Center Place

cwetteland

Like it or love, I can just about guarantee you all that this puts Orlando on the architectural map.

Hi! I'm new. I agree, PBLT (peanut butter+lettuce & tomato sandwich?!) will put Orlando on the architectural map. But for good reasons, or bad? That's the question.

On the other hand, the people of San Francisco hated the "pyramid" building when it went up. But that building now defines SF the world over. I think this design teeters precariously on "really love it" or "really hate it". I'm still trying to make up my mind. I need more details before I decide. :unsure:

Now that I've said that, I'm going to make me a sandwich. :yahoo:

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From this view, your back would be to the Courthouse.

...I think.

Yes.

And perhaps the short front would be a hotel??

No.

The pictures will probably change quite a bit. In fact what your looking at now is an evolution, if you will, of previous models. On many levels this will be one of the biggest things to happen downtown. Regardless of whether one likes or dislikes the architecture, what and who it is bringing downtown is a GIANT leap in the right direction.

OK , i give it my approval. :thumbsup: but waiting for more refined renderings. This looks like the lost city in Planet of the apes with all the foliage overgrown.

Also, looking at the base of these buildings you don't see much interaction with the sidewalk or the plaza. I thought PBLT was all about that interaction. I'm sure these pics are a bit conceptual still.

camillo site: I realize that the Albany Plaza is far larger than this one and this is why I said that the Orlando one has a marginal chance of success because it will be on a smaller scale and thus more intimate. The Albany Plaza destroyed the neighborhoods around the capital area and is frequently cited as an example of failed brutalist architecture. Posting a few pictures of a concert in the Plaza does not disprove what I have said. And, the fact remains that people do not generally flock to ugly buildings. The liberal, architecture-snob set will love it because they have to be perpetually open minded to such nonsense, but most people will dislike it. This is my concern.

Look fellas, I hope I am proven wrong. I am just saying that this type architecture doesnt have a good track record and I personally dont like it. I dont live in Orlando so, if y'all love it, then I guess it will not bother you aesthetically. As for whether or not it will be a successful development overall, I dont know. We will have to wait and see.

Look fellas, I hope I am proven wrong. I am just saying that this type architecture doesnt have a good track record and I personally dont like it. I dont live in Orlando so, if y'all love it, then I guess it will not bother you aesthetically. As for whether or not it will be a successful development overall, I dont know. We will have to wait and see.

Well, first of all this is not Brutalist architecture, so I am not sure how it relates. Even if it were, for every bad example of brutalism I can give you a good example:

Boston Five Cents Bank, now a Borders

5CSB1.jpg

Even our own library, while generally despised on this forum, interacts well with the street.

How so, praha ?

Perhaps its just a stereotype--Miami is daring, they take chances architecturally and get praised for it when they do, they are more progressive (and I admit, they are, but this is their signature architectural firm) whereas everything in Orlando is "Disney." How many times have we heard some of our proposals described as Disney-esque? Maybe I'm just ranting.

Perhaps its just a stereotype--Miami is daring, they take chances architecturally and get praised for it when they do, they are more progressive (and I admit, they are, but this is their signature architectural firm) whereas everything in Orlando is "Disney." How many times have we hard some of our proposals described as Disney-esque? Maybe I'm just ranting.

Oh, I see. Well, actually, I've criticized Miami's proposals as being generally too safe. Only in very recent months are Miami proposals breaking out of the mold. And PBLT is every bit as daring and unconventional as recent Miami proposals.

It may just be jingoism, but I don't think Orlando's skyline palette will take a backseat to any Florida city's come five years.

Oh, I see. Well, actually, I've criticized Miami's proposals as being generally too safe. Only in very recent months are Miami proposals breaking out of the mold. And PBLT is every bit as daring and unconventional as recent Miami proposals.

It may just be jingoism, but I don't think Orlando's skyline palette will take a backseat to any Florida city's come five years.

I agree. Orlando will not have the tallest buildings, but the density should be better than all accept Miami.

Well, first of all this is not Brutalist architecture, so I am not sure how it relates.

I think it is a modified version of brutalist architecture. Wikipedia, in part, defines this as:

"Brutalism is an architectural style that spawned from the Modernist architectural movement and which flourished from the 1950s to the 1970s. The early style was largely inspired by the work of Swiss architect, Le Corbusier (in particular his Unit

PBL&T should perhaps be more symmetrical if its to be across the street from the Cthse, which is also symmetrical in orientation... or not.

I do agree that this type of architecture does not foster streetside retail and interaction. Just look at half the bldgs in Midtown and the Loop that were built in the sixties.

That being said, this is a good 'statement' complex. just hope its the right statement.

I do agree that this type of architecture does not foster streetside retail and interaction. Just look at half the bldgs in Midtown and the Loop that were built in the sixties.

I think the streetside will be a part of the final plans. Everything this project has been about since the land was purchased was "People, People, People." They brought in consultants that were all about "sense of place" and they criticized other downtown buildings for "repulsing people."

I attempted to model this new rendering in Google Earth, estimating the heights and basing everything off of the renderings found in this thread just to try and get an idea of how this development will interact with the rest of the downtown skyline. Here are some screen shots:

10tg.jpg

21wk.jpg

30ru.jpg

47pq.jpg

56hn.jpg

64fx.jpg

Archived