Springdale, Arkansas

Mith242

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't hear many details but KNWA reported that Springdale narrowly passed new building ordinances that will finally start putting a few restrictions on developments and buildings. One of the few I've heard mentioned is color. Although I don't know what colors are approved and such. A bit late but still good to see Springdale taking some steps in this matter. It will take a long time to fix a lot of the mistakes made in the past but they're finally moving forward. KNWA also mentioned that Springdale has also passed water conservation similar to what Rogers and Bentonville have. Although from what I understand they don't have the problems that the Benton County cities are having because of lack of pipes to move the water. I've a bit puzzled but it's still nice to see the areas of NWA taking the water issue more seriously.

• 2 months later...

Road construction on Huntsville Rd and Old Missouri Rd is taking longer than expected. Sounds like they've been having a hard time buying out all the property needed to widen both those roads in east Springdale. Costs estimates have also gone up from $21.5 Mil to $27.2 Mil. When it's all said and done both roads will be widened to 5 lane roads.

This is a little off, but after reading this thread I was curious: has the NWA metro area considered renaming some of their older streets as they become major thoroughfares and the area continues to grow? No offense meant here, but where else can one of your city's major streets be called 'Wagon Wheel Road?' I just found that kind of funny.

NWA hasn't considered renaming streets yet.

One of the most prominant roads in Rogers being developed for Mixed Use is called Horsebarn.

I suppose one of these days the roads will be renamed, but for now they are sticking with the names. It could just be for culture and tradition for now.

This is a little off, but after reading this thread I was curious: has the NWA metro area considered renaming some of their older streets as they become major thoroughfares and the area continues to grow? No offense meant here, but where else can one of your city's major streets be called 'Wagon Wheel Road?' I just found that kind of funny.

:lol: Yeah we do have some interesting names alright. But I'm sure there are those who aren't concered about how 'urban' the area seems to others. You also have to keep in mind much of this area wasn't very highly populated. It's been some almost explosive growth going on up here. I imagine it will take a little time for everything to catch up. Who knows as the area becomes more 'urban' maybe they'll finally try to change the name. :D

My other question, which I forgot to ask in that post, was going to be, "But does this really matter to people in your area?" Because if the people in the area don't care, it's not a big deal. I was just curious is all, because I found it pretty funny that a major thoroughfare would have such a country name.

Yeah honestly I don't know if a lot of people think that much about it. Most that do are probably the newcomers. I think most people used to the area just know it as that and don't think that much about it. I guess in some ways it's a tie to the past for the area.

Yeah honestly I don't know if a lot of people think that much about it. Most that do are probably the newcomers. I think most people used to the area just know it as that and don't think that much about it. I guess in some ways it's a tie to the past for the area.

Yeah I could definitely see that. Some people probably just want to hang on to some reminder of the way things used to be, even if it's just the name of a street.

Yeah I could definitely see that. Some people probably just want to hang on to some reminder of the way things used to be, even if it's just the name of a street.

Yeah, besides you trying to say there's something wrong with wagon wheels. :lol: Just kidding I know what you meant.

Yeah, besides you trying to say there's something wrong with wagon wheels. :lol: Just kidding I know what you meant.

What can I say, I'm a city boy!? Actually there are a few streets in the neighborhood I grew up in which are now inner-city streets, but they're called 'Mary Ellen,' 'Elsa Jane,' and 'Swan Lake,' so those are pretty country names as well. And Swan Lake is actually about to be widened from a 2-lane rural roat to a 5-lane major thoroughfare itself.

What I want to know is when are they going to name a major thoroughfare after Martin Luther King Jr? Every major city I've lived in has one. MLK Blvd runs the entire north-south length of St. Petersburg, FL.

One of my favorites is Suits Us Drive in Bella Vista. Not quite a classic country road name like those found in Fayetteville but still funny.

Why am I not surprised? :lol: What a name. It suits us just fine, so we don't care what them thar city folks might think. We're gonna name it "Suits Us Drive!"

What I want to know is when are they going to name a major thoroughfare after Martin Luther King Jr? Every major city I've lived in has one. MLK Blvd runs the entire north-south length of St. Petersburg, FL.

Fayetteville has a Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Blvd, i know it intersects with 6th st or its the secondary name for 6th st, its weird, but i just remember seeing blue signs everywhere along 6th st.

Id have to say my favorite street name is Accident Rd in far north Springdale. :D

Fayetteville has a Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Blvd, i know it intersects with 6th st or its the secondary name for 6th st, its weird, but i just remember seeing blue signs everywhere along 6th st.

Id have to say my favorite street name is Accident Rd in far north Springdale. :D

Yeah they tried to rename 6th St and all the businesses complained that it would cause problems so the city made it so that both names apply for the street. But of course everyone still calls it 6th St because that's what it's been all these years. But there are signs up.