Midtowne Little Rock

I guess most of the stores in Midtowne are performing well. I spoke with one of the workers at Williams Sonoma and she said they did more in sales in the first two months they were open than they were supposed to do for the entire year. That is promising for other stores of that caliber who may want to locate in LR.

I also saw where a T Mobile store is opening in Midtowne next to Evolve. To my knowledge that is the only T Mobile location in the LR area.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update. St. Vincent has made noticeable progress.

I also noticed that they have built a large retaining wall to separate the St Vincent's campus from University as University is widened. I'm hoping that the new University Ave through that section becomes an attractive boulevard with attractive hardscaping and landscaping.

• 4 weeks later...

The Central Arkansas Library Systems wants to build a $10 million dollar children's library south of I-630 on War Memorial Park land. I think this would be an excellent use for this property. I would also like to see Pulaski Tech establish a Little Rock campus east of this location between I-630 and 12th Street. The Mayor said during the election he would work for the redevelopment of 12th Street. Now that he has the power he could promote the redevelopment by looking for funding to cap I-630 between Fair Park and Pine. If the freeway was capped UAMS could expand to the south. It would be a good area to add a research park.

The Central Arkansas Library Systems wants to build a $10 million dollar children's library south of I-630 on War Memorial Park land. I think this would be an excellent use for this property. I would also like to see Pulaski Tech establish a Little Rock campus east of this location between I-630 and 12th Street. The Mayor said during the election he would work for the redevelopment of 12th Street. Now that he has the power he could promote the redevelopment by looking for funding to cap I-630 between Fair Park and Pine. If the freeway was capped UAMS could expand to the south. It would be a good area to add a research park.

All good stuff...

A library on 12th is a good idea. Mayor Dailey had a 12th street revitalization plan at one point that never went anywhere.

I posted the idea about UAMS expanding across I-630 and got mostly skepticism. This idea is actively being cultivated.

Pulaski Tech already has a site at Kanis and Barrow. I'm not sure the is any point in adding another campus here.

UALR has plans for a research park where the Goodwill / Pizza Hut area is on University. It is directly across from ETAS and the new Engineering and Information Technology (EIT) building. The idea is that it will give professors and private research more direct access.

I'm all for the library being added to the area and a focused Children's Library is a great idea overall. I think the more facets we add to War Memorial Park the better.

You can add more green space by capping the freeway, that's the way most places do it. That said "capping" the freeway is very expensive. Capping the Woodall Rodgers Freeway in Dallas was a stretch even for a large, wealth city like Big D.

I don't see UAMS expanding across I-630 as it really limits access between buildings. The employees need to be able to walk between the buildings and preferably be connected by skybridges or covered paths. You almost never see a campus like that severed by an interstate. Instead, it needs to be more condensed and more vertical where it can.

In yesterday's Democrat Gazette, an article about the the recent and in development retail centers stated that there were four restaurants that are interested in locating to Midtowne. Strode Properties is being selective the article stated.

Also, the article stated that Midtowne is 90% full and that the Container Store is suppose to open before Christmas.

I am glad to hear that Strode is being selective with tenants. Midtowne needs another restaurant. It will help with increasing traffic for the other stores in the center. I hope he brings something that will be new to the market. Pei Wei is great, and I hope they put one out in WLR, maybe at the Promenade...

I am glad to hear that Strode is being selective with tenants. Midtowne needs another restaurant. It will help with increasing traffic for the other stores in the center. I hope he brings something that will be new to the market. Pei Wei is great, and I hope they put one out in WLR, maybe at the Promenade...

I was told by the manager at P.F. Chang's about a year ago (before Pei Wei opened) that they were planning more than one for the market. I would think the Promenade would be great for two reasons: its relatively upscale and would be good fit, AND (perhaps more importantly), it isn't close to Pei Wei's existing location at Midtowne.

I was told by the manager at P.F. Chang's about a year ago (before Pei Wei opened) that they were planning more than one for the market. I would think the Promenade would be great for two reasons: its relatively upscale and would be good fit, AND (perhaps more importantly), it isn't close to Pei Wei's existing location at Midtowne.

I wonder if they would put one in NLR first and then maybe at the Promenade. Most chains open a restaurant in one city first and then the other before maybe opening multiple locations in LR and maybe Benton/Bryant or Conway.

I wouldn't be suprised if they did open a restaurant at Promenade. If they did, PF Changs would be about equal distance from both Pei Wei locations.

I wonder if they would put one in NLR first and then maybe at the Promenade. Most chains open a restaurant in one city first and then the other before maybe opening multiple locations in LR and maybe Benton/Bryant or Conway.

I wouldn't be suprised if they did open a restaurant at Promenade. If they did, PF Changs would be about equal distance from both Pei Wei locations.

I don't know...maybe I'm not familiar enough, but I don't see Pei Wei as being a great fit in any NLR neighborhoods.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't sure where to put this.

I just checked Whole Foods' website and it lists their only Arkansas location as a Rodney Parham road location which is of course Wild Oats. It's interesting just how fast they have updated. Has the Little Rock store begun the transition to Whole Foods? I wonder if they plan to relocate?

Whole Foods will give The Fresh Market a little Competition.

Edited by Hyacinth

I wasn't sure where to put this.

I just checked Whole Foods' website and it lists their only Arkansas location as a Rodney Parham road location which is of course Wild Oats. It's interesting just how fast they have updated. Has the Little Rock store begun the transition to Whole Foods? I wonder if they plan to relocate?

Whole Foods will give The Fresh Market a little Competition.

When I've been in the store recently, I've seen Whole Foods polo shirts on the cashiers. It is interesting to see how quickly the two seem to be merging. The last article I saw indicated that the merge had to be approved due to the potential for a monopoly. It is been a while since I read that, so maybe it is resolved.

IMO every Whole Foods store that I've been in is superior to The Fresh Market.

Relocation. Relocation.Relocation.

How about Park Avenue?

When I've been in the store recently, I've seen Whole Foods polo shirts on the cashiers. It is interesting to see how quickly the two seem to be merging. The last article I saw indicated that the merge had to be approved due to the potential for a monopoly. It is been a while since I read that, so maybe it is resolved.

IMO every Whole Foods store that I've been in is superior to The Fresh Market.

Relocation. Relocation.Relocation.

How about Park Avenue?

the merger was approved back in August and Whole Foods started closing some Wild Oats back in September. Good sign that the LR location is still open.

Link

But are they still considering a move to Midtowne Mall? And does any one know what is being built on the outparcel at Midtowne Mall at the corner of Pierce & Markham? Construction crew has been pretty busy there lately. Looks big enough to be a grocery store. (Please, God. Please.)

the merger was approved back in August and Whole Foods started closing some Wild Oats back in September. Good sign that the LR location is still open.

Link

But are they still considering a move to Midtowne Mall? And does any one know what is being built on the outparcel at Midtowne Mall at the corner of Pierce & Markham? Construction crew has been pretty busy there lately. Looks big enough to be a grocery store. (Please, God. Please.)

That construction is for the Container Store. Wild Oats was suppose to be in that spot but backed our when the merger with Whole Foods was first announced. It's a coup that Little Rock is getting a Container Store. There are several larger markets that don't have one.

Whole Foods was sold on a location at Promenade at Chenal but supposedly opted out when the merger was questionable, which is why Midtowne lost its store.

I would think either Promenade at Chenal or Park Ave would be desirable locations, though if I were WF I would put it in Park Avenue.

Whole Foods is vastly superior to Fresh Market and Wild Oats. A new store designed as a Whole Foods will be a coup. Their seafood selection and quality is ridiculous.

Bombay to Close. Link.

No surprise that this company is going under. Glad it'll be gone from Midtowne Mall, since it's not on the same level as Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma. But concerned about the vacant space. Well, maybe I can get some cheap bamboo coasters for 75% off at the going-out-of-business sale?

And what happened to all the restaurants that were supposed to come to this mall??

Bombay to Close. Link.

No surprise that this company is going under. Glad it'll be gone from Midtowne Mall, since it's not on the same level as Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma. But concerned about the vacant space. Well, maybe I can get some cheap bamboo coasters for 75% off at the going-out-of-business sale?

And what happened to all the restaurants that were supposed to come to this mall??

Not losing and sleep over Bombay either. I doubt Midtowne will struggle to fill the space, especially with Park Avenue in the future.

What happened to all the restuarants? It is a good question, and I am also anxious for more local options. The original site plans called for 5 restaruants. We got Pei Wei and Starbucks. Cantina Laredo and a local restaraunt were mentioned early for the development, but have not materialized. In the DOG interview about Park Avenue last week, Strode said he has plans to bring in two more restaraunt tenants. It sounds to me like Midtowne will eventually wind up with four restaruants.

• 1 month later...

LR voters approved a tax increase (65% in favor) for the construction of a Children's Library on the south side of I-630 across from War Memorial Park. The city already owns the land. Plans call for a 20,000 sq. ft. building at a cost of $10 million.

I am both excited by the library and by development south of I-630. Out library system has grown so much in the past 15 years.

I am both excited by the library and by development south of I-630. Out library system has grown so much in the past 15 years.

Absolutely. CALS is an exemplary community asset, what a great resource for the central Arkansas. Aside from the proliferation of GREAT libraries, just about without exception, each branch sets high architectural standards, and is probably the finest "civic" architectural work completed in decades (War Memorial Fitness Center is another great example. The new zoo entrance is the reciprocal...very poor.). Its sort of funny that of all the libraries, the Central Library in the River Market is arguably the least interesting!

Not losing and sleep over Bombay either. I doubt Midtowne will struggle to fill the space, especially with Park Avenue in the future.

What happened to all the restuarants? It is a good question, and I am also anxious for more local options. The original site plans called for 5 restaruants. We got Pei Wei and Starbucks. Cantina Laredo and a local restaraunt were mentioned early for the development, but have not materialized. In the DOG interview about Park Avenue last week, Strode said he has plans to bring in two more restaraunt tenants. It sounds to me like Midtowne will eventually wind up with four restaruants.

The vacant space on the corner next to Bombay has been getting some attention lately. Appears to be a restaurant under construction, though the glass has no sign or indication of what is to come. Anyone know?

In other news, appears the arsonist are back. Another house behind MidTowne (on North Pierce) burned last night. The seventh in the area. Only this one didn't appear to be vacant like the previous shacks.