Center Place

cwetteland

Actually, EA just opened their new corporate office in Maitland on Maitland Blvd by Charles Schwabb. From what I understand they signed a 5 or 7 year contract for the space. If you drive by you'll see their initials in blue posted on the building.

Not THAT EA (Tiberon) we're talking about the Parent in LA.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting a headache just looking at it.

It reminds a little of Paris' La Defense in the organization of the buildings and style. As much as I love La Defense, I don't know if it's the the best idea for our newest project to resemble another that was conceived in the late 1950's and early 60's.

EDIT: I should add that I'm still taking this with a grain of salt. Arquitectonica does some amazing work, so I'll hold off serious judgement until more serious renderings appear. This still looks extremely conceptual to me.

Interesting... I can't wait to see a little more detailed renderings. I wonder if the facades are more glass or concrete? If it's glass I think I like it. If it's concrete I think it will look like a huge complex resembling the downtown library, and that's one of my least favorite buildings in downtown.

Ahh, I remember where I have seen this before:

EP-2.jpg

EP-6.jpg

Not to rain on y'all's parade, but this brutalist junk architecture has been done before (in Albany, NY here) and it almost always fails miserably. Perhaps this will bridge the gap between Rockefeller Plaza and the Empire State Plaza, but I doubt it. It is clearly a product of the 50s and 60s, not exactly decades known for urban design excellence. The critics will love it, but the people will hate it. Thus, without any redeaming beauty (or apparent street interaction), it will become desolate and unused over time.

Ahh, I remember where I have seen this before:

Not to rain on y'all's parade, but this brutalist junk architecture has been done before (in Albany, NY here) and it almost always fails miserably. Perhaps this will bridge the gap between Rockefeller Plaza and the Empire State Plaza, but I doubt it. It is clearly a product of the 50s and 60s, not exactly decades known for urban design excellence. The critics will love it, but the people will hate it. Thus, without any redeaming beauty (or apparent street interaction), it will become desolate and unused over time.

First, the Albany campus that you reference is, literally, about 20 times the size of the PBLT site.

Second, the architecture suggested for this site has far more in common, at least in this preliminary phase, with the work of, say, OMA/Rem Koolhaas.

If PBLT is able to execute the architecture anywhere near the level of an OMA project then this project has the potential for becoming one of this countries most significant urban developments in years...the potential.

oma3.jpg

oma4.jpg

oma2.jpg

oma1.jpg

TheatreOMA.jpg

Third, Harrison's Plaza in Albany is really a quite wonderful space regardless of whether or not the individual buildings that line it are too imposing and austere. Orlando should be so lucky to have a large urban plaza such as the Empire State Plaza.

alb4.jpg

alb2.jpg

alb1.jpg

Archived