Midtowne Little Rock

I drove through Midtowne at lunch today...

It looks nicer than it did a week ago. In addition to the major signage that has been up for a while, individual retailers have added details (more signage and trim) to the facade. It is going to have a very nice feel.

When I was a part of the Midtown Taskforce, we discussed the need for the Midtowne development to set the bar for whatever comes of the University Mall site. Ron Tabor was at the meetings, but I do not think we had any influence on the design. It just worked out this way. Imagine a developer getting a hold of the University Mall site now and attempting to complement or "out do" Park Plaza and Midtowne.

It would've been tougher to do much more with such a small site. I wish they could've had more street visibility but that was the site limitation. They certainly brought in the right stores to "set the bar".

I'd really like to see Strode Properties and UCR involved in future projects in the area. The stuff they've done in Dallas is of excellent quality as well.

It would've been tougher to do much more with such a small site. I wish they could've had more street visibility but that was the site limitation. They certainly brought in the right stores to "set the bar".

I'd really like to see Strode Properties and UCR involved in future projects in the area. The stuff they've done in Dallas is of excellent quality as well.

If you go back to the first announcements for a infill development for the corner of Markham and University, the proposed size of the site was about one third of the current project. Neighbors in the immediate vicinity opposed the project and the HRA asked the City to commission the Urban Land Institute Study. It was that study that recommended the size of the project be increased to make it economically viable.

If you go back to the first announcements for a infill development for the corner of Markham and University, the proposed size of the site was about one third of the current project. Neighbors in the immediate vicinity opposed the project and the HRA asked the City to commission the Urban Land Institute Study. It was that study that recommended the size of the project be increased to make it economically viable.

Sorry, I wasn't being negative about it - I just meant they got every retail SF they could out of that site. It's a shame more land wasn't available so the scope of it could've been increased even more. I think the demand was there for more retail square footage, they had no trouble finding tenants. I have a feeling the other shopping centers coming on line in LR will open with a few vacancies.

Imagine a developer getting a hold of the University Mall site now and attempting to complement or "out do" Park Plaza and Midtowne.

That's exactly what a developer will have to do to match what is going on with other retail in the area. If someone comes in a put in a second rate development, no one will shop there. I'm glad Park Plaza and Midtowne are raising the bar.

Edited by theman

Big article in today's (10/3/06) Democrat Gazette about MidTowne opening and the confirmed tenants. The article says "The commitments of all but one of the stores - closely guarded by Strode Properties of Dallas, the developer, since construction began 13 months ago - have been confirmed by the retailers themselves." The article then later states that Coach, an early anticipated tenant, could not be confirmed. I wonder if this is the closely guarded tenant they are referring to, or if (hopefully) it is an even bigger surprise. Any thoughts?

Big article in today's (10/3/06) Democrat Gazette about MidTowne opening and the confirmed tenants. The article says "The commitments of all but one of the stores - closely guarded by Strode Properties of Dallas, the developer, since construction began 13 months ago - have been confirmed by the retailers themselves." The article then later states that Coach, an early anticipated tenant, could not be confirmed. I wonder if this is the closely guarded tenant they are referring to, or if (hopefully) it is an even bigger surprise. Any thoughts?

Coach would fit nicely between Pottery Barn and White House Black Market

When does it "open"

Starbucks, Chicos, White House Black Market are open now. My guess is that new stores will continue have soft openings each weekend... not so sure about this weekend. But, after this one for sure.

Those were the three I remembered reading about. I was going to post this, but forgot about the tenants. Thanks turboturtle!

Anyone driven through this weekend? I think William-Sonoma may be soft opening this weekend.

Ok... I drove through today. Parking was fairly full.

J Jill and Jos Banks are open.

Williams-Sonoma and The Children's Place will open tomorrow.

Pei-Wei open 10:30 a.m. October 23.

dunno bout Bombay and Pottery Barn.

Starbucks was packed inside and out.. live music was being played outside.

Pottery Barn and Williams-Sonoma are officially open.

Lewis & Clark Outfitters is set to open in November. Gramercy Square restaurant plans to begin serving in December. Wild Oats Market will unveil its 27,000-SF home in early 2007, making it Midtowne's largest tenant.

I bet the value of the condos between Midtowne and Lee street and other property will increase at a faster rate than they would have without the development. How cool would it be to live there, and walk over for a little Pei Wei, Starbucks and grocery shopping at Wild Oats. very useful...

I bet the value of the condos between Midtowne and Lee street and other property will increase at a faster rate than they would have without the development. How cool would it be to live there, and walk over for a little Pei Wei, Starbucks and grocery shopping at Wild Oats. very useful...

Very good point! I wonder if the Summit House may have more relevance now....condos?

Also, the article in today's paper also stated that a store catering to hip, youth clothing is on its way...no name mentioned.

Edited by Architect

I thought I would go ahead and post a complete list of tenants:

Grand Cuisine Restaurant

Williams-Sonoma

Pottery Barn

Lewis & Clark Outfitters

Ann Taylor Loft

White House{sodEmoji.|}Black Market

Pei Wei Asian Diner

Harold's Ladie's Apparel

Francesca's

The Children's Place

Starbucks

J. Jill

Chico's

JoS A Bank

RK Collections

Grammercy Square

Bombay Company

Wild Oats Natural Marketplace

I thought I would go ahead and post a complete list of tenants:

Grand Cuisine Restaurant

Williams-Sonoma

Pottery Barn

Lewis & Clark Outfitters

Ann Taylor Loft

White House{sodEmoji.|}Black Market

Pei Wei Asian Diner

Harold's Ladie's Apparel

Francesca's

The Children's Place

Starbucks

J. Jill

Chico's

JoS A Bank

RK Collections

Grammercy Square

Bombay Company

Wild Oats Natural Marketplace

What is "Grand Cuisine"? I haven't heard that mentioned before.

Very good point! I wonder if the Summit House may have more relevance now....condos?

Also, the article in today's paper also stated that a store catering to hip, youth clothing is on its way...no name mentioned.

You know, the Summit House has always been pretty popular with the UAMS crowd, believe it or not. I know a few people that lived there and it's nice, clean, and safe. It could use a fresh exterior renovation, I guess, but it's pretty nice.

When does Wild Oats open, anyone?

I'll have to go check out Midtowne this weekend

I drove by tonight around 9:00 on my way back to the office....not too much traffic, but of course the stores were closing. Lots of people at Starbucks. Pei Wei can't open soon enough! Evolve actually has a pretty cool logo/sign at its location, which gives me hope that it might be a pretty nice store. Lewis & Clark looks further along than I had envisioned.

I drove by tonight around 9:00 on my way back to the office....not too much traffic, but of course the stores were closing. Lots of people at Starbucks. Pei Wei can't open soon enough! Evolve actually has a pretty cool logo/sign at its location, which gives me hope that it might be a pretty nice store. Lewis & Clark looks further along than I had envisioned.

My wife and I went on Tuesday night to "look around". Looking around usually costs $50-$100. At least she wasn't going to "shop". Anyway it was after 8:00 when we arrived, and there was probably about 40 or so other people looking around, the majority of which were under age 35. It's going to be a nice development. I wonder though if parking will be an issue on Saturdays and around the holidays?

I looked inside the future Wild Oats location, and maybe I lack the imagination, but it seemed a bit small. Are they going to add a "semi-second level" like Lewis and Clark appears to be doing?

My wife and I went on Tuesday night to "look around". Looking around usually costs $50-$100. At least she wasn't going to "shop". Anyway it was after 8:00 when we arrived, and there was probably about 40 or so other people looking around, the majority of which were under age 35. It's going to be a nice development. I wonder though if parking will be an issue on Saturdays and around the holidays?

I looked inside the future Wild Oats location, and maybe I lack the imagination, but it seemed a bit small. Are they going to add a "semi-second level" like Lewis and Clark appears to be doing?

Wild Oats is going into a building that has yet to be built.

Enough with the complaints about parking (you're not the only one to comment on this)... Large areas of black top for parking is what you enjoy out west and is affectionately called suburban. Midtowne is desgned to have an urban feel. You can't whip around all willy-nilly. Another way to look at it is that parking is a good problem to have.