Center Place

cwetteland

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to scan this in but it did not look as good as I thought. I will post the rendering later. But for now.....

I love this concept. I would love to live in the lofts and look out at the public space and see a concert or kids playing frisbee. We are arriving gentlemen (and ladies)

I tried to scan this in but it did not look as good as I thought. I will post the rendering later. But for now.....

I love this concept. I would love to live in the lofts and look out at the public space and see a concert or kids playing frisbee. We are arriving gentlemen (and ladies)

Yes, jack, but are you snooty enough to live there ? Are you a member of the 'creative class' ? ;)

In this rendering none of the buildings look taller then the BOA building on the left

I just don't get it. If this project is about creating public space, add 10 more stories to three of the buildings to make them taller and eliminate another building. It looks like four 300 footers. It's an interesting project, but not the height I think everyone was hoping for in this location.

You're right about the heights.

I don't see much of a difference between this rendering and the first one, save the lower left bldg and the lower right's design.

With OC Cthse "shielding" this block from the east from the "flightpaths" or whatever, why waste time with these stumpy artsy bldgs and not turn the upper two into one large one, and they could still maintain the expansive base/pedestal to fill up the block.

The more I look at it, this bldg. or complex is way more dramatic/abrasive in appearance than the Pizzuti cube top ever was.

Go ahead, hang me.... but before you do, let me just say that regardless of my comments, I welcome this complex in a heartbeat. But, they need to be more creative with the garage structure. At least with Plaza North and South Towers, its hiden above the theatres and below the office floors and covered in precast like the rest of the building.

It's odd - the complex appears much smaller in scale (i'm not just talking height-wise) than it did in the previous rendering. Surely has to do with the fact that the latest rend. depicts the actual environment whereas the original was located in a forest. I'm not sure - maybe it's the angle or the poor coloring, but this latest depiction leaves me feeling dull.

I agree with the lot of you on the height this project should be giving our downtown skyline. Architecturally speaking, the design still doesn't perk my interest. The garage shouldn't be present in such a commanding way as it is visible from the centerpiece of the property-- the city green. Also, the "radical" design isn't why I as an Orlandoan don't like it; to me it's not vibrant or contemporary enough. Perhaps if they gave it some dynamic curvature and gave it colored glass it wouldn't be as sterile. Overall I do like the public space that it offers. That's definitely something we need. I hope they keep the retail and restaurant spaces as well. What about the space for the proposed commuter rail, is that still there?

When I look at it now, I see an 80's vision of the future where corporate America is watching everyone like big brother--- then Cyberdyne destroys humanity.

Worst. Renderings. Ever.

I couldn't tell you if I like these buildings or not b/c the details are so darn fuzzy. Are the buildings all glass? Are they encased in some type of metal framework? Are the designers using dull #2 pencils to crank out these renderings? Who knows?

I do agree that the parking garage seems awfully dominate. And that takes away from the whole "public plaza" thing. (BTW - I thought these plazas were "out" among urban planners. I thought they messed up a buildings interaction with the street, etc. etc.)

And I also agree that this design isn't all that striking, bold or daring. At least I think that's what I think. Like I said, I can't see the details.

Oh, I'm not complaining about the scanning...but the rendering itself.

Perhaps I shouldn't think of it as a rendering. I saw it in the paper and felt the same way...it's more of a visualization of a concept that's vague on the details.

Exactly! Everybody is so worked up about a building that is soooo far from being built. The buildings will not look like this. The honest to god truth is that the main tenant isin't even guaranteed let alone the final design.

Well, if Mr Barley says Orlando is boring, who are we to question him ?

Yeah I didn't really appreciate that in the article, either. Go ahead and insult our city. That'll sell us on your concept, Mr. Important Business Guy! :blink:

And Orlandonative, I really hope what you say is true, that it won't look like this. It's still hard to swallow all of these projects that are getting built, it is amazing - but at the same time Orlando has not had a good track record when it comes to building designs. Or buildings, period. It's hard to get out of the old mindset, especially when renderings such as these come along, even if they are preliminary. But I will happily admit that they are just that - preliminary renderings. And I think the old mindset will die away quickly once the Vue and 55 West get off beyond 10 stories during construction.

I just hope they get it into their heads to break 400 feet with at least 1 tower. Do Orlando a favor!

That's understandable. You just have to keep the faith. This is the problem with forums like UP who get the "inside" information. Sure it is great to get a sneak peak and watch the number of different designs that a building takes, but at the same time unless you are directly involved with construction or development you never really can be sure where a building is (even then you can't). A projects design is never final until CD drawings are released and construction commences.

I just think that this project is not only hard to conceive, but hard to imagine. Its easy for me to envision the Vue, the Plaza, Paramount, etc. all in place and improving the downtown streetscape, especially because these projects are infill. PBLT is literally trying to create space, create an environment rather than add to one. On top of this, the courthouse and BOA building do nothing to aid in that lofty challenge so it will certainly be interesting to see what becomes of not only this site, but this stretch of Orange.

I just think that this project is not only hard to conceive, but hard to imagine. Its easy for me to envision the Vue, the Plaza, Paramount, etc. all in place and improving the downtown streetscape, especially because these projects are infill. PBLT is literally trying to create space, create an environment rather than add to one. On top of this, the courthouse and BOA building do nothing to aid in that lofty challenge so it will certainly be interesting to see what becomes of not only this site, but this stretch of Orange.

Very true. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

That's understandable. You just have to keep the faith. This is the problem with forums like UP who get the "inside" information. Sure it is great to get a sneak peak and watch the number of different designs that a building takes, but at the same time unless you are directly involved with construction or development you never really can be sure where a building is (even then you can't). A projects design is never final until CD drawings are released and construction commences.

And no doubt we appreciate the "inside" info. :)

Archived