Springdale, Arkansas

Mith242

LOWE'S OF SPRINGDALE, AR #1826

4233 WEST SUNSET AVENUE

Looks like theyll be right next to each other?

My only guess is that it will go where that one older looking building was. It wasn't right next to Lowe's but pretty close. On the other side of Lowe's will be the new Legacy Bank that's still under construction.

Springdale is currently active in the Sister Cities program after all. I knew the Springdale mayor was in China but apparently he was visiting Springdale's Sister City, Huaibei. I haven't looked anything up on it so I can't really say much about it. I'll look into it sometime. There was an article in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette . Sounds like early on Springdale wasn't too active and Huaibei wasn't too happy about it.

Does Fayetteville have any sister cities or any other city in NWA?

I know Bentonville is trying to get one from Africa, but not sure on any others.

I know at one point in the 90's both Fayetteville and Springdale had gotten sister cities in Central America. But I don't think anything ever happened with either one. Like I said before it sounded like Springdale wasn't do much with Huaibei for a while either. I haven't ever heard anything for Rogers. I'll try to research Fayetteville a little more and see what I find.

Springdale is currently active in the Sister Cities program after all. I knew the Springdale mayor was in China but apparently he was visiting Springdale's Sister City, Huaibei. I haven't looked anything up on it so I can't really say much about it. I'll look into it sometime. There was an article in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette . Sounds like early on Springdale wasn't too active and Huaibei wasn't too happy about it.

The city has nearly 2 million people and definitely seems pretty industrial, but I guess that is pretty much par for the course in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaibei

• 1 month later...

A great location in NWA is The I-540 and 412 Intersection in Springdale, but why isnt it developing on the west side? I know we have the new ball park comming in, and a possible water park, but look at all of that FLAT, PERFECT, TREELESS, 412 FRONTED property. DEVELOP IT!!!!! So much can happen for Springdale in that area. It could become another Pinnacle Hills easily, not to mention that Tontitown, despite not having sewer lines, is rapidly growing with subdivisions popping up everywhere. Hell, across the street from me used to be grazing land for cattle, now its being developed into two hundred and fifty homes, and they are building roads like crazy over here. Even north of 412 behind the new high school, They made a Boulevarde esque street, divided four lanes with trees and grass in the middle, FLAT LAND that is prime for development, that divided road connects Jones Rd to a stoplight intersection at 112 in Tontitown. Everything is laid out infront of them, but why cant they see it? And no one can say its because of land costs, because look at the land that sold on Dickson. I just hope im not the only one worried about this. I just want my city to thrive like the rest of NWA. Im sick of driving to Rogers to go see a movie, and im sick of driving to Fayetteville to shop and buy coffee!!

A great location in NWA is The I-540 and 412 Intersection in Springdale, but why isnt it developing on the west side? I know we have the new ball park comming in, and a possible water park, but look at all of that FLAT, PERFECT, TREELESS, 412 FRONTED property. DEVELOP IT!!!!! So much can happen for Springdale in that area. It could become another Pinnacle Hills easily, not to mention that Tontitown, despite not having sewer lines, is rapidly growing with subdivisions popping up everywhere. Hell, across the street from me used to be grazing land for cattle, now its being developed into two hundred and fifty homes, and they are building roads like crazy over here. Even north of 412 behind the new high school, They made a Boulevarde esque street, divided four lanes with trees and grass in the middle, FLAT LAND that is prime for development, that divided road connects Jones Rd to a stoplight intersection at 112 in Tontitown. Everything is laid out infront of them, but why cant they see it? And no one can say its because of land costs, because look at the land that sold on Dickson. I just hope im not the only one worried about this. I just want my city to thrive like the rest of NWA. Im sick of driving to Rogers to go see a movie, and im sick of driving to Fayetteville to shop and buy coffee!!

It seems like that area is starting to grow in that area. I suppose it's not booming like other areas of NWA. But the Har-Ber area seems to be slowly becoming a nice little spot. Overall though it's just going to be hard for Springdale to compete when it's got Fayetteville, which has always been a big draw, to the south. And then it's also got Rogers, which is now becoming a big draw in itself, to the north. It just seems that Springdale is having a hard time shedding it's bedroom community status. I hate to compare it to Pine Bluff but I think in some ways you have similar actions going on. Even when Springdale does have something nice open up, you still seem to have people who would prefer to go to Fayetteville or Rogers. Pine Bluff has had that problem being so close to Little Rock. I also think Springdale's haphazard little controlled growth in the past hasn't helped. Not trying to slam Springdale or anything. But it just seems to have a reputation of being a place to go do things.

A great location in NWA is The I-540 and 412 Intersection in Springdale, but why isnt it developing on the west side? I know we have the new ball park comming in, and a possible water park, but look at all of that FLAT, PERFECT, TREELESS, 412 FRONTED property. DEVELOP IT!!!!! So much can happen for Springdale in that area. It could become another Pinnacle Hills easily, not to mention that Tontitown.

I believe a Shopping/Restaurant District are coming to this area. Soon you guys will have something everyone else in the metro will be jealous of. I think the reason it hasn't been developed is because it's been in the hands of the George Family for so long. Keep in mind they just sold the land to the city this year. It probably had sentimental value to it and they weren't going to sell it because they weren't getting a good offer.

Both are very good points, and I know as well as everyone else that Springdale has become the "ghetto" of NWA, but the west side has ALOT of potential to become a nice area.

I certainly don't think that negatively of Springdale. I just see it more as a bedroom community, not anything really like a ghetto. I'm pretty sure all the NWA cities have areas of their city that isn't particularly nice or attractive.

I certainly don't think that negatively of Springdale. I just see it more as a bedroom community, not anything really like a ghetto. I'm pretty sure all the NWA cities have areas of their city that isn't particularly nice or attractive.

The problem is that that portion of Springdale makes up so much of its total area. Rogers has a decent size area that is a little blighted and Fayetteville south of 6th isn't so great (nor are parts of College), but a large amount of the core of Springdale isn't that great of a place. Now, it is a long shot from Orange Mound in Memphis or even the Asher and University area in Little Rock, but it is generally the worst part of NWA and that, kinda by default, makes it the closest we have to a ghetto community. Honestly, I think a large part of it is Springdale's complete disregard for urban planning 20 years ago coming to fruition and a lot of it is simply that it has the largest percentage of working class people in the area and really is a bedroom community. Ultimately though, if you were to take 10 people moving into the area and give them tours of the various major parts of NWA and asked them to rank the cities they would most like to live regardless of costs of homes, I doubt any would pick Springdale.

Yeah I do think Springdale's past decisions on their layout is haunting them now. I also wonder if it being so close to Fayetteville which has traditionally been the 'center' and the place to go in NWA has also hurt them as well. Just seems like it might be harder for the to establish something when it's so close and easy to go to Fayetteville instead. At least with Rogers and Bentonville there is a slightly longer drive and a different perception because it is a different county than Fayetteville.

Yeah I do think Springdale's past decisions on their layout is haunting them now. I also wonder if it being so close to Fayetteville which has traditionally been the 'center' and the place to go in NWA has also hurt them as well. Just seems like it might be harder for the to establish something when it's so close and easy to go to Fayetteville instead. At least with Rogers and Bentonville there is a slightly longer drive and a different perception because it is a different county than Fayetteville.

Downtown Sprindale is Fayetteville. They had an opportunity to work on changing that with the ballpark but they're working towards continuing sprawl. Springdale badly needs infill, as everyone keeps saying. The other problem in Springdale is mixed zoning.

The Springdale Planning Commission approved largescale development plans Tuesday for a 50, 000-square-foot building at 1013 Jefferson St for the Triple T Foods Corp. Triple T Foods will shut down its factory off Huntsville Ave. as Springdale prepares to expand Huntsville Avenue to five lanes from U. S. 71 B to Arkansas 265. Huntsville Ave. is one of three east-west corridors being expanded as part of the Springdale street improvement project that was approved in 2003. Springdale has filed condemnation on Triple T Foods property adjacent to Huntsville Avenue, and the two parties are scheduled to appear in Washington County Court. Triple T also has a facility in Rogers which won't be affected by this move. I've heard that the expansion should be finished by 2008.

• 3 months later...

Anyone see that the state's first billingual post office opened in Springdale a few days ago? The post office is off Old Missouri Road and is complete with a full post office with both English and Spanish services. Kind of a neat concept.

Yeah I saw that in today's paper. They also mentioned other future locations in Siloam Springs, Ft Smith, Hope and southwest Little Rock. I'm a little surprised they aren't considering a Rogers location as well.

That reminds me of another story I saw recently. There was a backlash against a Dallas pizza company for accepting pesos as payment as well. While it's not too uncommon to places along the border (Canadian as well) there are places further away that are experimenting with the idea. Although I think the further you get from the border the bigger the outcry there will be.

Odd they would choose Little Rock over Rogers for a location. Rogers has a hispanic population of around 20% of the city. I'm sure they'll build one within a few years.

I think they just put one in each region, figuring someone could drive from Rogers to Springdale, etc. Rogers would seem a better location than any of the others otherwise.

Southwest Little Rock is where most of the Hispanics in Central Ark live, though.

Hope is where a lot of migrant farm laborers stay and work seasonally.

I think they just put one in each region, figuring someone could drive from Rogers to Springdale, etc. Rogers would seem a better location than any of the others otherwise.

Southwest Little Rock is where most of the Hispanics in Central Ark live, though.

Hope is where a lot of migrant farm laborers stay and work seasonally.

Maybe Hope is bigger than DeQueen, but I figured it would be selected first for that area of the state.