Springdale, Arkansas

Mith242

It's not on the Web yet, but the new baseball stadium will be named Arvest Ballpark and the bank has a 10-year agreement for the naming rights.

Thanks for the update Andrew. I'm sorta glad they'll have naming rights. Not that I don't think some of the other big companies wouldn't be suitable.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been forgetting to mention some other Springdale news recently. Springdale has recently tried to make some more changes to their image. They're now trying to make new businesses 'fix up' their locations a bit. Some think it's about time that Springdale did more on it's look and image. Others wonder if it's not already too late, or if this is going to end up discouraging some future businesses. Springdale has been known as a rather 'open' place for businesses to go because other cities having stricter ordinances and such like Fayetteville. And now Springdale seems to be slowly starting to head down that path as well.

In other news Tyson recently opened it's $45 Mil Discovery Center near it's HQ. It's supposed to be a research and development building that will also allow customers to 'interact' with the company. I guess if you have some ideas on chicken or other meats, that's where you go.

I've been forgetting to mention some other Springdale news recently. Springdale has recently tried to make some more changes to their image. They're now trying to make new businesses 'fix up' their locations a bit. Some think it's about time that Springdale did more on it's look and image. Others wonder if it's not already too late, or if this is going to end up discouraging some future businesses. Springdale has been known as a rather 'open' place for businesses to go because other cities having stricter ordinances and such like Fayetteville. And now Springdale seems to be slowly starting to head down that path as well.

In other news Tyson recently opened it's $45 Mil Discovery Center near it's HQ. It's supposed to be a research and development building that will also allow customers to 'interact' with the company. I guess if you have some ideas on chicken or other meats, that's where you go.

I think it's great that Springdale is taking steps to improve it's look. Jesse Core may be the best thing to happen to city government in Springdale in it's history. I hope that he survives the next election and more like-minded people are elected to the city council. It is possible to be business friendly and also have a nice looking city. Those stricter ordinances help everybody in the long run.

I think it's great that Springdale is taking steps to improve it's look. Jesse Core may be the best thing to happen to city government in Springdale in it's history. I hope that he survives the next election and more like-minded people are elected to the city council. It is possible to be business friendly and also have a nice looking city. Those stricter ordinances help everybody in the long run.

The bad thing is that Springdale has allowed so much uncontrolled, unrestricted development to already happen. I'm afraid even with the best of intentions now that it's going to be pretty hard to fix all those mistakes. That and you wonder what happens when Springdale becomes known an 'unfriendly' to business like Fayetteville is. Does that mean more businesses go up north to Benton County or perhaps start considering Fayetteville again?

They have a lot of paid taste tests out there, some associated with the UA, some with outside marketing companies. I did one on a lark and it was kinda fun.

I'm glad I read this thread all the way through because based on earlier comments I was about to think Springdale was an undesirable place to be.

Springdale has some bad planning issues, but I don't think I'd say it's worse than a lot of other Arkansas cities. I admit it may be looked down a bit by the other NWA cities. But Springdale has also added more people than any other NWA city as well. Overall though it does seem more of a bedroom community. Most people think of Fayetteville and Rogers/Bentonville if they want to go do something. It's unrestricted growth in the past has led to some problems it's going to have to deal with now. But you can still buy a house there cheaper than just about anywhere in NWA though.

The day after I wrote about it, they've turned on the sign for the Value Place hotel at Elm Springs & I-540...just like the one in Bentonville, that thing is BRIGHT. The Kum and Go store has strobe "blinkers" on its highway sign also at that interchange.

Elm Springs isn't a sleepy exit any more.

Also, now that the building is rising from the ground security lighting is now on at Arvest field...giving us a very small taste of how that area is also now "lit".

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah a bit odd about Fayetteville. Although sometimes Fayetteville seems to do their own thing before joining these other organizations. Seems like there was something else that was sorta similar situation like this. But anyway, yeah this should be a good thing for Springdale. I'm pretty sure when you think about Springdale, trees aren't what you think about. In fact probably the opposite.

If they start planting trees in Springdale, how will we see all the big tall signs??????????

I read in NWANEWS.com on saturday about the Springdale leaders getting together at Mt. Magazine to do some prioritization. There was a poll among the attendees about what kind of jobs they would like most to attract: technology jobs. I guess it is on everyone's wishlist. Thinking about it, it is one of my hopes that some of the "outsourcing" that happens to other countries can happen on a smaller scale to some lower income parts of the states. It has some benefits.

I read in NWANEWS.com on saturday about the Springdale leaders getting together at Mt. Magazine to do some prioritization. There was a poll among the attendees about what kind of jobs they would like most to attract: technology jobs. I guess it is on everyone's wishlist. Thinking about it, it is one of my hopes that some of the "outsourcing" that happens to other countries can happen on a smaller scale to some lower income parts of the states. It has some benefits.

This kind of statement is becoming more prevalent in the politics and talk of our city leaders. This worries me. It sounds good, but yet it sounds so bad and shallow. It reminds me of the national concern by the president in the recent years about the confidence of consumers to spend money and how that helps our econony. It's just a double-edged sword in my mind.

Springdale Leaders Want Tech Jobs - Chickens need not apply

With the country going into a recession and a full-blown depression on its way I wouldn't be counting on retail too much. Technology jobs... mainly helpdesk jobs will remain overseas where pay is still 1/10th of what the average US helpdesk worker is paid. Overall, Springdale and the US have to overcome a pretty grim future.

But hey, its not the end of the world yet.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a good article in Monday's Democrat - Gazette about Springdale's road bond program and it's progress. A large part of it was devorted to the Southern Corridor project, which is the 5.6 mile, $38 million multilane road being built between Butterfield Coach Road on the east end and 48th Street on the west end. It is being built with a median with turn lanes at intersections. It's interesting to compare this project with Fayetteville's Crossover Road project that is planned jointly with the state highway department. That project was for a little over 3 miles at a cost of $42 million.

The most interesting part of the article deals with a possible exit off I540 connecting to Oaklawn Drive, which is the street being widened at that spot to be part of the Southern Corridor. During the recent CityFuture II meeting of Springdale city leaders it was agreed that an interchange at that spot was a high priority. Other area planners also have came forward to express a need for better access there to serve southwest Springdale, especially the area around the new Arvest Park. As always, paying for the project is the problem. Springdale will have to contribute to help move the the project along. Hopefully private investors wanting to develop the area will help also.

There is also more discussion about a regional mobility authority for the two-county area. Regional planners have already approached Washington County about it and plan to talk to Benton County about it soon. It sounds like there is lot of support locally for it and the money raised could help leverage state and federal funds for area programs.

There was a good article in Monday's Democrat - Gazette about Springdale's road bond program and it's progress. A large part of it was devorted to the Southern Corridor project, which is the 5.6 mile, $38 million multilane road being built between Butterfield Coach Road on the east end and 48th Street on the west end. It is being built with a median with turn lanes at intersections. It's interesting to compare this project with Fayetteville's Crossover Road project that is planned jointly with the state highway department. That project was for a little over 3 miles at a cost of $42 million.

The most interesting part of the article deals with a possible exit off I540 connecting to Oaklawn Drive, which is the street being widened at that spot to be part of the Southern Corridor. During the recent CityFuture II meeting of Springdale city leaders it was agreed that an interchange at that spot was a high priority. Other area planners also have came forward to express a need for better access there to serve southwest Springdale, especially the area around the new Arvest Park. As always, paying for the project is the problem. Springdale will have to contribute to help move the the project along. Hopefully private investors wanting to develop the area will help also.

There is also more discussion about a regional mobility authority for the two-county area. Regional planners have already approached Washington County about it and plan to talk to Benton County about it soon. It sounds like there is lot of support locally for it and the money raised could help leverage state and federal funds for area programs.

Yeah I saw that and forgot to mention it. Springdale really could use another access point to I-540. Even when the 412 bypass is built that won't help access to the southern part of the city. But anyway it will be good to get some other major roads completed in Springdale. Seems like most traffic sticks to just two roads, 412 and 71.

Thats very interesting to say the least.

Crossover road is overpriced by the state for some odd reason. It doesn't make sense.

I would think that Oaklawn would be even more expensive per mile than Crossover because sections of it are basically being made from scratch, whereas Crossover is already an existing road with existing ROWs.

Perhaps traffic flow and detours have something to do with Crossover's bigger price tag.

Thats very interesting to say the least.

Crossover road is overpriced by the state for some odd reason. It doesn't make sense.

I would think that Oaklawn would be even more expensive per mile than Crossover because sections of it are basically being made from scratch, whereas Crossover is already an existing road with existing ROWs.

Perhaps traffic flow and detours have something to do with Crossover's bigger price tag.

Maybe the real estate around Crossover is simply more expensive? I dunno.

M

• 6 months later...

I just found out UPS opened a new $12.5 Mil facility in Springdale. It's about two and a half miles away from it's previous location. The new facility doubles the capacity of the old one. I've already noticed, I order a lot of things through UPS and I get things a lot earlier in the day now.

• 2 weeks later...

Springdale City Council approves BILLBOARD BAN: :o

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/227038/

I'm pretty sure this is what is commonly referred to as a sea change.

I heard that on NPR this morning. It made me laugh, to be honest. Clearly it's a good move, but at this point, who's going to notice? The entire Springdale landscape is already littered with billboards that aren't going anywhere.