Midtowne Little Rock

Wild Oats/Whole Foods has backed out of Midtowne. The site has been leased to another tenant.

Booooooooooooooooooooo! Booooooooooooooooooooo! Booooooooooooooooooooo! Booooooooooooooooooooo!

Booooooooooooooooooooo! Booooooooooooooooooooo! Booooooooooooooooooooo! Booooooooooooooooooooo!

If there is a silver lining, it is that this will open the door for a better alternative in Midtowne. I believe the local management

of the current Wild Oats is about as piss-poor as it gets. Potential for "sour grapes" accusations acknowledged.

Who is the other tenant?

Edited by turboturtle

I'm just glad it's already been leased. That's a good sign.

Maybe Whole Foods is just planning on staying put, which is fine. I hope they don't intend to leave the market.

Personally, and this is no knock on Whole Foods, but I think another tenant would be better for Midtowne anyway....

• 1 month later...

AB News says Wild Oats (meaning Whole Foods) is going to Promenade at Chenal.

The replacement tenant for Midtowne is The Container Store, which despite the fact it sounds like Stack and Rack is a pretty upscale chain. The one nearest my home in Dallas is in a shopping center with a Cheesecake Factory, Barnes and Noble, and Elizabeth Arden Red Door Salon. They have nice stuff but prices are a little on the high side.

AB News says Wild Oats (meaning Whole Foods) is going to Promenade at Chenal.

Interesting that article still refers to it as "Wild Oats".

And this from the Wild Oats faq:

"Will my Wild Oats or Capers store continue to be a Wild Oats or Capers even after the merger?

Whole Foods plans to continue to operate our Wild Oats and Capers Community Market stores and, in fact, will make significant capital investments to remodel acquired stores before re-branding them as Whole Foods Market stores. Before making any decisions, Whole Foods will review each store individually to see where it fits in the overall plan.

In some areas, remodeling and re-branding or relocating stores will happen quickly; in others, the change will happen over time, and is expected to take up to two years."

So what is LR getting? Whole Foods or just a new Wild Oats?

Interesting that article still refers to it as "Wild Oats".

And this from the Wild Oats faq:

"Will my Wild Oats or Capers store continue to be a Wild Oats or Capers even after the merger?

Whole Foods plans to continue to operate our Wild Oats and Capers Community Market stores and, in fact, will make significant capital investments to remodel acquired stores before re-branding them as Whole Foods Market stores. Before making any decisions, Whole Foods will review each store individually to see where it fits in the overall plan.

In some areas, remodeling and re-branding or relocating stores will happen quickly; in others, the change will happen over time, and is expected to take up to two years."

So what is LR getting? Whole Foods or just a new Wild Oats?

In that case then it may still be a Wild Oats. I just assumed that Whole Foods was rebranding the whole chain. Still, it seems like new construction would make it a Whole Foods. It sounds to me like they don't want to stick that Whole Foods label on stores that don't meet the brand standards. Kind of the opposite of Belk's, I guess.

I can't believe Midtowne is getting a Container Store. That will be a great addition to the shopping center. Container Stores are only in big cities so Strode must have some really good contacts. If only that area was bigger and it could have been an even better shopping center that would have landed LR many of the stores that we lack...

By the way, what ever happened to that other restaurant that was supposed to be located at Midtowne?

I can't believe Midtowne is getting a Container Store. That will be a great addition to the shopping center. Container Stores are only in big cities so Strode must have some really good contacts. If only that area was bigger and it could have been an even better shopping center that would have landed LR many of the stores that we lack...

By the way, what ever happened to that other restaurant that was supposed to be located at Midtowne?

Imagine was supposed to be in Midtowne but wound up in Pleasant Ridge. Not sure if you're referring to that or something else.

Strode is megaconnected, in part because it manages some very trendy Dallas commercial properties. I'd love to see Strode in charge of whatever replaces University Mall.

Imagine was supposed to be in Midtowne but wound up in Pleasant Ridge. Not sure if you're referring to that or something else.

Strode is megaconnected, in part because it manages some very trendy Dallas commercial properties. I'd love to see Strode in charge of whatever replaces University Mall.

I am not familar with Imagine being connected to Midtowne, but I thought I read the people who run So were supposed to open a place called Gramercy Square (I think????) in Midtowne.

And who remembers "Cantina Laredo"?

They'd been linked to Midtowne and then at one point to Pleasant Ridge. I bet they end up at Promenade based on the types of locations they choose in Dallas.

Cantina Laredo is owned by El Chico's. It's their upscale version, though the food's not at all the same. I'm no fan of El Chico and I actually really like Cantina Laredo.

• 3 weeks later...

From Arkansas Business...

$4.5 million sale of the Little Rock Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center at 5720 W. Markham St. LRock Properties LLC of Sikeston, Mo. bought the nursing home from Ark Rock Associates Ltd., led by Gary Kading.

This is the property adjacent to the Midtowne redevelopment. I'm happy to have a health care facility there, but it would be nice to start over. The building is awful.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Midtowne with my wife and some friends last night around 7:45. One of the stores was locked up, but the owner of the store saw us and came to let us in. We asked if she was closing early and she said no, the reason she has the door locked was because several of the stores on the southeast corner have been robbed this week at Gun point.

What's even more disturbing, is she said the owners of the development have not responded to any of the stores phone calls about the robberies and several of her employees have quit for fear of their safety and a lack of response from the owners. Assuming everything she said is true, this is very disturbing.

I went to Midtowne with my wife and some friends last night around 7:45. One of the stores was locked up, but the owner of the store saw us and came to let us in. We asked if she was closing early and she said no, the reason she has the door locked was because several of the stores on the southeast corner have been robbed this week at Gun point.

What's even more disturbing, is she said the owners of the development have not responded to any of the stores phone calls about the robberies and several of her employees have quit for fear of their safety and a lack of response from the owners. Assuming everything she said is true, this is very disturbing.

Wow, that's unfortunate if true. However, I'd bet half of this is true and half is hype - like most things. It makes you think though, I've never seen any security there, which is definetely not a great thing. BTW, what did she mean by "southeast" corner? There aren't really any stores on the SE corner. What store were you in?

Wow, that's unfortunate if true. However, I'd bet half of this is true and half is hype - like most things. It makes you think though, I've never seen any security there, which is definetely not a great thing. BTW, what did she mean by "southeast" corner? There aren't really any stores on the SE corner. What store were you in?

The store was Franchesca's (sp?) and she said Evolve and the one beside it were the stores robbed, and they attempted to rob Lewis and Clark but were unsuccessful. Apparently they went in the back doors to the locations. You're right there's not a southeast corner. These stores are actually located on the far north end. I suppose those stores would be the easiest targets with back streets just behind them, it would be pretty easy for the robbers to get away.

The store was Franchesca's (sp?) and she said Evolve and the one beside it were the stores robbed, and they attempted to rob Lewis and Clark but were unsuccessful. Apparently they went in the back doors to the locations. You're right there's not a southeast corner. These stores are actually located on the far north end. I suppose those stores would be the easiest targets with back streets just behind them, it would be pretty easy for the robbers to get away.

The story here is more about the condition of the jails than Midtowne. Robberies are up across Little Rock at a rate of about 60 percent. You'll find similar stories in all parts of the City. You may recall that the area banks got together to adopt a policy of what bank customers should wear into a bank (i.e. no sunglasses, no baseball caps).

This condition is the result of the lack of capacity of our jails. There are enough beds to only keep violent criminals right now. This has been the condition for at least a year and the non-violent perps are well aware it. To know that you will be released if you get caught, increases that amount of risk criminals take.

UALR was tapped to do a study of the jails a while back. The results will be published in the next month. This will hopefully be the necessary tool to get the City to support additional beds for the jail. The jails lost in the vote last July/August.

The DOG report the Container Store will open in Spring 2008. This is old news for this forum. It is another new tenant to Central Arkansas. Yeah!

I read that also. I was surprised to see how few (35?) locations they currently have, so at this point, it is fairly exclusive.

I read that also. I was surprised to see how few (35?) locations they currently have, so at this point, it is fairly exclusive.

You can get a lot of the things that Container Store sales at Stack-N-Rack. The items that Stack-N-Rack doesn't sale that Container Store does sale are things you can get from Linens and Thing, Bed Bath Beyond, Target. You get the point.

The Container Store brings it all together under one roof. Convenient. The owner of the Stack-N-Rack, Melinda, and the owner of the Container Store are "friends." It'll be interesting to see how that continues.

The DOG report the Container Store will open in Spring 2008. This is old news for this forum. It is another new tenant to Central Arkansas. Yeah!

It was also interesting to see that Midtowne has only 7000 sq ft of retail space left and they are looking to fill that with another restaraunt.

They need to get the security situation better. The malls have security officers that patrol inside and out. The developers of Midtowne need to look into this or hire off duty police officers. Midtowne has been a success so far. I would hate for this to ruin it.

It was also interesting to see that Midtowne has only 7000 sq ft of retail space left and they are looking to fill that with another restaraunt.

They need to get the security situation better. The malls have security officers that patrol inside and out. The developers of Midtowne need to look into this or hire off duty police officers. Midtowne has been a success so far. I would hate for this to ruin it.

To be truthful, 'security' is still one big advantage of an indoor mall in my opinion - if not reality, then perception none-the-less.

The story here is more about the condition of the jails than Midtowne. Robberies are up across Little Rock at a rate of about 60 percent. You'll find similar stories in all parts of the City. You may recall that the area banks got together to adopt a policy of what bank customers should wear into a bank (i.e. no sunglasses, no baseball caps).

This condition is the result of the lack of capacity of our jails. There are enough beds to only keep violent criminals right now. This has been the condition for at least a year and the non-violent perps are well aware it. To know that you will be released if you get caught, increases that amount of risk criminals take.

UALR was tapped to do a study of the jails a while back. The results will be published in the next month. This will hopefully be the necessary tool to get the City to support additional beds for the jail. The jails lost in the vote last July/August.

Geez. I hope Stodola really pushes this issue. We need to crack down.

This will no doubt help support the idea of a midtown police station.

On the bright side murders are way down.