Skybar NWA l Northwest Arkansas Off-topic

I'm really into the Historic Action/Adventure movies like Braveheart, King Arthur, Alexander, Troy and Kingdom of Heaven.

This years line-up includes:

• Underworld Evolution (Vampires anyone?)
  • X-Men 3 (SNIKT!!!)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (shiver me timbers)
  • Superman Returns (OMG!!!)
  • The Da Vinci Code (has Tom Hanks let us down yet?)
  • Hostel (will make Saw seem dull :-) get it? saw... dull :-D)
  • Annapolis (it's about time... I loved Top Gun)
  • Silent Hill (the video game gave me nightmares)

What did you think of Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven? I do like that genre as well but I have to say I didn't really care for Alexander at all. Kingdom of Heaven wasn't as good as I had hoped either. I liked aspects of the movie but to me it just had some odd pacing that seemed to bother me. It just felt, to me at least, that it was a movie that could have been great with a little tweaking.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you think of Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven? I do like that genre as well but I have to say I didn't really care for Alexander at all. Kingdom of Heaven wasn't as good as I had hoped either. I liked aspects of the movie but to me it just had some odd pacing that seemed to bother me. It just felt, to me at least, that it was a movie that could have been great with a little tweaking.

Alexander seemed a bit confusing at times but then it's being portrayed as the Greek plays of that time so it's understandable. I kept getting to parts in the movie that I thought was the end and then it seemed to start over. It could have played out better if it was filmed more like Troy, but I think they were going with a more artistic approach versus an action/adventure. There's a lower budget movie out on DVD about Alexander the Great that I'm planning to watch.

Kingdom of Heaven was a great story of the Crusades, but it compressed several of the Crusades into one to give an overall impression of what the Crusades were about. This may be the cause of the pacing problem and I think it would have made a great Trilogy. Lliam Neeson is a phenominal actor and it seemed after his character died Orlando Bloom just couldn't carry the movie on his own. It could have been better but for someone wanting to see the Crusades in action it's not that bad. The DVD has a very informative audio guide that tells facts about the Orders of Knighthood and historical information of the Crusades while the scenes play out.

Alexander seemed a bit confusing at times but then it's being portrayed as the Greek plays of that time so it's understandable. I kept getting to parts in the movie that I thought was the end and then it seemed to start over. It could have played out better if it was filmed more like Troy, but I think they were going with a more artistic approach versus an action/adventure. There's a lower budget movie out on DVD about Alexander the Great that I'm planning to watch.

Kingdom of Heaven was a great story of the Crusades, but it compressed several of the Crusades into one to give an overall impression of what the Crusades were about. This may be the cause of the pacing problem and I think it would have made a great Trilogy. Lliam Neeson is a phenominal actor and it seemed after his character died Orlando Bloom just couldn't carry the movie on his own. It could have been better but for someone wanting to see the Crusades in action it's not that bad. The DVD has a very informative audio guide that tells facts about the Orders of Knighthood and historical information of the Crusades while the scenes play out.

Thanks for the info about the audio commentary. Sounds like something I'd find interesting. I really did like the fact how they portrayed the Muslims and Christians in the movie. I know in the 'west' in today's world people don't have very positive views of Muslims in general. But for a while that area of the world was the most advanced and cultured areas. We use Arabic numbers today and not Roman numerals. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :D

Thanks for the info about the audio commentary. Sounds like something I'd find interesting. I really did like the fact how they portrayed the Muslims and Christians in the movie. I know in the 'west' in today's world people don't have very positive views of Muslims in general. But for a while that area of the world was the most advanced and cultured areas. We use Arabic numbers today and not Roman numerals. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :D
True to historical accounts, they went as far as making the Knights Templars (Order of the Temple) out to be the bad knights, always starting the fights with the Muslims. On the other hand the Knights Hospitaller (Order of Saint John of Jerusalem) and the Teutonic Knights (German Teutonic Order) were portrayed as the compassionate knights. The Knights Hospitallers are to be thanked for founding Europe's first hospitals, which gets it's name from these great knights of history. Although the Hospitallers were good healers, the Muslims were far more advanced in medicinal arts. In the movie the Muslim leader, Saladin, sent his physicians to care for the King of Jerusalem who was dying. Although he still died I still liked that scene in the movie.

I didn't know the Da Vinci Code was going to be made into a movie. I'll have to see that one, I know it will be real popular though.
Da Vinci Code is directed by Ron Howard and stars Tom Hanks, Ian McKellen, J

While we're on movies has anyone seen or heard anything on Memories of a Geisha? I haven't heard a lot of good things about it although I was curious about it because it had Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li all in one movie. Most peoplemight know Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Michelle Yeoh has appeared in quite a few Hong Kong movies. Gong Li has appeared in a lot on mainland China's 'art' films. Particularly Zhang Yimou and Chen Kaige's movies. I guess I'm in more of a Chinese mood after watching last night's performance at the Walton Arts Center.

Matt I noticed you changed your sig. Sorry if the Middle East forum didn't work out as planned. When I got busy something would usually get cut back and it a lot of time was that area of UP. For people like me it was also a bit hard to keep up with everything going on over there. So it was sometimes hard to think of ways to also contribute to the posts. It also seemed like you got saddled with quite a few forums too when you were made moderator.

Well, I decided I spend more time in the Arkansas forum, and it takes so much to do both Arkansas, Mid East, and Oklahoma, it really drains one out. I'm focusing on Arkansas now.

Well I'm certain that everyone over here look forward to you having more focus over here. Especially since we've been in a bit of a slow period.

Recently, UrbanPlanet.org has gone through exponential growth, growth that is faster

than we can really keep up with. In the last couple of weeks I have made

modifications to the site and equipment to allow for more growth, but we are still

pressed for more room to grow as over 300 new members (on average) join our site

each month.

I have always stated that UrbanPlanet.org will remain free to all members and I will

always abide by that promise, however as my desire continues to add features to the

site and forum, and as we grow to become more than just a forum, the prices of doing

business continue to rise. Advertising has helped offset such costs but only to a

certain extent. Beginning today you will find when registering for a new account

and in your My Controls (Purchase Paid Subscriptions) two new subscription choices.

Members and Members+ will continue to keep the features and access levels they have

had. New members will continue to be promoted automatically to Member status and to

Members+ status free of charge. Now for an introduction to the new subscription

plans, rates and features:

Plus Members [$20/year]

* 50MB Image Upload Space

* PM Attachments Allowed

* Ability to send up to 25 emails per day (up to 1 every 5 minutes)

* 100 message PM storage

* Username displays in purple on the online list

Premium Members [$50/year]

* 250MB Image Upload Space

* PM Attachments Allowed

* Ability to send up to 50 emails per day (up to 1 every 5 minutes)

* 250 message PM storage

* No waiting for search (20 second wait between searches is disabled)

* Username displays in orange on the online list

We are using PayPal as our gateway. You may draft from a bank account, pay via

credit card, or pay via your PayPal account. All subscriptions are for ONE full

year.

UrbanPlanet.org is not and will not turn into a subscription model. By doing this

on a donation/voluntary basis we are ensuring the future of UrbanPlanet.org.

By becoming a paying member, you will automatically receive future enhancements

included for free into your account based on Plus/Premium status. Many features are

coming down the pipe that will only be available to those with Plus/Premium

accounts. If you have any questions please make a post in this thread or send me a

PM. Thanks to all for making UrbanPlanet.org a great community on the web!

**For more information please visit the following thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21524

Hope this helps.

I'm the first plus/purple member I've seen so far. :D I've seen more premium members actually. Not sure if I really needed premium, to be honest not sure if I need plus but as much enjoyment I get out of the site I felt that I should contribute something. Now I can pretend I'm a moderator like Matt. :lol: I still think it was funny , my reaction to seeing some of the orange names. I some some prominent names and I thought it was some sort of new warning system. Not quite as bad as red like some of the ones I've seen. :lol:

Hey, That's cool. Congrats on the Upgrade. :D

Now you can act important with a different color name :lol:

I wonder if a moderator did the same would their color change? You'd think they'd leave it blue so people knew they were moderators. So if you contributed you might be out of luck in the color change. Course there's the other stuff to take in consideration other than the color you name is. :lol:

^I'm not sure what happens to Mods. and Global Mods. when they contribute. I'll ask Neo or Marc about it.

I bet you were getting sick of the old green color, right. :D

I didn't even know what color I'd be. Ironically I didn't see any plus members just premium members. It is interesting I guess to be a different color. Although in a few days I probably won't care anymore. :lol: