Springdale, Arkansas

Mith242

Be sure to Include Neighborhoood Markets and Sam's Clubs, which would make NWA have 11 Wal-Mart establishments in the 4 cities alone. Then there's the Pineville Supercenter, Siloam Springs Supercenter, and the future Bentonville Sams Club and future Centerton Supercenter.

Yeah I have to say I'm been surprised how heavily Walgreens has been hitting our market. Guess things are working out for them here.

Don't be too surprised. Your metro area has now surpassed my metro area in population, and we have 8 Walgreens stores as well. I expect to see more Walgreens stores pop up in your area as time goes on.

For the record: I love Walgreens.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Don't be too surprised. Your metro area has now surpassed my metro area in population, and we have 8 Walgreens stores as well. I expect to see more Walgreens stores pop up in your area as time goes on.

I guess I need to check them out more. I think I've only been in one a couple of times.

I like Walgreens as well.

They offer all the necessities, plus a photo center, pharmacuticals, and convienance.

I'm sure a few more will pop in the metro, like probably Centerton and one in Bentonville.

I guess I need to check them out more. I think I've only been in one a couple of times.

My mom came down for a visit from St. Petersburg, FL and she made me shop at Walgreens. I was amazed at how good their prices are and their own private labels blow away Wal-Marts own private labels and cost less. Plus Walgreens has great sales and promotions. They just don't have the groceries or general merchandise selection that Wal-Mart has.

My mom came down for a visit from St. Petersburg, FL and she made me shop at Walgreens. I was amazed at how good their prices are and their own private labels blow away Wal-Marts own private labels and cost less. Plus Walgreens has great sales and promotions. They just don't have the groceries or general merchandise selection that Wal-Mart has.

Do you guys have CVS/Pharmacy as well? I like them also, and they're even cheaper than Walgreens. Walgreens' stores and CVS stores are both designed well from the outside, but on the interior Walgreens is nicer. CVS bought ECkerd drugs in '04 or '05, and since that time they have been closing older stores they acquired and building brand-new stores to rival Walgreens. They're doing an excellent job, too, with their store designs.

^

No, we don't have CVS yet, but we have another kind of deal called USA Drug, that's pretty much a regional spinoff of Walgreens.

Hey, I remember USA Drug! We used to have a chain called K&B Drugs way back, and then in the late 80s or early 90s USA Drug bought them out. Now all those stores have become Rite-Aid pharmacies. There's even still an old drug store building in Shreveport that carries the USA Drug name, although the actual store is long-gone and the building is empty. My mother still calles the Rite-Aid by her house K&B sometimes, and USA Drug other time, although it hasn't been under either name in nearly a decade now.

I would expect you guys to get CVS before long as well. Since buying out Eckerd, they have been expanding rapidly throughout the country and are now the largest pharmacy chain in the nation. Before they bought out Eckerd Drugs, the only CVS stores I'd been to were up in the midwest, specifically Illinois. I'm really glad to have them, because on says when price matters, they're a good alternative to Walgreens, and where there's a Walgreens there's usually a CVS on the same corner. There's one corner in particular, near one of my favorite Chinese restaurants, where there's a CVS on one corner, a Walgreens across the street on another corner, and a Rite-Aid on the third corner. If not for the Circle-K gas station being on the other corner, there would probably be another pharmacy on that corner. How strange, but it's definitely a good thing for competition. Probably some of the best competition I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone know there was a fresh seafood market in Springdale? To be honest I don't know if any other city in NWA even has one. Anyway it was recently bought out by the owners of the Cafe Rue Orleans here in Fayetteville. Sounds like they plan to keep things mainly the way they were but are wanting to add a bit of 'Orleans' to it. I've been getting into some cajun/creole cuisine lately. Looks like I may have to rely on Springdale even more for when I'm wanting to cook. I already have to go up there sometimes to pick up ingredients for Mexican food that I can't find down here in Fayetteville.

Wow, I didn't know that.

Can you give a location as to where it is?

Looks like 2003 S Thompson. It had been called Rick's Louisiana Seafood but will now be called Maudie's Seafood Market. I'd certainly like to go and check it out sometime. I don't know of any other fresh seafood markets offhand. Obviously not including supermarkets and such.

^

No, we don't have CVS yet, but we have another kind of deal called USA Drug, that's pretty much a regional spinoff of Walgreens.

USA Drug is a Pine-Bluff owned pharmacy chain. Walgreen's and USA Drug are competitors in LR with the former taking a bigger niche of the market. Prices on groceries and toiletries at Walgreen's and CVS are low but this is offset by very high drug prices, especially compared to Wal-Mart. If you have insurance and only pay a copay you many not notice but there is a big difference between the two.

I have to admit the pharmacy chains probably are hurting Wal-Mart and convenience stores in urban markets as they are cheap and located in nearly every neighborhood and many are open 24 hours. I think they make almost all of their revenue off of meds, though.

Just to give a clarification on the seafood market. It is the really small little building at the southeast corner of 71 and 412. It is painted red if I remember correctly.

Are you talking about 412 east? I thought there was a grocery store on the southeast corner of Thompson and Sunset (412 west).

Are you talking about 412 east? I thought there was a grocery store on the southeast corner of Thompson and Sunset (412 west).

Yea, I'm sorry. 412E... I internally think of 412W as Sunset and 412E as 412...I guess Robinson would have been a better description. It's nestled between two hotels I think. It's really small, maybe 15'x20', would be easy to miss.

• 2 months later...

I'm still thinking this Office Depot might be on the west side of I-540. Legacy Bank is going in just east of Home Depot that itk mentioned. Now there was one building not too far west of Home Depot that didn't look like is being used for a whole lot. Maybe they could have bought that and going to tear it down. Otherwise I just don't see much land available. Now if it was just off Sunset on a little side road I could see that perhaps.