements and make general improvements to Markham and University.

If we can get the right development at the University Mall site I think it would be really interesting to sink the University and Markham intersection some and build pedestrian bridges connecting the 3 developments. I wouldn't mind seeing a TIF to make those improvements and make general improvements to Markham and University.

I agree.

skywalk.jpg

Edited by Cru Jones

I manged to find a website about Midtowne:

Midtowne Little Rock

Not a bad website. Its going to be very successful, but its too bad that that location was limited in area making for a fairly small development. Hopefully this University Mall fiasco can be resolved quickly so that a larger scale, mixed-use development can come along side Park Plaza and Midtowne to build on the upscale, urban development blooming in this part of the city....

Not a bad website. Its going to be very successful, but its too bad that that location was limited in area making for a fairly small development. Hopefully this University Mall fiasco can be resolved quickly so that a larger scale, mixed-use development can come along side Park Plaza and Midtowne to build on the upscale, urban development blooming in this part of the city....

I agree. Since the Midtowne development is so small, it would be good if the University Mall site could be redeveloped as an upscale development to compliment Park Plaza and Midtowne.

I went to Target today and noticed that the Chico's next to it had its windows covered with butcher paper so I assume that it has closed. I thought initially they may try to give it a go with two stores in LR, but I guess they decided just to have the one at Midtowne. I didn't see if the Jos A Bank in the same strip center may be closed as well.

I agree. Since the Midtowne development is so small, it would be good if the University Mall site could be redeveloped as an upscale development to compliment Park Plaza and Midtowne.

I went to Target today and noticed that the Chico's next to it had its windows covered with butcher paper so I assume that it has closed. I thought initially they may try to give it a go with two stores in LR, but I guess they decided just to have the one at Midtowne. I didn't see if the Jos A Bank in the same strip center may be closed as well.

Chico's isn't leaving the market permanently, I'm sure. I would guess they want into a retail development with more foot traffic and they'll pop up in Pleasant Ridge or the Promenade at Chenal when it's built.

A lot of stores that belong in malls/lifestyle centers have settled in strip malls in west LR because of the lack of true major developments, which is changing. Anyone seen that isolated New Balance store on Hwy 10 or the Sharper Image on Chenal? Both would probably prefer one of the newer developments.

Chico's isn't leaving the market permanently, I'm sure. I would guess they want into a retail development with more foot traffic and they'll pop up in Pleasant Ridge or the Promenade at Chenal when it's built.

A lot of stores that belong in malls/lifestyle centers have settled in strip malls in west LR because of the lack of true major developments, which is changing. Anyone seen that isolated New Balance store on Hwy 10 or the Sharper Image on Chenal? Both would probably prefer one of the newer developments.

Chico's is expanding into the space next door...

Chico's is expanding into the space next door...

I'm glad to hear that the are expanding into additional space. I'm also glad the company had enough confidence in the LR market to keep its store in WLR and open one in Midtowne. If they can make it maybe others will decide to place stores in midtown and keep their stores in WLR. Little Rock is getting large enough to where it can support multiple retail locations within the city and not just a store in LR and one in NLR.

• 1 month later...

I was driving down University last night about 8 p.m. before I turned East on Markham. There was not too much traffic out. The way Midtowne was built it is as if it had turned its back to University as well as Markham. For some reason the street lights were out on University. While waiting to turn I looked down towards University Mall and it looked to be closed. The lights were also out on the Mall signs. Lights were on at Park Plaza as well as Midtown. Didn't look too much like Christmas at Markham and University.

• 1 month later...

I was in memphis yesterday and visited the JCrew store there and asked if they had plans of opening a store in LR and the manager told me that their real estate dept was in memphis about a month ago and said they were going to LR to look at sites after they left memphis. She said JCrew likes to locate in high end lifestyle centers and she said she heard that LR had several new ones that fit the description. Hopefully JCrew will open in either midtowne or pleasant ridge someday. Has anybody heard anything about this?

Also, does anybody think LR will ever get a World Market?

I was in memphis yesterday and visited the JCrew store there and asked if they had plans of opening a store in LR and the manager told me that their real estate dept was in memphis about a month ago and said they were going to LR to look at sites after they left memphis. She said JCrew likes to locate in high end lifestyle centers and she said she heard that LR had several new ones that fit the description. Hopefully JCrew will open in either midtowne or pleasant ridge someday. Has anybody heard anything about this?

Also, does anybody think LR will ever get a World Market?

Word is Ft Smith is getting a World Market in the new shopping center. I'm sure they are waiting for the right development in LR. I would've thought Shackleford Crossing would be a good location but could it be one of the larger anchors at Shackleford Crossing?

World Market sells a lot of wine, it would be nice if Arkansas laws were modified so places like it ( as well as ordinary grocery stores) could sell a variety of wine.

I think we'll see a lot of stores we've been hearing about like Apple and J Crew at Promenade at Chenal.

• 4 weeks later...

And the sooner the better...

Every Whole Foods I've been too has been superior to Wild Oats. Before construction began at Midtowne, I emailed Whole Foods to tell someone about the development.

must have worked :yahoo:

I agree about Whole Foods and Wild Oats, WF is vastly better.

I posted this elsewhere, but I wonder what becomes of the old Wild Oats/Beans, Grains and Things on Rodney Parham and 430.

• 2 weeks later...

when are they going to fill out all the stores? I was there this past weekend and there are still a lot of available spaces to be filled. what is taking so long? I can understand the Wild Oats/Whole Foods situation, but why has Lewis and Clark and the restaurant not taken shape? Are there some new possibilites out there to take some of the spots int this shopping center?

when are they going to fill out all the stores? I was there this past weekend and there are still a lot of available spaces to be filled. what is taking so long? I can understand the Wild Oats/Whole Foods situation, but why has Lewis and Clark and the restaurant not taken shape? Are there some new possibilites out there to take some of the spots int this shopping center?

I find that surprising as well. I wonder if the Promenade is also putting pressure on Midtowne, and not just Pleasant Ridge.

So the Wild Oats/Whole Foods that will eventually go in Midtowne... is that replacing the location at Rodney Parham, or is it a second location?

The RP location is not far from where I live, I would miss it, but Midtowne is not that much further..

Yes, it's supposed to be moving meaning the old one would close. Surprising, I always thought they have a nice setup there.

I guess in theory under new ownership if there's no lease Whole Foods could back out.

Also, Fresh Market should be opening very soon near Cantrell and 430. They have similar offerings.

• 4 weeks later...

So the Wild Oats/Whole Foods that will eventually go in Midtowne... is that replacing the location at Rodney Parham, or is it a second location?

The RP location is not far from where I live, I would miss it, but Midtowne is not that much further..

Wild Oats/Whole Foods has backed out of Midtowne. The site has been leased to another tenant.