Center Place

cwetteland

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the artist took it upon himself to render all of the homeless that will infest this new plaza with some nice clothes. Nice touch.

Or should I say,

Wow, look at all of those people and not a single amputee in a wheelchair asking for change. Ambitious project indeed.

From the perspective of these renderings, I like the design much more. It looks almost European. What would complete the scene would be a light rail trolley zooming by or picking up passengers in that first rendering. Yes, I live in a fantasy world... that will be catered to in several weeks when I go to Japan!

what a difference a dash of color can do...

and glass.. if i'm not mistaken, the parking garage base and hotel pool deck base now seems to have a more glass/metal structure (i.e. mall style), rather than the hideous cement block previously. hope the artist is basing this on some new design renderings that i hope we will soon see!

I think it's fantastically...Disney. IMO, this belongs in Downtown Disney more than Downtown Orlando. And, you're right, the odd absence of homeless people just emphasises my point.

When it becomes fashionable to put homeless people in condo ads (ie when Miami does it) I'm sure Orlando will jump right on.

Where's the downtown Disney influence? I don't see it.

I think if you take those pics and take out half the people, add some dogs on leashes, a small handful of homeless wanderers, and pigeons, then, you have Orlando. This amount of people is probable in about 5-10 years, though (or a Friday evening at happy hour.)

The architecture doesn't really remind me of anywhere else. It kinda has a Euro feel, but the palms speak of somewhere else.

One day, people will look around and finally say, "That looks like Orlando."

I'm just wondering .. but has anyone here lived in what other people consider a great city that didn't have bums or 'amputees' or whatever begging for change in the city.. they are in Denver and always have been.. and everyone laments how much better the city would be if they could somehow be 'gotten rid of.' They were in Vancouver when I was there, ditto LA, Chicago, NY, everywhere really that I've been to that had more than 1 million people in or around the city. I don't think they detract from a city's attractiveness nor would ther absence exhance it much.

Yeah, but when they are at every corner harassing you for change thats when it makes a difference. Just like in San Fran. It makes you want to avoid the area.

Lighten up, man ! That's just the 'color' and 'diversity' of the city. [/sarcasm off] ;)

Yeah, but when they are at every corner harassing you for change thats when it makes a difference. Just like in San Fran. It makes you want to avoid the area.

yeah, speaking of SF, there's the "plant" or "tree" guy that stands near the wharf or whatever and is cloaked to look like a bush and then jumps out at you as a gimmick. I hear he makes buku $$. And then there's a guy in Philly who makes $80k/yr. that's $500/work day. Both homeless capitalists.

yeah, speaking of SF, there's the "plant" or "tree" guy that stands near the wharf or whatever and is cloaked to look like a bush and then jumps out at you as a gimmick. I hear he makes buku $$. And then there's a guy in Philly who makes $80k/yr. that's $500/work day. Both homeless capitalists.

At least there not on welfare[at least i hope not]

Lighten up, man ! That's just the 'color' and 'diversity' of the city. [/sarcasm off] ;)

I am talking about the people who call you names for saying 'Sorry I don't have any.' I don't have a problem with the street performers, like the "bush" guy he's funny. I've stood there for minutes laughing. Also, the robot men and the drummers have some pretty sweet moves. These people are legit.

I am talking about the people who call you names for saying 'Sorry I don't have any.' I don't have a problem with the street performers, like the "bush" guy he's funny. I've stood there for minutes laughing. Also, the robot men and the drummers have some pretty sweet moves. These people are legit.

I knew who you were talking about. Thus, the ;)

I get "harassed" more downtown here than I ever did in SF. At least there they entertain you. I had one dude chase me "hey photographer!"... but that was the most harrassing. Here I get followed by on bike, followed out of coffee shops, pizza places...

My prediction is that the more businesses and people that start moving into downtown, the more complaints the OPD will get, and the more they'll respond to the issue. Yes, there are homeless people in all cities, but I do agree that Orlando's are rather aggressive - aggressive because there isn't a strong enough message that it isn't welcome. Or, maybe 'strong enough', but certainly not frequent enough. That'll change.

• 2 weeks later...

www.centerplaceorlando.com

There are some cool early renderings on this site...just look around

I see CenterPlace, Orlando listed under current developments with this image:

p_do.jpg

When I click on it, I get an investor log-in page with this picture:

homepage_image.jpg

And finally a small pop-up window with the following stats:

-Prime Location at Orange Avenue, opposite Orange County Courthouse Complex

-Approx 5.64 acres, approx 245,721 sq.ft

-Multi-use

-3 high-rise buildings

-2 parking garages

...and this image:

b_do.jpg

Is there anything I'm missing? Other than that the two rendered images don't appear to agree on the building designs and that the first image I posted in this thread depicts the towers as being twisted, cantilevered at points, and angular.

Archived