Springdale, Arkansas

Mith242

I was very surprised by that- Springdale has really been hit hard by the national recession and downturn in the local economy. I wonder if the fact that the last millage increase request was turned down didn't maybe help this one pass. When the school district took the athletic facilities out of the request it made this one seem more truly needed. If they had went to the voters with this request the first time it might not have been passed. Either way it is clear that new schools are needed so good for them.

• 1 month later...

A little while back Fayetteville was in the news because of new redistricting plans. That was on the House side of the Arkansas Congress. Now they're looking at redrawing the lines for the Senate. Because of population gains NWA is getting a new Senate seat. But now there seems like there's going to be a fight over which city gets the new seat. Springdale is wanting to set up a new seat around the city. And it does have good arguments. It's the second biggest city in the metro. For that matter it's not that far behind Fayetteville. But Bentonville is also looking to grab that seat for itself. It's obviously not anywhere close to being the biggest city in the metro. But we all know Bentonville wields a lot of power because of Walmart and the Waltons. Looks like a decision won't be made for a while. But it will be interesting to see who wins out. I think Springdale is more willing to compromise. Their biggest issue is they don't want the city split up into different districts. There's quite a few maps out there already and it's very possible the eventual plan that wins may not have even been made yet.

A little while back Fayetteville was in the news because of new redistricting plans. That was on the House side of the Arkansas Congress. Now they're looking at redrawing the lines for the Senate. Because of population gains NWA is getting a new Senate seat. But now there seems like there's going to be a fight over which city gets the new seat. Springdale is wanting to set up a new seat around the city. And it does have good arguments. It's the second biggest city in the metro. For that matter it's not that far behind Fayetteville. But Bentonville is also looking to grab that seat for itself. It's obviously not anywhere close to being the biggest city in the metro. But we all know Bentonville wields a lot of power because of Walmart and the Waltons. Looks like a decision won't be made for a while. But it will be interesting to see who wins out. I think Springdale is more willing to compromise. Their biggest issue is they don't want the city split up into different districts. There's quite a few maps out there already and it's very possible the eventual plan that wins may not have even been made yet.

Actually...the Fayetteville Finger debate was about our US Representative- this is about the state government districts. That idea about having a district with Bentonville as it's center just because WM is there is distasteful at best and sleazy at worst. I can't believe WM would even want that type of special treatment- image-wise it would be a public relations disaster. Because of Springdale's population it should have a district centered on it. Afterall- it is the population changes that are driving the redistricting and not what corporation is where.

Actually...the Fayetteville Finger debate was about our US Representative- this is about the state government districts. That idea about having a district with Bentonville as it's center just because WM is there is distasteful at best and sleazy at worst. I can't believe WM would even want that type of special treatment- image-wise it would be a public relations disaster. Because of Springdale's population it should have a district centered on it. Afterall- it is the population changes that are driving the redistricting and not what corporation is where.

You're right. Thanks for the correction. I have to agree with you in that you'd think population should matter in who gets the new seat. But we also know from experience that Bentonville wields a lot of power and often times tends to get what it wants. So to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Bentonville does end up getting the seat. Despite Springdale's size, it often times does tend to get overlooked in NWA.

Now surprisingly, there's talk of making a Hispanic district. Taking east Springdale and adding on some of the Hispanic heavy sections of Rogers. I'm a little surprised this seems to be getting a decent amount of momentum. First it would split the city of Springdale which is what the city has said it doesn't want. And second I would imagine other areas of NWA would probably prefer to get the section themselves, in particular Bentonville.

Now surprisingly, there's talk of making a Hispanic district. Taking east Springdale and adding on some of the Hispanic heavy sections of Rogers. I'm a little surprised this seems to be getting a decent amount of momentum. First it would split the city of Springdale which is what the city has said it doesn't want. And second I would imagine other areas of NWA would probably prefer to get the section themselves, in particular Bentonville.

A Hispanic majority district would fulfill the "community of interest" requirement although that term has such a broad range of meaning that most anything could fulfill it. The actual community of Springdale citizens would fulfill that requirement and also fulfill the "political boundary" requirement. Given the growth rate of the Hispanic community in NWA a district centered on Springdale and a second centered on Rogers may both be Hispanic majority in 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Springdale could be growing some more in the near future. They're looking into annexing some land on the north side of the city in Benton County. There's about 2,500 acres that could potentially be involved. Looks like Springdale could be making a serious run at being Arkansas's third biggest city.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I can't say I'm too surprised. But after all the talk of having the new district focus on Springdale, then talk of making a Hispanic district. Now it seems the plan being mainly pushed now is the one with Bentonville being the focus of the new district. Although Bentonville isn't the biggest city in the NWA metro. We all know it has a lot of clout. But from what I can see it does seem like most of Springdale is kept together and was put with east Washington County. Nothing has been finalized, but this is the plan that appears to be being pushed.

Governor_SenateFSMNWA.jpg

Yeah, it sounds like the new Springdale/Rogers House district won't be majority Hispanic but close to it.

The new Senate district will be solely Bentonville based with western Benton and Washington counties together represented by another senate seat.

I guess no one should be surprised considering the community of interest requirement that is being used- the Bentonville district will have a strong common interest.

• 9 months later...

Demolition work for NW Medical Center's expansion is well underway. The Charlesworth Building is gone as several other older buildings between the hospital and 71B. They are removing the concrete parking lots and grinding them up on site. I'm not sure what they are using the material for but there is a lot of it. Groundbreaking for the new construction is soon and the project should make a huge positive change in that area.

• 3 months later...

Springdale's bond issues for roads, parks and improved fire protection passed Tuesday. This means that the Tyson Parkway interchange with I-540 will be built much soooner than it would have if the bonds for it had been voted down. The new interchange is what is needed to give the area around Arvest Park momentum for development. I read that Love's stores is looking at locating at the interchange and NWA Community College is also looking at locating a new campus close by. That area should see a lot of change the next few years.

Edited by zman9810

Springdale's bond issues for roads, parks and improved fire protection passed Tuesday. This means that the Tyson Parkway interchange with I-540 will be built much soooner than it would have if the bonds for it had been voted down. The new interchange is what is needed to give the area around Arvest Park momentum for development. I read that Love's stores is looking at locating at the interchange and NWA Community College is also looking at locating a new campus close by. That area should see a lot of change the next few years.

Yeah I think a new interchange there will certainly help fuel more growth for Springdale.

• 1 month later...

I have noticed stakes along Main Dr. in Johnson from the railroad tracks to I540. Are there any plans to widen this road?

Oh yeah- that is a major project that has been in the works for years. I think it is actually called Greathouse Springs Road at the point on the west end where the improvements will start and connect to a new section leading to Johnson Road in Springdale. It has been talked about ever since Tyson bought IBP and built the major expansion at the corporate office several years ago. At one time it called for a 5 lane road for all of it but I think it has been scaled back to a 3 lane road. I did hear recently that bids came in lower than expected so more money will be available and more improvements can be made. Edited by zman9810

• 2 months later...

This is pretty huge for the city of Springdale...  Not only will they get a pretty big revenue bump but they should also see added development around the site.  New strip malls, fast food, etc... Which should lead to a second revenue bump.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the west side of Elm Springs and I540 evolve in 5 or 10 years to look like what the east side of Pleasant Grove & I540 looks like today.  NWA real estate is definitely making a comeback!!!

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like NW Medical Center's expansion is complete- they have opened the new parking lot in front. I have some before photos and wil take some current ones to post soon. The parking lot has a lot of trees and should make that stretch of 71B much nicer althogh there is no traffic control for the new entrance. They may lead to some serious problems since it leads to the new ER.

• 1 month later...

Noticed an article this morning on nwaonline.com about widening the Elm Springs overpass on 540.  They mentioned the new Supercenter that's going in, but what was interesting is that they said that other businesses were in the process of buying land in the area...  Any speculation on what's going to follow Walmart on the west side of I-540?

Noticed an article this morning on nwaonline.com about widening the Elm Springs overpass on 540.  They mentioned the new Supercenter that's going in, but what was interesting is that they said that other businesses were in the process of buying land in the area...  Any speculation on what's going to follow Walmart on the west side of I-540?

Bank, fast food